Whats with Good Wrestlers Quitting?

Southern Single

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a few kids that are solid wrestles that have up and quit this year. Do you know of a solid wrestler that called it quit?

I know of these three:

Jensen  T.H. South

Case      T.H. South

Pike      Bloomington South

Jensen has not quit, he will be wrestling soon per his head coach.

why disagree? first and foremost a kid must have his family support 100% and second a coach that will get the most out of a kid and a little more, that is the push. im talking about a kid with the aspiration to be a state champion will be one who is willing to go the extra mile because he loves the sport and likes winning. im not talking bout kids who are pushed into the sport by family or peer pressure

why disagree? first and foremost a kid must have his family support 100% and second a coach that will get the most out of a kid and a little more, that is the push. im talking about a kid with the aspiration to be a state champion will be one who is willing to go the extra mile because he loves the sport and likes winning. im not talking bout kids who are pushed into the sport by family or peer pressure

I disagree because I think that a kid can want to achieve at the highest level, but get to the point that he thinks it isn't worth all of the sacrifices he's been called upon (by whomever is doing the calling) to make.  That is what I consider burn-out.

i totally agree with the dropping weight issue......so many kids feel to much pressure to make weight that it affects their school work, social life and general peace of mind.....they end up hating wrestling cause they can never eat....especially thru the holidays......to many coaches put unrealistic goals on kids maintaining a weight that is really to low for them......that also affects their health which makes them feel bad and then it's no fun anymore.....sure you have the rare breed who loves it no matter what and has the mind set of a tank, but 99% of the kids are not that and will end their wrestling days when high school ends for them.....so whats the use in being miserable when high school is supposed to be fun?......as with any activity, it has to be somewhat enjoyable to keep teenagers interested......i know of a number of kids over the last few years that quit for this very reason....we all understand the thought behind getting as low as you can so you're the "bigger stronger" guy at that weight class, but are you?......did you lose so much weight (and alot of that is muscle), that you're no longer the stronger guy?.....wouldn't it be great if everyone just wrestled their regular weight?.....no cutting at all?.....i know that could never happen but how many more kids would stay out?......would it make a difference?......

wanting and doing are two different things. lots of kids want to win but are they willing to do what it takes to be a champion?

very well put.....and in my opinion, most really won't do what it takes even though they think they are.......

Burn out doesn't just come from being pushed in wrestling, kids have a lot of other things they are dealing with.........developing emotions, relationships, school, etc, etc. Often pushing too hard towards a sport causes them to be overwhelmed by other things. Every kid, parent, and coach are different.

How about our culture?  We live in a culture that preaches gettin' yours for you and doing whatever it takes...whatever it takes to be happy and comfortable.  

We aren't often taught that the most rewarding experiences in life (sports, career, relationships, God, all of it) come through trial, perseverance, difficulty, and sweat.  We shouldn't be surprised that kids coming into a counter-cultural sport like ours will often stop short of the finish line.  They have a million other options for comfort and 'happiness' that are much easier to grab in the moment.  The fruit that is a little higher up on the tree doesn't seem so appealing for picking when you're 16 years old in modern day America.

I've seen kids get pushed too hard by parents trying to relive the glory days--it absolutely happens.  But I've seen many more kids quit because it's too hard.  And they almost all regret it later when they've matured a few years.  I can't tell you how many guys my age I talked to after high school that said something along the lines of, 'What was I thinking?'

When some kids turn 18 and go into the armed forces they will come back and say I am glad I was pushed so hard, I wouldnt havd made it without it....some kids return when they are older and say I am glad I got pushed to go the extra mile and didnt quit, I got the job I wanted because of it....some kids come back and say when times were tough I was mentally strong enough to deal with my son having cancer, I didnt give up...Some kids have come back and said I wish I would have continued, life isnt fair, easy, always full of fun and joy and I know testing myself in wrestling would have prepared me for life more than most things I did after I quit.  Why are kids feeling pressured to go a certain weight??? They declare a weight, they compete at that weight and the season goes on.  If they dont want to cut then dont cut, if you dont want to wrestle dont wrestle..life is all about personal choices, make them and go on..btw there is peer pressure in life too.. I am a big advocate that wreslting isnt for everyone, but if you start something you finish it, if you dont want to wrestle the next season dont start. Just some food for thought.

I've just known people who have been wrestling since preschool and pressured to train year round and always push themselves. After 12+ years of that it became less of a joy and more of a job and they didn't get the same pleasure out of it they used to so they took a break for a year, sometimes forever. That's what I mean by burnout.

This is just one of the reasons I love Freestyle and Greco.  Loved wrestling it and now love coaching it.

Freestyle and Greco are a complete change of atmosphere in the wrestling room and at tournaments.  The pressure is off, kids get a break from cutting weight, and it's just more relaxed.  As a coach, I don't have to track kids down and find out why they're missing a practice.  The ones who want to be there and want to improve are the ones who are at the club practices.

"Burn-out" can happen with coaches, too.  Some coaches put too much emphasis on folkstyle in the off-season.  That just gets redundant and boring for the above-average wrestlers.  These coaches completely miss the opportunities that Freestyle and Greco provide along with great number of benefits those styles can have on folkstyle.

boots...that can happen with anything in life, not just because they trained to hard in wrestling...it happens with work all the time.  I think the term burn-out can be misused in many many cases. I have heard wrestlers claim burned out after 2 or 3 seasons..lol There is a fine line between burned out and just not having work ethic to continue.  I my mind it takes years and years with no breaks to actually claim burn out.  Many times people just dont want to do something anymore, that doesnt mean burn out per say...it could me they just grew to find they dont like it anymore for whatever reason.  But when people throw the term burned out around it always makes me skeptical.

A good thread for discussion.  People quit for different reasons.  I agree that weigh cutting sucks.  But the current rules are followed there would be no weight cutting.  1.5% of your body weight per week is not cutting weight it is being disciplined.  Too many kids try the easy way of starving themselves to get down rather than working their butts off. 

Here is my order of why good kids quit:

1.  Pressure... most often self induced... when you first start and are not very good, no one notices, then you get good and people start to watch you more and expect you to win....  some kids just don't respond to this very well.

2.  Girls....  there is not many other things in this world as powerful as that first experience with a girl... it can make us men do some very crazy things.

3.  Lack of discipline:  some kids just want an easy way and when they realize that nothing in wrestling is easy including the discipline it takes to become a champion they find something else to focus on. 

A good thread for discussion.  People quit for different reasons.  I agree that weigh cutting sucks.  But the current rules are followed there would be no weight cutting.  1.5% of your body weight per week is not cutting weight it is being disciplined.  Too many kids try the easy way of starving themselves to get down rather than working their butts off. 

Here is my order of why good kids quit:

1.  Pressure... most often self induced... when you first start and are not very good, no one notices, then you get good and people start to watch you more and expect you to win....  some kids just don't respond to this very well.

2.  Girls....  there is not many other things in this world as powerful as that first experience with a girl... it can make us men do some very crazy things.

3.  Lack of discipline:  some kids just want an easy way and when they realize that nothing in wrestling is easy including the discipline it takes to become a champion they find something else to focus on. 

Living situations/ Divorse stress of all that you have to have that counciling-family atmosphere from the coaches in tough times!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.