PRE-SEASON RANKINGS POSTED!!!!!

RankingsGuy

hey everyone, the pre-season rankings have been posted!  there are definitely kids that i have not heard weights on, so please continue to update me with those weights, as well as comments/criticisms of the rankings!  looking forward to the chat tmrw night at 8 pm, as i plan to use it to preview the season, gather info to update the rankings, and open the floor for questions..

with just some minor tweaks its nice preseason list.  Like any preseason, its a starting point...thanks for all the work!

Yeah I can think of a few region kids I thought would be there, and a few kids from HHC that I thought would be there.  But the competition in some of these weight classes (as they are now) are very very deep. We had 3 ticket round juniors, who you would expect to take the next step as seniors in the same weight class, not able to fit into some of these deeper weight classes.  Already excited for some of these possible match-ups.  Again nice job rankings guy

Hey RankingsGuy, I have a couple of topics for discussion on tonights chat.

1.  2 New Castle guys ranked at 119 and 2 Mater Dei guys ranked at 160.

2.  I noticed a couple of state qualifiers from last year that were not in the rankings.  Alonzo Shepherd (Jeffersonville) and Luke Welch (Castle). What are your thoughts about these guys and what looks like stacked weight classes they are in?

3.  145 only has 15 guys ranked.  What about Drake Meska from Jay County?

4.  There have been many rumors that Trey Reese (Indian Creek) will be at 215 and you have him ranked at 171.  Do you have information on what weight he will wrestle this year and where he would fit in at 215?

5.  Gabe Holt (Columbus North) beat Brock Wathan(Jennings County) in the sectional and Joey Juliano (Mooresville) in the semi-state.  What are your thoughts about where he may fit.

6.  Several Hoosier Hills Conference guys that I was curious about.  Zach and Steven Rieker from Columbus East both lost in ticket round last year.  Robby Taylor from Madison.  Joey Resch, Justin Baldwin and Iyan Bass from Jennings County all lost in the ticket round last year.

I know that is quite a few items to discuss, but your thoughts about these guys would be greatly appreciated.  Again you do a great job and I am in no way complaining about these rankings.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge and insight.

Don't want to open up a can of worms, but looks like the region may have dried up a bit if these rankings mean anything.  Didn't see much love for the entire Merr. Semistate.  I am from the region and was afraid of this.  I do think these early predictions seem pretty accurate considering we don't really know for sure what weights the guys are going to be wrestling at.  New Castle semistate may be a little over rated in some cases.  Just another man's opinion.

6.  Several Hoosier Hills Conference guys that I was curious about.  Zach and Steven Rieker from Columbus East both lost in ticket round last year.  Robby Taylor from Madison.  Joey Resch, Justin Baldwin and Iyan Bass from Jennings County all lost in the ticket round last year.

I'd concure on some of those HHC guys.  Based on their preformance last year they would be one's I would at least put on the "to watch" list for future rankings.  I'm guessing some of the discussion tonight will be geared towards setting up that "to watch" list for the RC to start building a data base from.  The current list is a great springboard to start from though.  

1.  2 New Castle guys ranked at 119 and 2 Mater Dei guys ranked at 160.

2.  I noticed a couple of state qualifiers from last year that were not in the rankings.  Alonzo Shepherd (Jeffersonville) and Luke Welch (Castle). What are your thoughts about these guys and what looks like stacked weight classes they are in?

3.  145 only has 15 guys ranked.  What about Drake Meska from Jay County?

4.  There have been many rumors that Trey Reese (Indian Creek) will be at 215 and you have him ranked at 171.  Do you have information on what weight he will wrestle this year and where he would fit in at 215?

5.  Gabe Holt (Columbus North) beat Brock Wathan(Jennings County) in the sectional and Joey Juliano (Mooresville) in the semi-state.  What are your thoughts about where he may fit.

6.  Several Hoosier Hills Conference guys that I was curious about.  Zach and Steven Rieker from Columbus East both lost in ticket round last year.  Robby Taylor from Madison.  Joey Resch, Justin Baldwin and Iyan Bass from Jennings County all lost in the ticket round last year.

I know that is quite a few items to discuss, but your thoughts about these guys would be greatly appreciated.  Again you do a great job and I am in no way complaining about these rankings.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge and insight.

Thanks for the topics of discussion cewrestlingfan... i truly believe that transparency in the rankings is great for indiana wrestling and i value people's questions and opinions and hope i can give my take on things tonight in a way that is satisfactory to everyone.  let me just start with the two questions of yours that i can answer the quickest, and i will be sure to expand on the others tonight...

2 kids from NC at 119 and 2 kids from MD at 160 are simply mistakes that I overlooked.  I do expect Brenden Campbell to be at 119 since he has wrestled in that weight pre-season, so I expect Alex Catron to move up to either 125 or 130, but have not got official word of where he'll be.  Similarly, I have been told that John Sims will wrestle 160 this year, which creates an interesting situation at MD because Dalton Brandenstein cannot simply move up to 171, because Josh Boots is there.  Also, I have not got a lineup from Mater Dei and will be interested to see how that all shakes out.

Per his father, Trey Reese is still playing football and plans to start the season at 215 and drop down to 171 by sectional time.  That is why he is ranked there.  As far as where he would fit in at 215?  I actually had him ranked number 1 at 215 when I originally thought that he was planning on wrestling there.  I think there is a huge benefit in the upper weights of knowing how to wrestle.  Not to take anything away from the other 215 pounders, but I was not blown away by anyone in the 215 pound weight class last year except for Cleveland, Lentz, and in flashes, Keith Knura.  If Reese were able to manage the strength of the athletes at 215, I believe that he'd be the favorite at that weight class given his ability to wrestle, and execute techniques.  If you look at the successful upper-weights, they are the ones who are agile and technically sound, despite their large bodies. (Pat Day, Marcus Shrewsbury, Dexter Larimore, Matt Hasbrook are a few that come to mind)

Hope this is a good start, looking forward to the chat tonight..

Don't want to open up a can of worms, but looks like the region may have dried up a bit if these rankings mean anything.  Didn't see much love for the entire Merr. Semistate.  I am from the region and was afraid of this.  I do think these early predictions seem pretty accurate considering we don't really know for sure what weights the guys are going to be wrestling at.  New Castle semistate may be a little over rated in some cases.  Just another man's opinion.

Interesting that you say this, since most of the time I am accused of being biased towards the region.  That said, I think this could be the year that the New Castle SS finally overtakes the Merrillville SS.  Gone are the days that Merrillville takes half or more than half of the weight classes, and I think CIA's success in the greater Indianapolis area could be one explanation for this.  Tsirtsis, Roach, and maybe Ayersman are the Region's only good hopes for a title right now given the weights as they sit on my pre-season rankings.

didn't isaiah bradley lose to riley mcclurg from bg twice this off season?

yep.. folkstyle state and a freestyle match.....

close matches, they trained together alot during much of offseason.....

riley is a very good wrestler and i hope he will be fully healthy from his leg injury and able to wrestle at a high level this year

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.