2010 Coaching Changes

Y2CJ41

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what happened to Carlson at Bishop Luers.  I know that they have struggled, but seemed to have numbers growing, and they had some individual success with Lovejoy.  Did he step down?  Is he still teaching?

My wife's career brought me to the Fort Wayne 3 years ago; she was offered a job in Grand Island Nebraska.  So that?s where I am headed.  I did not want to leave but I wasn?t going to win that battle. Bishop Luers is a great place to be a teacher and a coach.  I will miss Luers and also the camaraderie I had with the area coaches especially in the SAC conference. 

Dan Carlson

dcarlson@bishopluers.org

Hey add me (Tyson Skinner-Scottsburg) to list.  Apparently I got RIF'ed last night at a school board meeting.  No final word but doesn't sound good.  14 years at Scottsburg.

Sorry to hear that.....  We here in Muncie are still awaiting our RIF notices, and I am somewhat worried as well.

It is a bad time in education right now.  How in the world did you have 14 years and got a RIF notice??  That is just plain bad.  It would be nice if our governer and secretary of education (I know that I did not capatilize them, they are not worth it) would understand what they are doing to education in the state of Indiana and the opportunities that they are going to take away from students.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of coaches losing jobs. Wonder how many basketball and football coaches will be RIFed, I'll wager fewer than the "smaller" sports.

I don't think even the basketball and football coaches are safe right now thanks to Mitch.  Actually, people aren't getting RIF'ed from their coaching jobs, but rather their teaching positions. Some of the contracts may state that they won't get RIF'ed if they are coaching a particular sport, but I haven't heard of too many. It comes down to seniority in the classroom and licensing.

I don't think even the basketball and football coaches are safe right now thanks to Mitch.  Actually, people aren't getting RIF'ed from their coaching jobs, but rather their teaching positions. Some of the contracts may state that they won't get RIF'ed if they are coaching a particular sport, but I haven't heard of too many. It comes down to seniority in the classroom and licensing.

I understand that, what I was saying is that there are ways around seniority based on what subject they teach, not that they are RIFed from their coaching, which isn't possible. Nobody is safe anywhere and if they continue with the plan to do away with contracts and pay scales nobody will be safe with any amount of experience.

I understand that, what I was saying is that there are ways around seniority based on what subject they teach, not that they are RIFed from their coaching, which isn't possible. Nobody is safe anywhere and if they continue with the plan to do away with contracts and pay scales nobody will be safe with any amount of experience.

I gotcha now. A lot of people don't realize how complicated a process RIF'ing can be.  One position can affect staffing at multiple schools within the corporation.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  Pay attention to what almost happened in Florida as far right neo cons (please note I didn't say Republicans or conservatives) begin the process of taking apart public education in favor of privatization (see charter schools) and profitable standardized testing (masked as accountability). 

I gotcha now. A lot of people don't realize how complicated a process RIF'ing can be.  One position can affect staffing at multiple schools within the corporation.

I understand it too well. I'm a teacher and my dad has been a teacher and been influential in his teacher's union for decades, I know the RIF process well. It makes sense when used correctly, but is being abused across the state now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this has already been posted but...Tony McWilliams will be taking over for Murray Miller at SB Washington.  Sorry if this is old news at Indianamat.com already.

Is that the bluetooth guy???

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.