Team Regional Rankings (FINAL)--WITH SECTIONAL FAVORITES

maligned

A few small changes after holiday tourneys.

I noticed discussion on this topic slowed considerably after it was pinned to the top.  Please, by all means, feel free to keep questioning positions and adding information to the discussion. 

Happy New Year's Eve!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey maligned you are doing a great job on the updates! Got some info for you, the Greencastle site I believe is now at Martinsville! Northview has beat Martinsville head to head at the Northview Inv. back on 12-11-10! Northview won their own INV. that wkend beating THN,THS,Plainfield,Martinsville and South Vermillion going 5-0. Thnx

Thanks for the info on the site switch.  For now, I will leave Martinsville where they are based on overall body of work.  It's true that Northview got the head-to-head win, but Northview also has a couple of questionable losses and Martinsville has beaten a number of strong teams.  Northview beat them fair and square; but based on all the data, it was an upset.

Take a look at Adams Central in the AC regional.  They have had a strong season, including what would of been a 5 point match with Bellmont if you take away the forfeits.  They also beat Garrett in a close match.

Take a look at Adams Central in the AC regional.  They have had a strong season, including what would of been a 5 point match with Bellmont if you take away the forfeits.  They also beat Garrett in a close match.

lol, while I agree that AC definitely deserves  a look, your logic of taking away forfeits and then looking at a score makes no sense.......... What purpose would that serve?

AC is definitely in the discussion, despite the forfeits. :)  I have them 9th right now.  They do have the nice win over Garrett, but Garrett has other good results that off-set that one particular match (beating Leo, for example, when AC lost by a pretty good margin).

AC is definitely in the discussion, despite the forfeits. :)   I have them 9th right now.  They do have the nice win over Garrett, but Garrett has other good results that off-set that one particular match (beating Leo, for example, when AC lost by a pretty good margin).

I thought you were only keeping Garrett in the list to tick off Y2. Garrett is going to finish 4th in the ACAC round-robin (maybe fifth, not sure how they did against Heritage).  That hardly qualifies them as a top 8 for the regional.

I agree with keeping AC out of the top 8 since they'll probably be 3rd in the sectional.  No sense including more than two from each sectional.

Who else would you put in there?  Whitko and Dwenger have struggled mightily.  Other than a couple spotty successes, Woodlan's full season doesn't add up to Garrett's.  Look through the full season results instead of isolating one match here or there and I think you'll find there's no great candidate.  Everyone's got warts. 

Clearly Penn's 5-0 record at Bellmont and winning the Al Smith  not enough to shuffle the Jimtown region rankings.

I am fairly certain that when I finalize the Team Rankings tomorrow, Penn will be ahead of Mishawaka. If you take everything into consideration, even the subs that we have seen from both Penn and Mishawaka, I think on a statewide basis, you have to put Penn ahead.

As for the Team Regional Rankings, that is a lot different, because you have a smaller number of teams to choose from, so I won't say who should be where.....

Clearly Penn's 5-0 record at Bellmont and winning the Al Smith  not enough to shuffle the Jimtown region rankings.

I made this change in my mind and on paper, but forgot to swap them when I typed it in.  Thanks for the friendly reminder.

Wins against New Castle (40-27), Fishers (39-37) and Alexandria (40-27) don't show anything either. 

Just to like to throw this in there South Adams only beat Alexandria 36 to 31 at another tournament at Tri about two weeks ago and alex forefited two weight classes.

Yeah, Alex has a nice team.  Unfortunately, there are some bad results mixed in with the good--and you're in a loaded team regional.  In some other regionals, you would be ranked.  In your regional though, I've got you 12th, after Zionsville, Southmont, and North Central.

NC beat Columbus east 51-29 how are they above NC?

It was early in the year with multiple football guys missing from CE's team.  More importantly, NC had a couple of questionable losses while CE had more quality wins and no questionable losses after that post-football weekend.

Missed 3 sectional winners (Franklin, East Central, and FW Snider).  I'll take it.  Not sure I could correctly slot 29 of 32 winners many years.

Well you at least had Franklin as next best team,  East Central on your list and I'm guessing FW Snider just stepped it up big time cause not many saw that coming.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Dwenger beat Whitko at the Huntington Super Dual, I maybe wrong. And Dwenger didn't have it's full line-up from football.

Carroll, South Adams, Whitko, Dwenger, Homestead, Garrett, Leo, Adams Central--they're all in the mix for beating each other on the right day, just like last year.  Carroll has everyone back but one guy and hammered a very good Leo team 55-9.  Considering Leo beat a quality AC  team rather handily, 42-24, the Carroll over Leo result is to me the single best performance by any of these teams so far.  Still, South Adams' body of work has been very strong and they have a chance to do something special this year.  Whitko has last year to go on to some degree, but they lost to Dwenger (now seemingly full strength after football state finals, disregard most results before this past weekend) and barely beat a couple of improving, but not top teams (Columbia City and Wawasee) that I just don't think Carroll and South Adams would have struggled with.  I slotted Whitko above Dwenger because they were slightly stronger in the Whitko/Dwenger/Huntington North merry-go-round from this past weekend.  Dwenger may still prove to be stronger.  Homestead is above Garrett only because of their one common opponent (South Adams) performance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.