Freestyle Wrestling in Indiana will Die soon!

SlickRodz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The total cost of the Fargo trip is as follows:

Cadet Nationals

1 Style - $750

Both styles - $900

Junior Nationals

1 Style - $775

Both Styles - $925

Complete details, including cost of trips, can be found on page 115 of the 2010 Indiana Amateur Wrestling News

The total cost of the Fargo trip is as follows:

Cadet Nationals

1 Style - $750

Both styles - $900

Junior Nationals

1 Style - $775

Both Styles - $925

Complete details, including cost of trips, can be found on page 115 of the 2010 Indiana Amateur Wrestling News

Do you know the breakdown of cost. This seems very expensive! We do Disney Duals every year and for the entire week we pay $550 per wrestler (travel, lodging food and a day at the park). Why does a long weekend cost so much?

I am adding this- this also covers the training the week before if I understand correctly, that has some added cost I assume!

It seems to me that your problem with me is that I point out the shortfalls of Freestyle without doing anything to help in the improvement. I say to you that in-spite of the shortfalls of Freestyle, I take both of my boys to a Freestyle tourneys every weekend in the state of Indiana. I challenge you to show me how I could support the sport more!?

We as a state have a right to make adjustments to the FILA rules. This we must do. That would enable us to continue using wrestlers for officials, half-mats (no push-outs for older age groups) and improve numbers and lessen confusion.  Unlike you I have not been an official for 25 years, it is guys like you .... not me who must save Freestyle.

How about helping with pairing, table help, officiating....the more involved you are the more you will understand the process and how the entire program works. If you want change, then take the responsibility to help make the change.

Do you know the breakdown of cost. This seems very expensive! We do Disney Duals every year and for the entire week we pay $550 per wrestler (travel, lodging food and a day at the park). Why does a long weekend cost so much?

I am adding this- this also covers the training the week before if I understand correctly, that has some added cost I assume!

The Fargo costs cover much more than "a long weekend".  The travel expense is large because we have to use charter busses to transport over 100 wrestlers and coaches all the way to Fargo and back.  The cost includes equipment (singlets, jacket, shirt, shorts, bag, etc.)  It also covers food and lodging for the entire time we're in Fargo.  For one style, wrestlers are there for almost a full week.  For both styles, wrestlers are there for over a week.  And it does include a 4-day training camp with many Indiana college coaches and wrestlers as clinicians. 

Strict IHSAA rules don't allow us to give discounts to individuals based on performance (which many other states are able to do).  Some other states stay in hotels instead of the dorms and don't include food with their costs.  Also, a few other states have big donors that pay for much of the costs out of their own pocket.  In Indiana right now, we don't have some rich guy willing to do that.  The ISWA does budget usually $30,000 - $40,000 towards the trips as "athlete assistance" that helps lower the cost.

Every year, we try to find ways to reduce the costs of the trips.  Many times, our reductions just get washed out by the increasing costs of travel.

How about helping with pairing, table help, officiating....the more involved you are the more you will understand the process and how the entire program works. If you want change, then take the responsibility to help make the change.

All are great suggestions and I do volunteer for officiating and table help if it is just my older boy (junior in HS) going.  But if my little guy (3rd grade) goes as well I am there to support and watch him. I do like it when a wrestler stays on the same mat all day. That way I can work the table at or near him and still get to see.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.