IS THIS LEGAL???

I hope you didn't see the fan turnout at the WTT's this year then TAE.  Or the scholastic duals at Wabash College....If I were a coach of a club or high school in W.central Indiana or Western Indianapolis, Lafayette, or Terre Haute area I would have my kids in attendence for that event.  Great two days of wrestling with some elite matchups.

• 4 months later...

I think as  wrestler A who has wrestler B in the air, wrestler A has to return wrestler B with control back to the mat as not to slam. Sorry that was a slam, and wrestler A's only intention was to slam and showed no control of wrestler B in returning him to the mat. ::)

In freestyle wrestling a great deal more is open to the referees interpretation of the rules. I am not a ref but I would interpret this as a "brutal" move which could lead to disqualification for the offensive wrestler.Reference Articles 53-55 pages 51-53 of freestyle rules book for clarification of all the possoble outcomes. I am not a ref as I said but in the "spirit of the sport" my call would be to send a message of,  this is not acceptable standard for wrestling at least at this level. The risk of serious injury are too great. Any one who does not agree.... well ... you could always join the Marines  and hit the Afgan front with my nephew Eric. Were the only rule is to stay alive and that includes killing the opponent(enemy) in that pursuit.

In freestyle wrestling a great deal more is open to the referees interpretation of the rules. I am not a ref but I would interpret this as a "brutal" move which could lead to disqualification for the offensive wrestler.Reference Articles 53-55 pages 51-53 of freestyle rules book for clarification of all the possoble outcomes. I am not a ref as I said but in the "spirit of the sport" my call would be to send a message of,  this is not acceptable standard for wrestling at least at this level. The risk of serious injury are too great. Any one who does not agree.... well ... you could always join the Marines  and hit the Afgan front with my nephew Eric. Were the only rule is to stay alive and that includes killing the opponent(enemy) in that pursuit.

Well said.

My cousin Eric is there too ( former LN wrestler)

I see two mistakes regarding this call:  1) In 'freestyle terms' this is clearly brutality as FS referees call it.  These are not international level athletes.  They are high school kids.  This is no different than the NFL helmet contact rules this season.  Sport is sport, a move like this is more like gladiators.  2) If that is not brutality, then the referee needs to call the fall so that this kid doesn't have to get up and risk having that happen again!

If I were scoring this match it would have been a five point move; 3 for the first bounce and 2 more back exposure for the second bounce  ::)

There is no place in wrestling for this.  It has been said before, keep those kinds of moves inside the cage.  If you agree with this call, then you are saying that this move should be allowed at every local tourney and state finals.  Simply nonsense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.