Jake Shields Post Fight Interview

Grenadier2012

I think it is a big deal b/c MMA still isn't accepted as Mainstream. I'm sure that there are many CBS Execs today shaking their heads and saying "I always knew that they were thugs." I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of response from CBS.

Though I doubt it happens, I wouldn't even be surprised to see CBS pull the plug.

I saw it. 

Why would it be deleted?

You never know what the powers that be will or will not allow.  I assumed because of excess violence, I've seen topics deleted that were more harmless than this.

What was the word on Hendo's back injury anyway? Not trying to take away from Shields but he clearly didn't look like himself.

You never know what the powers that be will or will not allow.  I assumed because of excess violence, I've seen topics deleted that were more harmless than this.

What was the word on Hendo's back injury anyway? Not trying to take away from Shields but he clearly didn't look like himself.

I have to believe that it did play a part, and I don't expect him to be getting much better either.  He's 39 going on 40 and his body has been through the meat grinder.  He didn't even try to get his hips back when Shields would shoot in, rather locking up and then trying to fight out.  This worked once that I recall but then it was Shields all the way.  Dan only seemed to have one objective and that was land the big right hand.  He did it once and nearly put Shields out with it.  Unfortunately Dan has been reduced to a puncher's chance type of fighter and that I don't like.  Dan is an all time great but I think he is now in his decline.  Age is the main factor IMO. 

As for the brawl after the fight, it really could be something that CBS decides that they do not want.  I used ot like Jason Miller and he's clearly very talented, but his schtick can't possibly appeal to anyone over 17.  No more Jason miller for me please.  And lets get Shields in the UFC against GSP. 

I used ot like Jason Miller and he's clearly very talented, but his schtick can't possibly appeal to anyone over 17.  No more Jason miller for me please. 

Maybe MTV will take on Strikeforce and play it after Bully Beatdown.  If Mayhems performance is Strikeforces idea of trying to gain an audience or gain credibility then they are a joke. Dana would have shut his playground antics down right off the bat.  I don't really know why he thinks he can beat Shields, Jake smothered him the last time they fought and his so called ground game was non existant.  I guess he will just have to wait for Dana to call Shields up so him and Henderson can fight for the belt.

How often have you seen this happen in MMA?

Never, but it's not really different than the bench-clearing brawls I see in baseball once a month.  Why is this more egregious?

Strikeforce officials are the one to blame.  Stop letting everyone in the cage right after a match.  No one should be in there except the fighters, Gus Johnson, the doctors, the referee, and cornermen for each fighter.  Stop letting teammates and buddies and everyone else who didn't have anything to do with the fight in the cage.  The Diaz brothers, Miller, Melendez, etc. all had no business in the cage. 

You answered your own question, because it never happens.  That is why it is worth noting. 

I guess what I was saying is that I understand why it's reported, but it shouldn't be a huge deal that people blow way out of proportion. 

Why would Shields get GSP off the bat? 

I'd like to see Shields against Koscheck or Fitch first.  I doubt he would beat either of those fellas.

Because that would be a money fight.  People want to see what Strike Force's best can do against the UFCs best.  No one has mentioned anywhere that I am aware of that they want to see Kos or Fitch take on Shields.  This is the first time I've heard anyone, (in the last couple of years) mention Shileds vs someone other than GSP in the UFC. 

Because that would be a money fight.  People want to see what Strike Force's best can do against the UFCs best.  No one has mentioned anywhere that I am aware of that they want to see Kos or Fitch take on Shields.  This is the first time I've heard anyone, (in the last couple of years) mention Shileds vs someone other than GSP in the UFC. 

Agreed.  Shields would get GSP in his first fight in the UFC especially after what GSP's done in the division already.  There is no one left.