UFC 117- SILVA VS SONNEN

devildog47959

Saturday Aug. 7th-  This fight is just around the corner! Who u got? Although Sonnen was an All-American wrestler at Oregon, idk if he has the skill to stand up with Silva and i dont think silva will allow this fight to go to the ground. Silva is on another level right now i cant pick against him.

Slva by TKO

on paper this card looks the best of the year.  Chael is talking smack to get inside Andersons head. 

Anderson by KO

Fitch by dec

Guida by dec

Almedia by sub

dos Santos by tko

Anderson Silva (26-4; #1 Middleweight & #5 Light Heavyweight)* vs. Chael Sonnen (24-10-1; #2 Middleweight)*?

-Jon Fitch (22-3; #2 Welterweight)* vs. Thiago Alves (16-6; #3 Welterweight)*

-Clay Guida (26-11) vs. Rafael Dos Anjos (14-4)

-Matt Hughes (44-7; #7 Welterweight)* vs. Ricardo Almeida (12-3)

-Junior dos Santos (11-1; #5 Heavyweight) vs. Roy Nelson (15-4)

-Thiago Silva (14-2) vs. Tim Boetsch (11-3)

-Dustin Hazelett (12-5) vs. Rick Story (10-3)

-Stefan Struve (19-4) vs. Christian Morecraft (6-0)

-Johny Hendricks (8-0) vs. Charlie Brenneman (11-1)

-Ben Saunders (8-2-2) vs. Dennis Hallman (41-13-2)

-Rodney Wallace (9-2) vs. Phil Davis (6-0)

I have no clue what to think in the Silva Sonnen fight.

Sonnen

On one hand I like the step up to the plate approach Sonnen is bring to the fight.  He seems to have the drive and look in his eye that could allow him to be a little super human for some of this fight.

One the other hand the trash talk is starting to go a little overboard.  That attitude if not in check could cause him to go off gameplan and take a major tactical risk which will chance the fight quickly and end things badly for Sonnen.

Silva

One one hand Silva has superior skills and should be able to embarass Sonnen from most positions.  Even if he get taken down he should be able to fend off the attack with little damage until its get back to standing.

One the other hand Silva's "clowning" in the ring can only go so far.  I know the guys upset he doesn't get challenged but at some point that stuff becomes overdone and someone needs to stop it.  The Sonnen trash talking seems to be an attempt to get Silva into the "Clowning" persona (though less than last time if he want to keep fighting according to Dana) where he will throw crazy stuff.  Then when he thinks he can do no wrong in the fight Sonnen can find the opening he needs to win.  Maybe a good idea but will it work.  Silva may just come out and try to get a 1 min TKO and walk out like its just another day at the office.

Head says Silva TKO in 3rd round.  But something makes me want to see Sonnen rise to the occasion and make it a 5 round battle though I think even that will end with a Silva win by decision.

Fitch and Alves should be a night fight.

Guida has been a fighter to watch since he returned to the UFC. Something he has chanced in his  training or mental game has payed off for him.

Who know what to think of a think of Roy Nelson.  About as graceful as you can be for a guy with a mega beer gut. Then you have dos Santos who seems to need to prove somethign to the UFC match makers.

To me Hendricks still hasn't made a complete turn to MMA fighter and relies a lot on wrestling when he gets in a fix but he has been improving and the 8-0 record says something is going right.

Phil Davis is becoming a very well versed fighter that could who could be a major UFC name down the line.

Dennis Hallman (man he's had a lot of fights) and Matt Hughes on the same card is noteable.

Midwest MMA grind prepped Guida for UFC

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/article_80ee53b3-d768-5f78-9a1f-dbfe2ea52fc2.html

When Clay Guida picked up an extra $25,000 for a Fight of the Night performance against Diego Sanchez last June, he knew it was about time to say goodbye to his Warrior.

UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen

When: 9 p.m. today.

Where: Oracle Arena, Oakland, Calif.

TV: Pay-per-view ($44.99).

Main card

Middleweight title fight: Chael Sonnen (26-10-1) vs. champion Anderson Silva (26-4)

Welterweight: Thiago Alves (22-5) vs. Jon Fitch (25-3, 1 NC)

Lightweight: Rafael dos Anjos (14-4) vs. Clay Guida (26-8)

Welterweight:Ricardo Almeida (12-3) vs. Matt Hughes (45-7)

Heavyweight: Roy Nelson (16-4) vs. Junior Dos Santos (11-1)

Preliminary card

Welterweight: Dustin Hazelett (14-5) vs. Rick Story (10-3)

Light heavyweight: Rodney Wallace (9-2) vs. Phil Davis (6-0)

Light heavyweight: Todd Brown (15-1, 1 NC) vs. Tim Boetsch (8-3)

Welterweight: Charlie Brenneman (12-1) vs. Johny Hendricks (8-0)

Heavyweight: Christian Morecraft (6-0) vs. Stefan Struve (23-4)

Welterweight: Ben Saunders (8-2-2) vs. Dennis Hallman (64-13-2, 1 NC)

Silva, After Getting Dominated, Subs Sonnen

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Silva-After-Getting-Dominated-Subs-Sonnen-26175

For the better part of five rounds, Chael Sonnen did exactly what he said he was going to do to Anderson Silva, but in a split second, the middleweight king turned the tables.

* Wow sounds like this was 1 hell of a fight... wish i could have seen it! i knew that if Silva had a weakness it was wrestling. Sonnen was dominating from everything i have read.. Silva got the win but look out he is no longer ''untouchable'' Sonnen will b back and the Re-Match will be 1 of the biggest fights in UFC history! Man i miss UFC!

Silva Gets Last Word

http://uk.ufc.com/news/Silva-Beats-Sonnen

OAKLAND, CA,? Chael Sonnen promised that he would give UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva a fight in their UFC 117 main event Saturday night at Oracle Arena and he lived up to his word as he dominated the first four rounds of their bout. But in the fifth, it was Silva pulling off an incredible triangle choke that allowed him to retain his title and get the last word on the challenger.