The Best Wrestler in the History of YOUR school

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile, and I thought that it would be interesting to compile a list of the best wrestler to ever wrestle at specific schools.  I would like the results to be based on State Finals results.   Then if you have more than one wrestler who has achieved the best place at your school, then use your own discretion to pick the best.  

Here is what I have so far:

Adams Central: Troy Roe

Anderson: Mickey Janes

Anderson Highland: Camden Eppert

Avon: Kevin Huddleston

Batesville: Mike Dailey

Beech Grove: Steven Bradley

Bellmont: Tim Myers

Benton Central: Bart Coors

Bishop Dwenger: Anton Talamantes

Bishop Luers: Pat Ayelle

Blackford: Dave Abbott

Bluffton: Ben Sprunger

Bremen: Ron Coffel

Calumet: Berry Handley

Center Grove: Ron Gaskins

Chesterton: Keith Davison

Clinton Prairie: Ty Baker

Churubusco: Pat McClain

Crawford County: Andrew Douglas

Delphi: Braden Atwood

Delta: David Palmer

East Noble: Taylor March

Eastside: Derrick Miller

Elkhart Memorial: Chris Miller

Elmhurst: Oliver Richmond

Evansville Central: James Brimm

Evansville Mater Dei: Blake Mauer

Fairfield: Rhys Canaday

Fishers: Mitch Sliga

Floyd Central:Cooper Samuels

Fort Wayne Carroll: Brock Norton

Fort Wayne Concordia: Eric Leabeau

Fort Wayne Harding: Troy Bahler

Fort Wayne North: Gralan Early

Fort Wayne Snider: Greg Wagner

Fort Wayne Wayne: Brian Tun

Frankfort: Josh Birge

Franklin Central: Jake O'Brien

Franklin Community: Bryce Hasseman

Franklin County: Todd Sacksteder

Frankton: Courtney Duncan

Garrett: Zac McCray

Gibson Southern: D.J. Radnovich

Goshen: David Edlund

Griffith: Alex Tsirtsis

Homestead: Mark Bruner

Hammond Gavit: Ken Taroli

Hammond Noll: Rene Hernandez

Hanover Central:Andrew Howe

Hobart:Frankie Porras

Indianapolis Arsenal Tech: Greg Levell

Indianapolis Ben Davis: Cameron Smith

Indianapolis Cathedral: Lance Ellis

Indianapolis Northwest: Ben Reichel

Indianapolis Pike: Chris Davis

Indian Creek: Ethan Raley

Jimtown: John Cambell

Lake Central: Michael Escebedo

Lawrence North: Reece Humphrey

Leo: Justin Woods

Lowell: Marcus Schontube

Martinsville: Briar Runyon

Michigan City: Brent Surface

Mishawaka: Josh Harper

Monrovia: David McCubbings

Muncie South: Tony Abbott

Munster: Eric McGill

Mt. Vernon: Andy Schneider

New Castle: Bubba Dickerson

New Palestine: Kyle Ulrey

Noblesville: Jon Smith

Northeastern: Mike Mull

Northridge: Drew Graber

Northwood: Nate Andrews

Norwell: Blake Harner

Pendleton Heights: Donny Sands

Perry Meridian:Chico Adams

Peru: Nic May

Plymouth: Josh Hutchins

Portage: Sean McMurray

Princeton: Josh Greer

Richmond: Ben Wissel

Rochester: Damon Hummel

Shenandoah: Scott Gross

South Adams: Josh Mann

South Bend Clay: Adam O'Neill

South Bend Riley: Jon Galloway

Southern Wells: Vince Fiechter

Turkey Run: Ryan Pribble

Wabash: George Ross

Warren Central: Danny Williams

Wes-Del:Bobby Johnson

Western Boone: Jon McClain

Whitko: Matt Koontz

Whiteland: Matt Fields

Yorktown: Dennis Lewis

The top four wrestlers at our school, Bishop Luers would be pretty easy.

#1 Tony Lovejoy ? Tony has a four year varsity record of 151 wins, 97 by fall (both school records.)  He also holds the school record with 30 varsity wins as a freshman.  Three losses his junior and senior seasons.  He is the only Luers wrestler to place at State three times finishing 7th, 5th, and 3rd.

#2t Joel Peters ? Joel had a four year varsity record of 124 wins, 77 by fall.  Joel was a State Qualifier his senior year.

#2t Joshua Lovejoy ? Josh had a four year varsity record of 125 wins, 74 by fall.  Josh is number two in school history with 28 varsity wins as a freshman.

#2t Jim Hanlon ? Jim had a four year varsity record of 129 wins, 88 by fall.

Jonathon Sandberg (HWT)

North White HS

2x State Placer, 4th in 02', 4th in 03'

Senior yr he won the Merriville SS, pinning  Bret Surface from Mich. City in the finals, He then was upset in the semi-finals at conseco. Surface went on to win state that yr with his only loss coming at the hands of Sandberg.

Not only the best wrestler but the best football player in our school history. 2 time all-state and went on to start 3 yrs for IU on the offensive line.  Including his senior yr, the year IU went to a bowl game after having a long drought. 08' I believe (red-shirt as a freshamn)

John was a great guy, he was the reason i started wrestling in the 1st place. I was a 6th grader when he was in HS, he seem me in the hall way and asked if i was on the wrestling team i said no and he said well u should try it out, so the next day i went to my 1st practice, it was an eye opener i thought it was WWF style so i was trying to leg drop people and do the tombstone.. haha my coaches got a kick out of it and then sat me down and explained the rules and told me this was not WWF style wrestling. I liked it though so i stuck around and was the only 6th grader on the team. If John had not stopped me and asked me to wrestle i dont think i ever would have stepped on a mat. Im so glad he did because I love this sport and cant wait to get back into it and to coach somewhere someday.

I would put Thomas Hammock on the list for Luers I think he finished third in the state.

For my alma mater Norwell I would have to go with Blake Harner state runner-up.

For Churubusco I would go with either Pat McClain 2x state qualifier, finished eigth,  or Jordan Hamilton 2x state qualifier, but never placed.

I would put Thomas Hammock on the list for Luers I think he finished third in the state.

Thomas was indeed a very solid wrestler as were a couple of others like Pat Ayelle (best finish in school history at #2,) Josh Booker, and Grahm Hayden.  But they each only had one or two good seasons for Luers.  The four I mentioned above had incredible four year varsity runs.

To me longevity was more important than a single season of glory or even two.

Thomas was indeed a very solid wrestler as were a couple of others like Pat Ayelle (best finish in school history at #2,) Josh Booker, and Grahm Hayden.  But they each only had one or two good seasons for Luers.  The four I mentioned above had incredible four year varsity runs.

To me longevity was more important than a single season of glory or even two.

I have to put Thomas Hammock 2nd on the list.  He took 3rd at 171 as a Junior, and 3rd at 189 as a Senior.  He lost in the ticket round to a placer as a Soph. at 171.  He won The Al Smith as a Senior with 5 first period pins and one decision!  The only real blemish on his career is a Freshman record with more losses than wins.   

It would have to be Mauer because he's their only 4 timer

high school accomplishments yes, but collegiate theres other more accomplished. But this is talking about in the history of the high schools so yes it would most likely have to be Maurer

Bash, based on the information there I would say that it's either Porras or Galka.......in my opinion. It's a tough choice because you have Cosgrove there with 4 placements, but I say the titles outweigh the other factors.  Just my opinion though.

With traffic being kind of low this time of year ill try to add some that I am pretty confident about but others may disagree let me know if you do.

Bluffton- Randy Pursley, Ben Sprunger close second.

Bellmont- I would say Tim Myers

Whitko- Matt Koontz (only champ I think)

Snider- Greg Wagner

Carroll- Brock Norton or coach Voit (sp)

Fort Wayne Dwenger- Antone Talamentes

Fort Wayne North- Graylan Early

Fort Wayne Concordia- Eric Lebuea (sp)

Those were kinda off the top of my head,  some of them may be off if you look at how they placed out.  I think Sprunger went 2nd-1st in his junior- senior year,i'm pretty sure Pursly went 3rd- 1st so its a real close won.  The Bellmont guys you could argue all day.

Union County's top 4 have to be the following:

Kenneth "Casey" Caldwell (2nd in '05, National Qualifier for Navy)

Chris Barnhizer (6th in '05 and 3rd in '06...Also the all-time wins leader)

Michael Duckworth (2nd in '08, 1st in '09, 2nd in '10...will wrestle for Ohio University)

Cody Phillips (1st in '09, 1st in '10...still has 2 more years of high school and is probably the odds on favorite for best in the history of the school if things continue)

Corydon doesnt have the level of success as others but you asked and Ill answer.   

It has to be between these three guys: Jason Ward currently 3rd in wins, Bryan Eads tied for 1rst, Derrick Beamer tied for first.  Ill get my stats about how far they went and often at open mat tonight.

Jay County would be between these guys.

Glenn Glogas

Geoff Glogas

David Ferguson

Casey Kenney

I could make a case for at least one guy that didn't place at state being better than one of those guys on the list. Eric LeMaster would be one of those. He got a concussion his senior year on Friday night at State and ended up getting beat but was picked to win it that year and was ranked 1st or 2nd most of the year as well.

Mauer was side lined by an injury after fargo senior year that required surgery to repair, so that is a bit unfair to say he was not the best because we dont know what he couldve done in college due to that injury.

Mauer was side lined by an injury after fargo senior year that required surgery to repair, so that is a bit unfair to say he was not the best because we dont know what he couldve done in college due to that injury.

I agree!  Mauer was the best wrestler from EMD.  He only lost 2 matches in HS, and was had it not been for the injury, I have no doubt that he would have been a successful college wrestler.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.