Football & wrestling

jchas

I think my son will be okay with the football coach if he misses some summer workouts due to wrestling....he was MVP of his 5A football team last year. LOL  Actually, the football coach seemed excited about his wrestling.  It's nice to know the coach understands how the two sports help one another.

• 2 weeks later...

When i was in highschool we had so much god given wrestling ability just roaming the halls, whom all played football.  But thanks to the ignorance of the football coach we could never fill a wrestling team, he always told them that wrestling would make them weak and that youll lose to much weight, and the previously mentioned infamous black list for not attending off season workouts.  Whats funny is he was just inducted into the conference hall of fame with a barely .500 overall career win record.  Oh and the kids that came from football into wrestling were always fat, lazy, and out of shape.  Thats just my take on this subject.

When i was in highschool we had so much god given wrestling ability just roaming the halls, whom all played football.  But thanks to the ignorance of the football coach we could never fill a wrestling team, he always told them that wrestling would make them weak and that youll lose to much weight, and the previously mentioned infamous black list for not attending off season workouts.  Whats funny is he was just inducted into the conference hall of fame with a barely .500 overall career win record.  Oh and the kids that came from football into wrestling were always fat, lazy, and out of shape.  Thats just my take on this subject.

I believe this sums up what goes on today.  All the previous posts that are pointing out the superior guys who are playing both sports, they are the exception rather than the rule.  Of course if your kid is the mvp of his football team AND he wrestles, he's going to be given wide latitude to do whatever he wants between those sports.  I never said football coaches were stupid.  It's the average football player, which is what makes up the majority of players on a football team, that are buffaloed into only playing and concentrating on football.

Weren't you one bragging on cutting weight and how you feel that EVERYONE needs to cut weight?

Blake Maurer 4x state champ - football player

Matt Coughlin- 2x state champ 2x state runner up - football player

Nick Mayor state champ - football player

Allen Weinzapfel state champ - football player

Sam Wildamen state champ - football player

Nick Dewig state runner up- football player

Alex Weinzapfel state runner up at 119 football player ( all confrence football I think)

These are all MD wrestlers, there could be and probably is more but not sure

Blake Maurer 4x state champ - football player

Matt Coughlin- 2x state champ 2x state runner up - football player

Nick Mayor state champ - football player

Allen Weinzapfel state champ - football player

Sam Wildamen state champ - football player

Nick Dewig state runner up- football player

Alex Weinzapfel state runner up at 119 football player ( all confrence football I think)

These are all MD wrestlers, there could be and probably is more but not sure

Mater Dei has a big advantage when their former coach Goebel is also the head football coach.  It is always very advantageous to have a football coach on the wrestling staff.

Y2- i dont think i really ever bragged about cutting weight, but cutting is an option so for the football coach to try and tell the football guys not to wrestle because of weight cutting is madness...i dont think there has ever been a coach that makes a kid cut...

Mater Dei has a big advantage when their former coach Goebel is also the head football coach.  It is always very advantageous to have a football coach on the wrestling staff.

No argument there, I'm just pointing out that yes, you can play football and win a state championship.

My son is in a 2A school and I have to say that the football coach completely supports the wrestlers who are putting the time in to take it to the next level.  Never has my son been given any crap about wrestling during off-season during the pre-season football work-outs.  My son is not alone as there are a hand-ful of wrestlers doing the same thing.  I will also say that our football coach also has the advanced PE class at school which is pretty much reserved for the high school athletes and he supports all sports, not just football, not just wrestling.

I am also confident that the football coach knows that their time in the wrestling room only makes his football team stronger.  (Football coach's son just started youth wrestling so  I think he gets it.)  I think we are pretty lucky as I do believe some coaches are concerned for their program instead of the progress and flexibility of the kid as a multi-sport athlete both physically and mentally. 

Let me just say, it's a lot easier sitting on the bleachers at a football game watching my son (who is ~ 160 lbs) run the ball and his teammate who is blocking for him is a three-time wrestling state "placer" and national runner-up!  He still got waxed occasionally, but when that happend his opponents usually didn't come back for seconds!

I will also say that on our football team, one can sit on the sidelines and pick out the best conditioned kids on the team and they are wrestlers.  Attentive coaches know that and respect and appreciate it.

I actually thought only basketball coaches ran the schools...maybe that is just the case in my area.  It is typical to see the varsity bench in this area 12 deep and most of them don't see any playtime...but the coach rules the roost so kids spend their high school careers riding the pine instead of trying something new, like a new sport.  What a waste.

My son is in a 2A school and I have to say that the football coach completely supports the wrestlers who are putting the time in to take it to the next level.  Never has my son been given any crap about wrestling during off-season during the pre-season football work-outs.  My son is not alone as there are a hand-ful of wrestlers doing the same thing.  I will also say that our football coach also has the advanced PE class at school which is pretty much reserved for the high school athletes and he supports all sports, not just football, not just wrestling.

I am also confident that the football coach knows that their time in the wrestling room only makes his football team stronger.  (Football coach's son just started youth wrestling so  I think he gets it.)  I think we are pretty lucky as I do believe some coaches are concerned for their program instead of the progress and flexibility of the kid as a multi-sport athlete both physically and mentally. 

Let me just say, it's a lot easier sitting on the bleachers at a football game watching my son (who is ~ 160 lbs) run the ball and his teammate who is blocking for him is a three-time wrestling state "placer" and national runner-up!  He still got waxed occasionally, but when that happend his opponents usually didn't come back for seconds!

I will also say that on our football team, one can sit on the sidelines and pick out the best conditioned kids on the team and they are wrestlers.  Attentive coaches know that and respect and appreciate it.

I actually thought only basketball coaches ran the schools...maybe that is just the case in my area.  It is typical to see the varsity bench in this area 12 deep and most of them don't see any playtime...but the coach rules the roost so kids spend their high school careers riding the pine instead of trying something new, like a new sport.  What a waste.

Great post.  It's really nice to hear some coaches get it.  I think my previous posts made it sound like every football coach only cares about football.  I'm usually guilty of making sweeping generalizations (just ask my wife) and this is no exception. I guess I let my frustrations with my sons h.s. get the best of me.  WingMan, you made an interesting observation, that basketball rules the roost at your sons school. I've only been in IN for 8 years and I really expected the h.s.'s to be nuts for b-ball when we moved here but it seems like foootball, at least in our area, is bigger than b-ball.

• 4 weeks later...

Most important part I left out in my post.  My son has parents...we don't need the school or football coach dictating what he can or cannot do since that is our job (as parents) to make those decisions.  If rules/policy that I am reading in this thread were hammered upon my son, I would have a toe-to-toe with said coach with the AD and principal in the room, as "that dog would not hunt" without a policy in front of me from the school and the IHSAA stating that wrestlers cannot be football players. 

Everyone should remember that coaches are not politicians, they are not elected, they are hired.  If their coaching responsibility is in their teaching contract, then ask to see the contract and look for the verbiage where they get to dictate on what their athlete can or cannot participate in (public schools, this should be public knowledge).  If it's not in their contract and you are in a public school then call their bluff.  Being a coach at the (public) high-school level is a privilege, not a right...I know that their programs are scrutinized but they are not the letter of the law when it comes to participation. 

I have confronted a  few coaches in my time (and used to be one) and it appears to me that if they are setting rules not supported by the administration/school board that they will back track and start throwing those administrators under the bus. 

If a coach is being a bully then, as parents of kids in the public school system, it is our right to point it out and document it so when the "fat lady sings" you have documentation.

Any football, basketball or baseball coach not allowing wrestler's to participate in their program is cutting their own throat.  When you have more athleticism sitting in the bleachers of the home team instead of being in the game people talk.

Most important part I left out in my post.  My son has parents...we don't need the school or football coach dictating what he can or cannot do since that is our job (as parents) to make those decisions.  If rules/policy that I am reading in this thread were hammered upon my son, I would have a toe-to-toe with said coach with the AD and principal in the room, as "that dog would not hunt" without a policy in front of me from the school and the IHSAA stating that wrestlers cannot be football players. 

Everyone should remember that coaches are not politicians, they are not elected, they are hired.  If their coaching responsibility is in their teaching contract, then ask to see the contract and look for the verbiage where they get to dictate on what their athlete can or cannot participate in (public schools, this should be public knowledge).   If it's not in their contract and you are in a public school then call their bluff.  Being a coach at the (public) high-school level is a privilege, not a right...I know that their programs are scrutinized but they are not the letter of the law when it comes to participation. 

I have confronted a  few coaches in my time (and used to be one) and it appears to me that if they are setting rules not supported by the administration/school board that they will back track and start throwing those administrators under the bus. 

If a coach is being a bully then, as parents of kids in the public school system, it is our right to point it out and document it so when the "fat lady sings" you have documentation.

Any football, basketball or baseball coach not allowing wrestler's to participate in their program is cutting their own throat.  When you have more athleticism sitting in the bleachers of the home team instead of being in the game people talk.

Wingman - the issue about guys playing other sports isn't as black and white as your post appears to infer.  The football coaches aren't stupid enough to come out and say "you can't play football and wrestle."  It's more subtle.  "Better not miss any of our off-season workouts if you're committed to this program" which is code for "you miss too many off season workouts you'll find it very difficult  to crack my starting lineup."  Kids are pretty perecptive.  A good friend of mine has a son that went thru middle school and graduated from h.s. with my son.  Won a middle school conference championship as an 8th grader and wrestled 215 as a freshman.  The sport he loved was football and he ended up having a better than average h.s. career (all conf, etc).  He never wrestled after his freshman year which was a real shame and I think it was for the reasons I've been stating and that was confirmed to me when his father told me after the boys graduated that the football coach came up to his son after his senior football season had ended and he told the kid that he wouldn't have been as successful in football if he would have wrestled.  What kind of a b.s. statement is that?

What?  That was a lot of text without any  facts.  In Oklahoma from 2001-2008 74% of high school wrestling state placers played football(See Troy Aikman). Appreciate  any facts from indiana.

Your from OK?  Is everyone there as big a jag as you? 

Every coach, kid and school has some similarities and differences, but it really should be the parents giving the advice and the kids making the decisions.  We heard for years about "If your son really dedicated himself to _____ he could be ____."  In every case, the second blank was never "happy" or "a great person" or even "content".  We heard it even more when we moved to CA.  The most honest advice I could give was this, "People will encourage  you to "dedicate" yourself to something under the pretense that it will result in something you want.  Reality is that if YOU don't want it, it isn't worth it.  Every coach has a job to put the absolute best product possible out there.  You are only a HS kid once.  Once you graduate chances to wrestle, play football, basketball, baseball, run track, act in a play, go to a formal dance, teepee a friend's house or drink chocolate milk at lunch are few and far between.  Take advantage of every opportunity you have to live in the moment and do what YOU want to do, because you will never get a chance to change regret."

He chose to drop basketball and focus on just wrestling in the winter!!  ;D  (He didn't letter in football and baseball until his sophomore year)

Every coach, kid and school has some similarities and differences, but it really should be the parents giving the advice and the kids making the decisions.  We heard for years about "If your son really dedicated himself to _____ he could be ____."  In every case, the second blank was never "happy" or "a great person" or even "content".  We heard it even more when we moved to CA.  The most honest advice I could give was this, "People will encourage  you to "dedicate" yourself to something under the pretense that it will result in something you want.  Reality is that if YOU don't want it, it isn't worth it.  Every coach has a job to put the absolute best product possible out there.  You are only a HS kid once.  Once you graduate chances to wrestle, play football, basketball, baseball, run track, act in a play, go to a formal dance, teepee a friend's house or drink chocolate milk at lunch are few and far between.  Take advantage of every opportunity you have to live in the moment and do what YOU want to do, because you will never get a chance to change regret."

He chose to drop basketball and focus on just wrestling in the winter!!   ;D  (He didn't letter in football and baseball until his sophomore year)

Excellent post

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.