Greatest HS match you've watched? Greatest HS match you wrestled?

navychiefmatt09

Alright. Time to reflect? What is the greatest match you ever witnessed in IHSAA Wrestling? How about the greatest match you ever wrestled in?

For greatest match witnessed:

95 IHSAA State Finals between Greg Larsen (Hanover) and Tim Meyers (Bellmont). Beast of a match. Literally blood, sweat and tears everywhere.

greatest match I wrestled:

96 Team State (1st round) against Steven Bradley (Beech Grove) . I don't remember the score, I just remember that that was the hardest I've ever wrestled in my life. Ended up losing after hitting an edge of the mat double and didn't get the toes in. Final score was like 3-2 or 4-3.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

State Finals wise seeing someone win four times  or a good battle that results in a OT win is always good.  

People would be suprised at the amount of good matches that get forgotten in the earlier rounds of state just because it wasn't the finals.  I can think of many that were great matches which came right down to the wire.

Not sure if I would called it the greatest I've ever seen but ever time I think about state I hope to see another scramblefest like William vs Sessa final  in 05.

against Steven Bradley (Beech Grove) Ended up losing after hitting an edge of the mat double and didn't get the toes in.

Well better memory than me against Bradly.  I got in on a deep single leg and he still managed to rip it off straight to the most perfect headlock I had ever been put in.  It wasn't choking the life out of me I just couldn't move.  I always said he looked like Skelator off of He-man back then though.  Not that I was ever big but he definitely dwarfed me in physical appearance back then and I was cutting to make weight.

Well I have 3 in mind jaggers vs sheets was unreal back and forth action...Dolly vs mauer In the 04 finals dolly hit a front flip tryin to escape in final OT and Blake held on ...Mauer vs Newport in the finals wad SICK mauer was in somany memorable matches at state

Best match I was in wad Every MATCH me and Barnhizer were in all three matches down to the wire and every matches score was 6-4 including the regional finals

Omg pickle is one of  my best friends I heard bout this match wish I could see it them 2 were two of the biggest HS kids ever...fun fact Nate beat Jon fitch 2x that year

You still in NC? I just moved back as a Trainer for Naval Special Warfare  Candidates. Been trying to find Pickle since I got back. Ran into Motl a few times.

Matt Hardman. Wrestled for Rex with Pickle. Assistant coach there now.

rite on I saw ya last weekend at the meet I live in muncie now but I haven't seen pick In a few weeks ill get his number for ya bro...man Mullins is swoll isn't he..looks like he ate the 3 pounder LOL..

That guy is a beast. He's benching somewhere near 300. He actually said 275 was too easy.

Pickle and Motl have been re-incarnated as Jeff Moffield. Same mentality.. Watches Rocky movies all the time.

Great posts!  I hear some great names on this and can think of dozens of matches that were awesome!  Leavell vs. Maldanado part 1 and 2, Cannon vs. Leavell part 1 and 2, Bradley vs. Torres, Hill vs. Brimm, Hill vs. Pleak part 1 and 2, Bradley vs. Leavell, etc.  

So, because it's hard to lock in on one, I will have to go with one I know for sure: an exhibition match the other day between two autistic kids that went harder than most people I've seen.  The entire 6 minutes was just one big scramble, so much so that when the match was over the ref raised both hands and the crowd went wild!  I am not being funny by any means as all coaches know that we can't teach heart, and I wish I could take just a piece of theirs and spread it throughout our entire room.  It meant so much to both.  Great kids and great match!

Thegreatest H.S. match I've ever wrestled?  Probably Ryan Schoettle in the Semi-State Finals my sophomore year.  I would choose this match above all of my state finals and national matches because of two reason: 1) it gave me the confidence to be considered among the state's elite, and 2) was the start of my media coverage throughout my H.S. career.   I've had some other good matches I can recall (vs. Steve Bradley part 3,4, and 5, Leroy Vega, Mac Taylor, Nathan Challis, Justin Slone, Corey Williams, etc.) and others (two in H.S.) I'd like to get back (Sessa and Kelly) Arrghhhh.  Sounds like a new post!!!!  

forgot to add Kevin Troy beating undefeated returning state champ and jr world ch David Locke of delta 7-1 at the greatest dual meet of the century cathedral vs delta 1984. Locke later on won the state that year with his only loss to Troy.

Great posts!  I hear some great names on this and can think of dozens of matches that were awesome!  Leavell vs. Maldanado part 1 and 2, Cannon vs. Leavell part 1 and 2, Bradley vs. Torres, Hill vs. Brimm, Hill vs. Pleak part 1 and 2, Bradley vs. Leavell, etc.  

So, because it's hard to lock in on one, I will have to go with one I know for sure: an exhibition match the other day between two autistic kids that went harder than most people I've seen.  The entire 6 minutes was just one big scramble, so much so that when the match was over the ref raised both hands and the crowd went wild!  I am not being funny by any means as all coaches know that we can't teach heart, and I wish I could take just a piece of theirs and spread it throughout our entire room.  It meant so much to both.  Great kids and great match!

Thegreatest H.S. match I've ever wrestled?  Probably Ryan Schoettle in the Semi-State Finals my sophomore year.  I would choose this match above all of my state finals and national matches because of two reason: 1) it gave me the confidence to be considered among the state's elite, and 2) was the start of my media coverage throughout my H.S. career.   I've had some other good matches I can recall (vs. Steve Bradley part 3,4, and 5, Mac Taylor, Nathan Challis, Justin Slone, Corey Williams, etc.) and others (two in H.S.) I'd like to get back (Sessa and Kelly) Arrghhhh.  Sounds like a new post!!!!  

New Post? What match or matches would you like to have back?

Sounds good.

I forgot a match... Does anyone remember way back when you wrestled sudden death... Just kept wrestling until someone scored? I wrestled in a tournament the year before they changed the rule to limit OT.

Ben Davis Freestyle tournament.

I wrestled against a kid named Matt Graham. We traded wins for years...since we were 6 years old... At this tournament we wrestled the two 2 minute periods and came out tied. So overtime started. I think on the bout sheet, the final match time was the original 4 minute match and 27 minutes of overtime. Great match though.. 30 minutes of shots...re shots...scrambling... and parents screaming at the ref to just end the match... to just make something up to end it.. because they couldn't pull either one of us off the mat.

few years ago not sure when but zimmer of angola and schmitt of castle. ultimate OT great match. then schmitt attempted the back flip after  but was too worn out almost pulled it off hahaha then zimmer got the mental attitude so rewarded for a well fought runner up

Mauer vs Dolly

I agree !!This was a dog fight to the end and could have gone either way. I felt Dolly wrestled a little better but just could not come up with the win. No real loser here!!! A couple of real studs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.