Who is the Greatest Hoosier Wrestler to Never Win a State Title?

Drooke

I thefted another idea from the Illinois board and created this thread.  So, who is the greatest Hoosier wrestler to never win a state title in your opinion?  Names are sufficient...but names with reasons behind them are Gold...and appreciated.

A few candidates that came to mind:

Darrell Carr, Warsaw/Wawasee: 3-time state finals (missed weight at sectional or regional once), state runner-up to Bill Maldonado his senior year, multiple time high placer at D3 Nationals.

Randy Baker, Bellmont: 4-time state finals, heavily favored to win twice but was upset by future D1 wrestlers along the way

Mac Taylor, New Castle: 4-time state finals, nearly 60 wins each year with only a handful of career losses but somehow didn't make it under the lights

Mike Jackson, SQ as a senior, 3rd-2nd-2nd college UIndy

Shane Perkey, 3rd as a senior, 4th-4th-4th-2nd college UIndy

Charlie Pingleton, 2X runner up, 2X AA 7th-4th college UIndy

Three pretty good ones right there.

My goodness, this topic has been posted to death over the last 15 years on this and previous boards!!!

I will simply say that despite a variety of submissions on this topic, the general consensus over the years has been that Damon Hummel of Rochester is the most common answer posted. 

Y2, we all know I'm a big fan of Andy, great kid!  He and Perkey had some of the best match I've ever had the chance to watch!  I'm still trying to find a way to get you out of that ugly orange!!

Derek Bevans

SQ (lost to Harper first round in a class with Harper, Stahl, Brooks, McMurray, Quiroga, Schoettle, Herron, and Rackly)

5th (in a class with Johns, Wright, Eppert, Raley, Brooks, Kieffer, Kenny, Bradley)

6th (in a class with Johns, Wright, Eppert, Brooks, Kieffer, Petrov, Bradley)

3rd (6-4 loss to Wright in a class with Napules, Kieffer, Wright, Raley, and Petrov)

I'd say Mitchell Richey of Brown County is one of the newest edition to the list.

160-8 career record

08-09  2nd  43-1 lost to March

07-08  SQ    36-2 lost to Eppart

06-07  5th    46-1 lost to Brooks

05-06    SQ    35-4 lost to Salines

There was just a group of very solid wrestlers all together down low, a lot of good guys didn't place as high of as they could have at other times. Great to see that kind of skill though.

I agree with Walt Harris.  If there had been a 215 lb class duting his school years, Damon Hummel from Rochester probably would have won at least 3 titles.  He was the most exciting wrestler I have seen in Indiana wrestling.  However, Eric Roach from Crown Point is very exciting to watch.  He just keeps coming at you, and if he hadn't had strept throat during the state finals his sophomore year he probably would have had 2 state championships now instead of 1 and his only losses his freshman year were to the state champ and each time by oknly 1 point.

I'll post this name again for those who missed it on page 1:

Alan Grammer, Evansville Reitz.  2x Runnerup.  2nd @ 105 (1978), 2nd @ 119 (1979).  3 losses in high school.  JV as sophomore behind Bobby Stone (3rd at 105 in 1977).   Grammer was Div. II National Champ for SIU Edwardsville.  2x All-American Div. I NCAA - 3rd @ 134 (1985), 5th @ 126 (1986).  Lost to John Smith at 1984 Olympic Trials.  Smith had 5 losses in college - 2 to Grammer.

Is anyone on the board old enough to remember Grammer?  He was a stout hardnosed redheaded kid who'd run over you like a freight train.  He was even better at freestyle and greco, big thrower.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.