Toledo Public Schools Cuts Wrestling

Y2CJ41

Due to budget issues, the Toledo Public Schools has decided to cut wrestling from all their schools.

From

http://toledoblade.com/article/20100706/NEWS04/7060404/0/ART09

The board and new superintendent also will have to strategize on how best to keep students from leaving the district because of the recent budget cuts. Those cuts included eliminating sports with low participation, such as wrestling and cross-country, and eliminating bus service for high schoolers.

I hope this does not happen here in Indiana any time soon.  It is particularly sad, when I have many former teammates from these schools that were absolute studs.

It's very sad indeed. I used to referee the Toledo City League tournament before I moved to Indiana. It was great competition with lots of studs like Y2 mentioned.

This saddens me further when I think from the 60's thru the early 90's Toledo was considered internationally as "the wrestling capital of the USA". This was of course due to Toledo being the host of the 1962 and 1966 World Championships and all but two World Cups from 1973-91.

These events were held in Toledo largely due to the efforts of the late Joe Scalzo, Sr and his family along with Dick Torio and many other support people.

Scalzo was a Vice Preisdent of Fila and attended every Olympic Games from 1952-1984 as a coach, referee or administartor. On my Fila referee jacket I wear a lapel pin that belonged to Joe. His son, Joe Scalzo, Jr, refereed many world championships and was one of my mentors. Dick Torio refereed five Olympic Games and still gives me advise from time-to-time.

Some great wrestlers came from Toledo, 3 time Olympian Dick Wilson, 1980 Olympian and NCAA Champion Greg Wojeichowski, "Wojo" as he was and is known. Mark Kerr NCAA Champion and MMA Fighter just to name a few.

Sad news indeed....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.