IS THIS LEGAL???

I can't think of any specific Freestyle rules that would cause this to be called illegal.  Folkstyle - definitely illegal, but Freestyle - no.

However, at the Cadet Duals the coaches were specifically informed that the referees were instructed to immediately stop the match when the attacker is on his feet with the defensive wrestler hung over his back.  This was to prevent the attacking wrestler from going backward and landing on top of the defensive wrestler.  The referee should have stopped the match as soon as he stood up.

In this example, though, the attacking wrestler went forward and did not land on the defensive wrester's torso.  The defensive wrestler definitely hit the mat hard, but that can happen from a variety of positions in Freestyle.

It's OK if you think it's OK, just don't whine when wrestling continues to drop in numbers.  ::)

If the kid signed up for MMA, he should accept that as normal...but I think he thought he was wrestling, who knows what he's thinking now (probably something like "I don't wanna go to school today momma...I wanna stay home and make cookies with yooouuu?")

How about unneccesary roughness? Is there not a rule against that in freestyle?

FS is pretty close to MMA rules (regarding unnecessary roughness) except you can't punch, elbow, kick or try to "choke out" your opponent.  Obviously the scoring and the end result for victory are very different between FS and MMA.  I'm not "hating" on FS at all.  Just my observation.

What are you talking about ....mma.

That was simply a tough takedown. You know what...if wrestling numbers continue to decline because its a tough sport, then then we can just have a tough sport with few guys left. I'm all for getting more kids out, but not at the expense of making the sport wimps. That was a very athletic move, feet to back, good 3.

That was a very athletic move

Wouldn't call it athletic, merely brute strength.  Hoisting an opponent into the air and drilling him back into the mat takes little to no athleticism and don't jump down my throat.  I'm not saying it should be illegal I'm just disagreeing with you that it was an athletic move.

athletic

  Spelled[ath-let-ik]

of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.

Strength is part of athleticism. I would also venture to say that that involved physical skill and agility. So? You can disagree all you want, you are just wrong.

athletic

  Spelled[ath-let-ik]

of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.

Strength is part of athleticism. I would also venture to say that that involved physical skill and agility. So? You can disagree all you want, you are just wrong.

Nuh uh, YOU ARE!

What are you talking about ....mma.

That was simply a tough takedown. You know what...if wrestling numbers continue to decline because its a tough sport, then then we can just have a tough sport with few guys left. I'm all for getting more kids out, but not at the expense of making the sport wimps. That was a very athletic move, feet to back, good 3.

Just as the modifications to create folkstyle have "wimpified" the American wrestling landscape?  And you have every right to feel that way if you do, but don't complain when it is you alone in the dance studio (formerly known as the wrestling room)

Awood. It's hard to even understand what you are saying.

I guess I will have to clear a few things up ....

I didn't make any comment on folk style wrestling.

I said it was a tough takedown, worthy of the 3. (an implication of freestyle.) My comment was solely on freestyle.

As far as I know there aren't any 'freestyle wrestling rooms' in jeopardy of closing because kids are scared to get hurt.

....AND if there are.... Then the last few cowboys can sit around and listen to a little Springsteen and reminisce about the good ole days before you wimps killed the sport to make it more soccer mom friendly.

I think there's a balance to be struck here.  First, I don't think that physicality, or violence to call a spade a spade, isn't inherently bad for the popularity of the sport.  This can be evidenced by the popularity of MMA in recent years.  I think our problem with this is in two distinct areas.  

1.  Safety of our children:  I am not a parent, and I admit that my views on this may change when I become one.  This clip frightens us, because the implication is that those that we care about most could be hurt.  Though this is true (and it is the reason we don't have freestyle in high schools), we cannot hope to grow a sport based on combat without accepting, and even embracing, some reasonable possibility of injury.

2.  Attitude of the competitor:  This is the bigger issue as far as I'm concerned.  I would score the situation as shown in the video (3 points).  However, I would argue that the move was unnecessarily rough.  I AM NOT COMMENTING ON THE CHARACTER OF THE WRESTLER IN THE VIDEO.  I do not know him, and I assume he is a fine young man who was not being malicious.  As coaches we teach kids to go hard all the time.  Yet, we expect them not take their intensity to a level of anger.  That's a hard line to walk, even as an adult, and it's one of the greatest life lessons of the sport.

Wrestling is not in danger if we can promote the positive aspects of the sport, including the physicality, and use the sport to teach the life lessons that we all know are available through it.

I dont know the rule book but the move seems legal, but as I coach I would have thought it was a slam.  Isnt the offensive wrestler responsible for the safe return of his opponent to the mat? If the outcome wasnt the hard direct impact, and the offense wrestler would have had control of the impact I would have said 3 points, no slam and awesome move.  As it stands, once the defensive wrestler was pulled toward the mat, he couldnt protect himself and the offensive wrestler couldnt protect him either. So it was athletic, it was incredible instinct and strength, it was three points, but in my opinion without protection of safe return it was a slam. 

I dont know the rule book but the move seems legal, but as I coach I would have thought it was a slam.  Isnt the offensive wrestler responsible for the safe return of his opponent to the mat? If the outcome wasnt the hard direct impact, and the offense wrestler would have had control of the impact I would have said 3 points, no slam and awesome move.  As it stands, once the defensive wrestler was pulled toward the mat, he couldnt protect himself and the offensive wrestler couldnt protect him either. So it was athletic, it was incredible instinct and strength, it was three points, but in my opinion without protection of safe return it was a slam. 

Is the safe return of the defensive wrestler to the mat in FS?  I don't know what the rule book says but defensive wrestlers are routinely brought to the mat in an unsafe manner during most every fs match I've witnessed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.