The Top 20 Most Influential People in Indiana Wrestling Today

Drooke

Sean Bormet: runs Overtime School of Wrestling- directly responsible for a lot of the success of Howe, Escobedo, A. Tsirtsis, McGill, Galka, Cosgrove, Petrov, Ayersman

Chuck Barnett: leader of the CAOA, delegates assignment of Region wrestling officials to the various tournaments..

Darrick Snyder: runs one of the best open rooms in the state, Defending team state championship coach

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boo me if you want, but I think Andy Hobbs and Derrick Snyder should not be one the list.

Snyder is good for his team, but he does little overall to advance Indiana as a wrestling state.  I've been to his open room.  Coach Snyder doesn't teach at that.  So what's so special?  I've been to open rooms in da region with much better competition.

Hobbs influence is not all positive.  His promotion of folkstyle hurts Indiana rep nationally.  Great wrestling states produce plenty of free and greco champs and we just do it rarely.  The promotion of folk also allows the ignorant to think that wrestling only folk is the best path to success, when history clearly shows the opposite.  I will say this for Hobbs.  At least the dude forced the iswa to straighten up and start running tournaments with better organization.  ;D

No conversation about Indiana Wrestling, past or present, can begin without mentioning the guy who has had an indirect influence on nearly every high school and college program in the state...Billy Thom. I'll elaborate for you later.

Billy Thom

Wrestling coach 1927-45...led Indiana University to eight Big Ten championships and 1932 NCAA title...Olympic coach in 1936...coached seven NCAA champions ...member Wrestling Hall of Fame.

some that I dont think have been mentioned yet:

TAE - his historical contributions are second to none

Y2- his computer know how and other indianamat duties really make our sport look good to "outsiders"

Chris Lynch - his presence at a tournament sends the wrestlers in a frenzy.  he has supported wrestling like few others

Aww  dangit you beat me to it.

I will be updating the  list of  individuals mentioned.....the list is simply in the order they have been posted.

1. Tom Clark

2. Ed Pendoski

3. Bill Hawkins

4. Leroy Vega

5. Alex Tsirtsis

6. Rex Peckinpaugh

7. James Tanniehill

8. Jim Humphrey

9. Bob Kopnisky

10. Mike and Sharon Dowden

11. Jan and Sue Hesser

12. Dave and Jenny Errett

13. Phil Strader

14. John Smith

15. Trent McCormick

16. Jordin Humphrey

17. Royce Deckard

18. Scott Hinkel

19. J.D. Minch

20. Chauncey McDaniel

21. Coach Myers

22. John Hurrle

23. Larry Bergstrom

24. Tom Cameron

25. Dick Neal

26. Karl Deak

27. Rollie Hoover

28. Al Smith

29. Henry Wilk

30. Joe Caprino

31. Chris Lynch

32. Barry Humble

33. Tom Dolly

34. Andy Hobbs

35. Sean Bormet

36. Chuck Barnett

37. Darrick Snyder

38. Billy Thom

39. Mike Dowden

40. Louis Rosbottom

41. Jim Tonte

42. Jim Humphrey

43. Jim Wadkins

Possibly once we have recorded all of the nominations we may hold a vote to narrow down the field ...... or not.  We shall see...... I like how this is going however, I'm learning alot about the individuals that contribute to the success of the sport that we love.  Keep em' coming folks.

After Jim Wadkins mentioned Billy Thom I did a bit of research and also found that he was one of the founding members of the IHSWCA...

AJ and Twin..... TAE was already nominated by his given name...

Also, if you do nominate/mention someone please give a brief explanation why  (if for no other reason then for my benefit...as I'm unfamiliar with some of the names).... Thanks!

T. Howard Jones has been doing it the right way for 30 years, Hall of Fame Coach, was very influential in freestyle for many years.  He has been team leader of multiple cultural exchange trips, officiated, and still invites teams from other countries to stay with families and be involved with indiana wrestling.  Not even a question...if you dont know him ask around he was paving ground before most of us knew what wrestling was.

I will be updating the  list of  individuals mentioned.....the list is simply in the order they have been posted.

1. Tom Clark

2. Ed Pendoski

3. Bill Hawkins

4. Leroy Vega

5. Alex Tsirtsis

6. Rex Peckinpaugh

7. James Tanniehill

8. Jim Humphrey

9. Bob Kopnisky

11. Jan and Sue Hesser

13. Phil Strader

14. John Smith

15. Trent McCormick

16. Jordin Humphrey

17. Royce Deckard

18. Scott Hinkel

19. J.D. Minch

20. Chauncey McDaniel

21. Coach Myers

22. John Hurrle

23. Larry Bergstrom

24. Tom Cameron

25. Dick Neal

26. Karl Deak

27. Rollie Hoover

28. Al Smith

29. Henry Wilk

30. Joe Caprino

31. Chris Lynch

32. Barry Humble

33. Tom Dolly

34. Andy Hobbs

35. Sean Bormet

36. Chuck Barnett

37. Darrick Snyder

38. Billy Thom

39. Mike Dowden

40. Louis Rosbottom

41. Jim Tonte

42. Jim Humphrey

43. Jim Wadkins

Possibly once we have recorded all of the nominations we may hold a vote to narrow down the field ...... or not.  We shall see...... I like how this is going however, I'm learning alot about the individuals that contribute to the success of the sport that we love.  Keep em' coming folks.

After Jim Wadkins mentioned Billy Thom I did a bit of research and also found that he was one of the founding members of the IHSWCA...

AJ and Twin..... TAE was already nominated by his given name...

Also, if you do nominate/mention someone please give a brief explanation why  (if for no other reason then for my benefit...as I'm unfamiliar with some of the names).... Thanks!

Sorry Drooke I meant AJ beat me to Chris Lynch.

Jim Wadkins - explained

Head Coach at Calumet High school also wrestled at Calumet and Walbash. Everyone in the Region knows Jim Wadkins he puts on one of if not the toughest dual Tournament in the State. He was a huge force in getting the Lake County Tournament put together. Helped get Wrestle backs at the sectional level. Has had a very good coaching career so far and isn't finished. Alex Tsirtsis's first Wrestling club was the Calumet Wrestling Club. On top a long list of other thing I could go on all night. He also introduced me to the Sport of wrestling and that will always make him #1 to me   

I shy away from posting here because so many greats were left off of this list!

I will only add ...

-How about those that founded the ISWA

AND

-Those that formed the Indiana Coaches Association

Also this may be of use: http://www.ihswca.com/clicktoseemembers.html

*Also of note: There are 10 'Beech Grover's' on the Hall of Fame List, counting all categories.  

1. Tom Clark

2. Ed Pendoski

3. Bill Hawkins

4. Leroy Vega

5. Alex Tsirtsis

6. Rex Peckinpaugh

7. James Tanniehill

8. Jim Humphrey

9. Bob Kopnisky

11. Jan and Sue Hesser

13. Phil Strader

14. John Smith

15. Trent McCormick

16. Jordin Humphrey

17. Royce Deckard

18. Scott Hinkel

19. J.D. Minch

20. Chauncey McDaniel

21. Coach Myers

22. John Hurrle

23. Larry Bergstrom

24. Tom Cameron

25. Dick Neal

26. Karl Deak

27. Rollie Hoover

28. Al Smith

29. Henry Wilk

30. Joe Caprino

31. Chris Lynch

32. Barry Humble

33. Tom Dolly

34. Andy Hobbs

35. Sean Bormet

36. Chuck Barnett

37. Darrick Snyder

38. Billy Thom

39. Mike Dowden

40. Louis Rosbottom

41. Jim Tonte

42. Jim Wadkins

43. Mike Goebel

44. T. Howard Jones

45. Cale Hoover

46. Danny Struck

47. Stephanie Tasseff

48. Angie Cooper

49. Renee Schoettle

50. Terry Wetherald

51.....52....53.....?

Twin...tis all good!

A nice ISWA list here to consider.  Some already on Drooke's list.

http://www.iswa.com/iswalife.html

I have noticed that a number of former UofI coach Terry Wetherald wrestlers are now influencing Indiana wrestling in some compacity or another around the state.  Having a hand in influcencing many good athletes to continue helping wrestling in Indiana past college is worthy of some notice.  Not to mention his sucessful career as a coach.

I shy away from posting here because so many greats were left off of this list!

I will only add ...

-How about those that founded the ISWA

AND

-Those that formed the Indiana Coaches Association

Also this may be of use: http://www.ihswca.com/clicktoseemembers.html

*Also of note: There are 10 'Beech Grover's' on the Hall of Fame List, counting all categories.  

I'll add to that:

Pete McNamara: founding member of the ISWA

Bill Bane: coached under Chauncey at Southport; coached BG to 1/2 point of a state title in '72; member of the PA and IN Hall of Fame; Director of the IHSAA State Finals 82/83(?)-99

Bob Morris:

Personal Accomplishments

?          1972 IHSAA State Runner-up 

?          Iowa State & Indiana Universities

?          3rd 1971 USAW Junior Nationals -Freestyle

?          5th 1972 USAW Junior Nationals -Freestyle

?          Finalist 1972 USAW Junior Nationals -Greco

?          Member 1972 Olympic Training Camp Squad ? Coach Morris was 1 of only 3 High Schoolers in Freestyle and the only High Schooler in Greco-Roman!

?          4th 1975 USAW Senior Nationals - Greco

?          5th 1976 USAW Senior Nationals - Greco

USA Wrestling

?          1985-86  Junior Director, IN/USAW

?          1986-88  State Chairman, IN/USAW

?          1987-88  Asst Chairman, USAW National Junior World Council

?          1989-90  Junior Director, CO/USAW

?          1990-91  Secretary, CO/USAW

?          2004-05  Coaches Director, CO/USAW

?          1989-91  Assistant Director, USAW - responsible for:

?          National Coaches Education, National Camps & Clinics, State Services, National Events, Merchandise, Sponsorship, Finance, International Exchanges

Head Coach

o    Indiana-USAW Junior Nationals -Greco (85 & 86)

o    Colorado-USAW Junior Nationals -Freestyle (91)

o    Indiana-USAW FS&GR Junior National Duals (92)

o    Team Leader, Head Coach or Assistant Coach too many times of other National teams & regional teams

o    Handled coaching duties for athletes earning spots on Team USA at Cadets (1989) & Junior Worlds (1990)

More Coaching!

o    Head Coach, Tiger WC (Bloomington) 1985-88  3 Junior National Medalists including 2 finalists, 1 Junior World All Americans & 2 FILA Cadet placers

o    Assistant Coach, Hoosier WC (IU) 1987-88  2 Junior World All Americans

o    Head Coach, Pikes Peak WC (Col Springs) 1989-91  2 Junior National & 1 Junior World All American

o    Assistant Coach, Perry Meridian WC 1992

o    Head Coach / Assistant Coach, BGWC 1996-2002 & 2005-2006 9 All Americans in Kids & Cadets in 2001 alone.  There were also several others during those years.

o    Head Coach / Assistant Coach, Westside WC (Col Springs) 2003-2005

1. Tom Clark

2. Ed Pendoski

3. Bill Hawkins

4. Leroy Vega

5. Alex Tsirtsis

6. Rex Peckinpaugh

7. James Tanniehill

8. Jim Humphrey

9. Bob Kopnisky

11. Jan and Sue Hesser

13. Phil Strader

14. John Smith

15. Trent McCormick

16. Jordin Humphrey

17. Royce Deckard

18. Scott Hinkel

19. J.D. Minch

20. Chauncey McDaniel

21. Coach Myers

22. John Hurrle

23. Larry Bergstrom

24. Tom Cameron

25. Dick Neal

26. Karl Deak

27. Rollie Hoover

28. Al Smith

29. Henry Wilk

30. Joe Caprino

31. Chris Lynch

32. Barry Humble

33. Tom Dolly

34. Andy Hobbs

35. Sean Bormet

36. Chuck Barnett

37. Darrick Snyder

38. Billy Thom

39. Mike Dowden

40. Louis Rosbottom

41. Jim Tonte

42. Jim Wadkins

43. Mike Goebel

44. T. Howard Jones

45. Cale Hoover

46. Danny Struck

47. Stephanie Tasseff

48. Angie Cooper

49. Renee Schoettle

50. Terry Wetherald

51. Pete McNamara

52. Bill Bane

53. Bob Morris

54. Angel Escobedo

55. Reece Humphrey

56. Andrew Howe

57. Bobby Cox

58. Bob Hasseman

59. Bryce Hasseman

60. Kevin Whitehead

61. Patt VanHorn

Y2, is it feasible to have a 60+ choice poll where an individual can pick 20 of them?  

I'll add to that:

Pete McNamara: founding member of the ISWA

Bill Bane: coached under Chauncey at Southport; coached BG to 1/2 point of a state title in '72; member of the PA and IN Hall of Fame; Director of the IHSAA State Finals 82/83(?)-99

Bob Morris:

I thought we were talking about "TODAY." Who are the mosy influentual people in Indiana TODAY...

Does Mac do anything for BG anymore? Mac's a legend but he's done and has been for years. Coack Morris has withdrawn too and I expect to see less of him after Duncan is gone. That's a guess, but I bet it's a good one. Bill Bane is one of the greatest men I've ever known. But these guys belong on another list. With the exception of Coach Morris, a guy who could have a HUGE Jim Humphrey-sized impact on Indiana wrestling if he could/would make the time commitment.

A lot of these guys being mentioned have had a tremendous and lasting impact on the sport, but they're hardly influencing the direction of the sport  in Indiana today.

I thought we were talking about "TODAY." Who are the mosy influentual people in Indiana TODAY...

Does Mac do anything for BG anymore? Mac's a legend but he's done and has been for years. Coack Morris has withdrawn too and I expect to see less of him after Duncan is gone. That's a guess, but I bet it's a good one. Bill Bane is one of the greatest men I've ever known. But these guys belong on another list. With the exception of Coach Morris, a guy who could have a HUGE Jim Humphrey-sized impact on Indiana wrestling if he could/would make the time commitment.

A lot of these guys being mentioned have had a tremendous and lasting impact on the sport, but they're hardly influencing the direction of the sport  in Indiana today.

I'm guessing Guru would be voting for 2 lists. 

"Most Influencial to restlings Growth In Indiana"

"Biggest Impact on Wrestling Today In Indiana"

I would also like to add the following just because their collegiate success is something many Indiana wrestlers are talking about and now aspiring too:

Angel Escobedo

Reece Humphrey

Andrew Howe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.