Penn JV @ North Newton?

crosstownrivals

Hanover Central 64  South Newton 15

Hanover Central 77 Frontier 12

Hnaover Central 54 Twin Lakes 15

Hanover Central 72 North Newton 3

Hanover Central31 Penn(JV) 34

What a nice job the coaches are doing at Penn. Their JV team can wrestle with anyone. Good luck to you and your program.

I think this quote by the HC coach is stretching it a little bit . Although I love the Kingsmen , Penn's JV could not wrestle with the states Elite . The Varsity would be a different story . Harper currently has the largest wrestling club in the United States , and it would not surprise me to see Penn win a team title within the next 5 years . I think they have a shot this year , but holes to fill at 160,171 and Hwt might be to much to overcome .

I didn?t say they could beat the best teams in the state. I said they could wrestle with the best team in the state. My understanding is that Penn is planning to send more than one team to multiple competitions on the same dates. For example this weekend they are  sending one team to Franklin and one to the Harvest Classic at Lake Central. Most of those young men we wrestled at North Newton would  be starters on many teams in our state. I was complementing the Penn program for their successes. I feel this is great for our state and wrestling.

Nick Petrov

Hanover Central Wrestling

I didn?t say they could beat the best teams in the state. I said they could wrestle with the best team in the state. My understanding is that Penn is planning to send more than one team to multiple competitions on the same dates. For example this weekend they are  sending one team to Franklin and one to the Harvest Classic at Lake Central. Most of those young men we wrestled at North Newton would  be starters on many teams in our state. I was complementing the Penn program for their successes. I feel this is great for our state and wrestling.

Nick Petrov

Hanover Central Wrestling

That is correct , the team that won the North Newton Tourney  was the Varsity Gold .  For the weekend tourneys , Penn will send a Varsity Black(1st string) Varsity Gold(2nd string) and a JV team to separate competitions . This gives more kids a chance to compete . Congrats also to the JV team(3rd string) for winning the Portage JV Super Dual .

This makes me laugh...How many other teams, if any, have more than one varsity team they send out to compete with other varsity teams? This is impressive and sounds to me like Harper will be winning multiple team titles in the future (if the team tournament is still around). Sounds like its only a matter of time before he moves up to the college ranks.

Penn's 2nd teamers also competed last night in Cassopolis and won the varsity super dual there, beating Cassopolis 70-3 and then they went on to defeat River Valley 76-0 on their way to their second varsity tournament win.  Congrats to penn and good luck on the rest of the year.

Penn's 2nd teamers also competed last night in Cassopolis and won the varsity super dual there, beating Cassopolis 70-3 and then they went on to defeat River Valley 76-0 on their way to their second varsity tournament win.  Congrats to penn and good luck on the rest of the year.

Good job Penn University! :)

I have asked this question before but I am not sure how it is legal to have "multiple" teams wrestle on a varsity schedule?  I understand why it is done to get kids matches but isn't this a loophole in the IHSAA rules that say you can't schedule over 18 points in a season?  I know people will say they have different people on the different teams thus the individual doesn't go over the 18 points.  I just don't know that is the right thing to do.  I don't have the luxury of having 60 plus kids in a room so maybe if i was in that position i would do it too.  Whats everyone elses opinion on this.  Like I said I am on the fence about it.  Lets hear the good and bad points.

I have asked this question before but I am not sure how it is legal to have "multiple" teams wrestle on a varsity schedule?  I understand why it is done to get kids matches but isn't this a loophole in the IHSAA rules that say you can't schedule over 18 points in a season?  I know people will say they have different people on the different teams thus the individual doesn't go over the 18 points.  I just don't know that is the right thing to do.  I don't have the luxury of having 60 plus kids in a room so maybe if i was in that position i would do it too.  Whats everyone elses opinion on this.  Like I said I am on the fence about it.  Lets hear the good and bad points.

I see absolutely nothing but positives in what Penn is doing.  How can anyone who is for the betterment of the sport not agree.  It is giving more kids opportunities, it is improving the level of competition in Indiana, and it is completely within the rules.  How can anyone who calls themselves a wrestling supporter not like what Penn is doing?  Sure, I can see not wanting to lose to Penn's JV squad, but at the same time, Hanover Central coach Nick Petrov put it best when he made such gracious comments in defeat by Penn's JV and even called it "great for the sport in Indiana".

Ranking Guy you beat me to the post...how could anyone have a problem with giving kids the opportunity to wrestle and grow the sport of wrestling in the state of Indiana.  Coach Skinner you speak of the "Luxury" of having 60+ kids in a room ...It is hard work providing the right kind of coaching and opportunity for wrestlers of all levels to compete ...the Penn Wrestling staff is doing an amazing job of orchestrating that many wrestlers and keeping them motivated.  If Coach Harper and his staff are willing to provide this opportunity to these wrestlers and seriously nothing but providing kids the opportunity to wrestle is going on here what could be bad? 

Coach Harper and his assistants have managed to get so many PHM kids interested in wrestling , that the numbers are staggering . How do you keep the interest up ? By giving kids as many matches as possible . Penn alone has 100 kids in the room , if your only giving 28 kids a chance to compete , how do you keep the other 72 kids interested if your not giving them matches ? We should be happy that so many kids are interested and are given the oppurtunity to compete  in the sport we all love .

I knew I would get a backlash from this haha.  Trust me I am all for matches for kids and recruiting.  If you say i am not you must not know me.  Madison finished with 8 kids last year before I got here and we have been working hard to get the numbers back up and currently have 28 on roster.  I understand your point of wanting to give kids as many matches as possible I wholeheatedly agree, that is why i try to get as many JV matches for our kids as possible.  (On a side not I was told by several officials at the War on the Wabash I was breaking IHSAA rules by wrestling JV matches at this super dual so you can't say I am not looking to get matches for my kids)

But I just worry that entering a JV squad into a varsity tourney can have some downsides as well.  Bear with me on this one,  Coming from a program that strugled for years with even winning a match before I became the head coach, Scottsburg eventually turned it around and we had 24 wins last year as a team.  Now we had the Jennings Co V2 squad on our schedule and we beat them both times we faced them but what would loosing to a JV or V2 squad due to the psyche of a varsity athlete at a school trying to turn there program around that might not be a die hard wrestler.   In todays athletes I wouldn't be suprised to see kids get taunted and give the sport up if they were on the fence about sticking with it.  And I know the response I will get is "if they quit we don't need them around anyway"  but don't we?  I am playing devil advocate here a little bit.  

I understand what teams are doing with this process and with that many kids in the room it can become hard to find JV matches for them all.  I think we should look at giving more JV oppurtunities for these JV programs accross the state.  And the statement is also correct that several of these JV squads can beat a majority of the varsity programs in the state.  

We talk about how we want classed sports because other sports have it.  With that same thinking what would the response be if a basketball team sent there JV squad to a varsity tourney?  (Which honestly I could care less about basketball but once again trying to play devil advocate here)

I was told by several officials at the War on the Wabash I was breaking IHSAA rules by wrestling JV matches at this super dual so you can't say I am not looking to get matches for my kids)

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! You were told that it is illegal to wrestle JV matches at a Super Dual? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.