The lack of being able to fill our Indiana National Teams??

DemOGuy

The parents that complain about the money to go to Fargo are also the ones spending $600 for a four day Chertow camp and other camps for their kids or other sport camps and such.  I can see it being hard to pony up $400ish for duals at the last second, but for Fargo you have two and a half months for junior to fundraise and maybe even pick up a part time job to pay for the trip.  A kid could make $6.50 and work about 35 hours a week for five weeks and almost pay for the full Fargo trip.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 day camp, transportation, lodging, meals, entry fee, 2 singlets, 2 t-shits, jacket, bag, shorts. Transportation is the most expensive, depending on how far you have to travel. Some states do not include transportation in their cost but require wrestlers to provide their own way to Fargo. While there are some states that pay less than Indiana, there are others that pay more. USA Wrestling did a cost survey a couple of years ago and Indiana's trip cost fell in the mid-range. 

The parents that complain about the money to go to Fargo are also the ones spending $600 for a four day Chertow camp and other camps for their kids or other sport camps and such.  I can see it being hard to pony up $400ish for duals at the last second, but for Fargo you have two and a half months for junior to fundraise and maybe even pick up a part time job to pay for the trip.  A kid could make $6.50 and work about 35 hours a week for five weeks and almost pay for the full Fargo trip.

How many of Indiana coaches go to Fargo with there trip paid for? How ever many there are that money could be going to the kids.

Your so right Y2 Travis has been to camps all week and starts a job Monday to pay for his Fargo trip. The wrestling budget for this summer has been all spent. I dont think anybody really knows how much money these kids go thru until you lay down a certaint amount then you realize its expensive.

I asked a # of coaches, yes I think it should be limited coaches paid for.

Agreed...however, there needs to be enough so that every wrestler has a coach. In those first couple of rounds with 23 mats going it gets kind of crazy.

I have been to the training camp where the coaches decide who is going to coach what wrestler. These guys are working their butts off. I am proud of our coaches and whatever rivalries they have during the year are put aside for the benefit of Team Indiana.

This year will be my 23rd Junior National Championhip. I don't ever recall an over abundance of Team Indiana coaches.

Agreed...however, there needs to be enough so that every wrestler has a coach. In those first couple of rounds with 23 mats going it gets kind of crazy.

I have been to the training camp where the coaches decide who is going to coach what wrestler. These guys are working their butts off. I am proud of our coaches and whatever rivalries they have during the year are put aside for the benefit of Team Indiana.

This year will be my 23rd Junior National Championhip. I don't ever recall an over abundance of Team Indiana coaches.

Theres no doubt they are all good coaches, I am basing this on ways to save the wrestlers so much money.

How much do you propose these volunteers pay to go on this trip?  I guess taking two weeks of their summer off for this trip isn't enough.  Also realize that they need coaches for supervision of the athletes as most parents would sue like crazy if something happened to junior while out there and they didn't have enough supervision.

It is pretty simple to see why we struggle to fill our Indiana National Teams. Just look down the Board at all of the Folkstyle tournaments in the summer. People in Indiana think it is more important to be the best in the country than best in the World.

Bottom line is that times are hard and money is tight for most people, my family included.  I, personally, am very excited that my son has the opportunity to go to Fargo.  Who wouldn't want to be there to see their child compete at this level?  My biggest complaint would have to be the planning and communication.  I think if the trip was properly planned and the information was communicated in a clear and timely manner, the money wouldn't be as big an issue.  My son leaves for camp on July 8th or is it the 9th?  I'm still not sure because the TL e-mailed me one thing and then the papers that were sent to another wrestler says another.  Understand, I'm not bashing the TL's or Coaches here at all.  I appreciate every one of them for giving up their time and energy to help these boys compete on this level.  As a parent, the sooner  I know exact time and dates of camps, exact dates deposits and monies are due, exactly when and where buses are leaving from, approx. arrival and departure times, etc...  the easier this trip would be.  When my son received his packet @ State we knew we were going to Fargo.  My wife started checking hotels immediately, found a great hotel that was inexpensive and close to the dome, but we couldn't book it because our son was only doing one style, we didn't know when he would be leaving for Fargo or where he was leaving from.  Not having that information made it impossible to book our flights and hotel.  We still don't have that information in our hands, as of today because of another miscommunication.  It's also difficult because, the way I understand it as of right now, Greco Wrestlers check in camp and leave camp a day before Freestyle Wrestlers.  We have 3 boys from this area going and 1 of them is a Greco wrestler.  If the papers I have been shown are correct, then we are unable to share the 4 hour drive to camp for our boys, as we had previously planned, which adds more to the cost.  I think everyone's concerns are legit, but maybe we need to work on the issues we can control such as the communication and I believe maybe parents should get together and help eachother think of new ways to help these boys reach this level of competition more and more.  Such as raising some of the funds in advance in the name of the wrestling club to be held at such a time one of that club's wrestlers qualify for these big tourneys, carpooling to these big tourneys.  We've done lots of fundraisers for this trip to Fargo and we've had some great success.  We'd be happy to share these ideas with anyone who wants to know.

Thanks for the info, but I was aware of that info.  I am talking about TEAM INDIANA specific info, such as but not limited to, where, date, & time the boys will be catching the bus to Fargo etc...  I realize the dates for camp were changed due to work conflicts for parents and I appreciate that very much.  My problem is that I was told one thing in an e-mail and the same day I was shown papers another wrestler was sent in the mail and they contradict one another.  As I stated I'm not trying to badmouth anyone or make things more difficult.  I simply think if the information is given as soon as possible so parents can be allowed to plan a little better.  I don't think anyone is trying to be judgemental here.  I think they just want to be there to watch their child compete.  We'll be in Fargo cheering our son on regardless!  GOOD LUCK TEAM INDIANA!!

maybe even pick up a part time job to pay for the trip.  A kid could make $6.50 and work about 35 hours a week for five weeks and almost pay for the full Fargo trip.

I need to move up north because there are no part time jobs here.  Our unemployment rate is high and adults are fighting kids for the $6.50 an hour job here. 

I hate to be the a-hole that brings up the obvious but... I will.  8)

How many of the parents who seem upset about the cost of making National Team trips live without any kind of written budget or money discipline the other 11 months of the year? How many of them smoke $5 worth of cigarettes a day? How many of them make $900 a month in stupid car payments? How many of them deny themselves that Starbucks? The bottom line is that if your mother needed $1000 for an operation in the next 30 days, you'd come up with the money. I agree we should do everything we can as an organization to keep these trips affordable for everyone. But overall we have a prioritization problem. Not a money problem. We have more outgo then we have income. It's simple 3rd grade math. If your kid's a stud wrestler, you need to budget for his summer competition opportunities. If that means you don't ride to Sturgis this year or you drive a cheap car or you get Gas America coffee instead of Starbucks etc, then that's what you have to do.

:D We have three kids.  The ONLY time I get to have Starbucks is on the way to a wrestling tournament, usually one of the big ones, and usually only about twice a year.  The remaining 50 weeks of the year I don't even get it from the gas station.  Why is it no one can make their own at home anymore and throw it in a travel mug?

Our entire household, sad as it may be, is budgeted around our son's wrestling.  Wrestling is expensive - any good wrestling parent knows that.  However, he is not the only child in our house, and I can tell you right now that the other two are not going to just sit around because their sport of choice "didn't fit in the budget."  I will walk the 30 miles to work before one of them goes without when we make sure the other gets all of his opportunities.

I understand the "budget" theory, but in all honesty, sometimes it's just not possible.  (And I don't even have a $900/month car payment.  ;))  We are, income-wise, probably close to the lower end of anyone to ever post here.  But that doesn't mean we don't work it out.  So I do share, understand and respect your frustration about "budgeting."  Especially when it comes to those that DO have the $900/month car payment and try to maintain "the look."  The way I see it...if WE (on our income) can get our three kids where they want to be, to the opportunities they want to have, then most every one else can back up a little in the complaint department. 

(I guess I'm taking a slight offense at the assumption I go buy new shoes every other day.  ;)

Everyone keeps talking about the cost of the trips being the reason it is hard to fill the Nationals teams.  I think there is another big reason that no one has mentioned and that is the 16 teams from Indiana that is going to the Disney Duals at the same time Team Indiana is trying to get a team to go to the Junior Duals.  You take 224 wrestlers, that includes some alternates, out of the available pool and you are going to have a problem getting wrestlers.  When your high school coach asks you to wrestle on his Disney Duals team are you going to tell him "no", I'm going to wrestle for Team Indiana in the Junior Duals?  I don't think so.  So until that problem gets worked out we will continue to have problems with the Junior Duals team.  I want to thank all the volunteer coaches who take the time to go with the wrestlers to the Nationals.  Paying for their trip is the least the ISWA can do.

I hate to be the a-hole that brings up the obvious but... I will.  8)

How many of the parents who seem upset about the cost of making National Team trips live without any kind of written budget or money discipline the other 11 months of the year? How many of them smoke $5 worth of cigarettes a day? How many of them make $900 a month in stupid car payments? How many of them deny themselves that Starbucks? The bottom line is that if your mother needed $1000 for an operation in the next 30 days, you'd come up with the money. I agree we should do everything we can as an organization to keep these trips affordable for everyone. But overall we have a prioritization problem. Not a money problem. We have more outgo then we have income. It's simple 3rd grade math. If your kid's a stud wrestler, you need to budget for his summer competition opportunities. If that means you don't ride to Sturgis this year or you drive a cheap car or you get Gas America coffee instead of Starbucks etc, then that's what you have to do.

You're right. You're an a-hole. That was a very self righteous post and one that should probably be censored from the message board. I'm not one of the parents that's expressing concern about the cost of sendig their kid to Fargo but you have no idea what people are going thru and to accuse parents of finanical mismangement of their funds as the reason some are struggling to make ends meet is extremely arrogant on your part.  BOO.

I need to move up north because there are no part time jobs here.  Our unemployment rate is high and adults are fighting kids for the $6.50 an hour job here. 

Come on up AJ I can fix you right up we have 8000 acres of seed corn that needs detasseled in a couple weeks.

it's the easiest  $6.50 an hour job you can get.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.