Ball State Wrestling

infowrestling

I know this topic has been brought up before, but is there any chance Ball State will revitalize their wrestling program?  I think it would be so beneficial for our state to have another Division 1 wrestling program.  I haven't heard a push for this in sometime, and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything.

They have been talking about starting a  Club Wrestling program for probably well over 10 years now at at Ball State.  But last I heard little university support existed and financially it was a still an issue.  I agree Indiana would benifit from another DI program and the MAC conference would be a great one to be in.  However, Ball State really doesn't seem to be concerned about adding male sports being that they have dropped several over the last few years to comply with the NCAA schools weak interpretation of satisfying Title IX.

Maybe, all of the Ball State alumni could band together and push for a wrestling program.  I'm sure it's a very far cry from happening, but I can't imagine how much the Fort Wayne, and Indianapolis areas would benefit by having a Division I program in their back yard.

We have fewer Division 1 wrestling programs than all of the surrounding states.............Kentucky doesn't really count does it?

Some old data, but the position still holds true.  Football should/needs to be excluded from Title IX.  Then we still start seeing wrestling teams come back. 

The General Accounting Office, which gathers data for Congress, has determined that, as of 1999, women's teams outnumbered men's across the country by 330. In terms of players, however, men, despite casualties that included 2,648 wrestlers, still held an advantage of 69,000 participants.

The discrepancy -- in fact, the discrepancy and then some -- is attributable to football, which is what complicates all of this. What separates football from everything else is that 1) it requires a lot of athletes, 2) it makes a lot of money, and 3) women don't play it much.

Since football is such an anomaly, and since it supports the other sports at many schools, why not eliminate it from the formula and then match the numbers between men and women? The intent of Title IX was to ensure that public funding is committed on an equal-opportunity basis, but in many instances football doesn't require funding; it provides it.

BSU had a club team back in 95-96. We practiced in the old gym in the quad. I can't even remember the coaches name but it was just a few wrestlers and I think the team went to just a few open tournaments.  It would take several very dedicated people to sucessfully get a club sport going. A great coach, substaintial funding and several talented wrestlers that want to compete at a high level as a clubteam.  I hope it gets going.

I wrestled for Mishawaka and then attended Ball State from 2004-2008 and at that time, all they had was an intramural wrestling tourny, that was 1day in february and usually was the sunday after indiv. or team state, there was talk of guys coming together to try and get a club going or even a tourny once each semester but it never went anywhere

I doubt you see wrestling added at DI schools any time soon.  Right now there are wrestling programs being added at the small school level because those schools will benefit from another 30-40 kids on campus.  Ball State for example would not be affected that much by a 30-40 student swing.  Take schools like Indiana Tech and Trine who have recently added wrestling, having 30-40 more kids on campus is something that the school will feel.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but that is the honest truth.  I would love to see schools like Ball State and Indiana Sate rejuvenate wrestling, but about the only way it would be considered would be for some big time donor to come in with the money to immediately endow the program.

That is really what I was thinking also.  My thought process is that a wrestling program at Ball State would benefit ME! So why wouldn't they consider it?  I'm guessing it's because my pockets are around 30 million short of having a say in those types of decisions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.