Elkins wins!

dolphaholic

Congrats to Darren on a big TKO win. He shot and got the takedown early in Rnd. 1 and when he did Ludwig hurt his ankle real bad and couldn't continue. A wins a win and it bought him another oppurtunity in the UFC, and a huge TKO win at 44 secs. of Rnd. 1. Good weekend for IN wrestlers!

DUANE "BANG" LUDWIG VS. DARREN ELKINS

Round 1 - Local boy Ludwig gets a warm welcome, as expected, while Elkins is booed. Denver supports their own. Referee Tim Mills directs the action. Ludwig patient as he fakes a few shots. Elkins moves in but catches a left hand. Elkins shoots again, and Ludwig sprawls well. Elkins persists on the takedown and finally takes Ludwig to the floor. There's something wrong with Ludwig. Elkins backs away, and Mills comes in and waves the fight off. Replays show that Ludwig's left leg doubled under him as he fell to the floor, and his ankle twisted grotesquely. Ludwig is helped from the cage as the verdict is issued. Darren Elkins def. Duane Ludwig via TKO (ankle injury) - Round 1, 0:44.

www.mmajunkie.com

Following freak win over Duane Ludwig, Darren Elkins anxious for second UFC shot

by John Morgan on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:15 pm ET

While UFC lightweight Darren Elkins' (12-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) recent promotional debut was one of the most memorable in company history, it wasn't necessarily for all the right reasons.

Elkins' first-round takedown of Duane Ludwig at this past weekend's UFC on Versus 1 event resulted in a grotesque contortion of "Bang's" leg, and the resulting break ended the fight before it ever really began.

So while Elkins wishes Ludwig a speedy recovery, he's also looking forward to a chance to truly prove his abilities.

"It took away from my win," Elkins told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I wanted to go in there and show what kind of talent I was and that I belong in the UFC. This is where I want to stay at."

Elkins was a late-notice replacement for original opponent Spencer Fisher. Despite facing an experienced opponent with less than a full training camp, Elkins said he was surprisingly relaxed on fight night.

"Truthfully, without a doubt, I can say that was the most relaxed I've ever been coming into a fight," Elkins said. "I knew I had to be. Obvioulsy I'm fighting a really game opponent, and to do what I needed to do, I really had to come in there relaxed. If you get all tensed up, it's a lot easier to get knocked out.

"I've been competing at a top level and everything in wrestling since I was young. I'm used to the fans. I actually think I do better around big crowds and when pressure is on me. I'm one of those types of guys."

Facing a dangerous striker, Elkins knew he needed to put Ludwig on his back. He did so in less than a minute, but he returned to his feet almost immediately, leaving those in attendance unsure as to what had happened.

"I didn't realize it right away," Elkins said. "I didn't hear a pop or anything. He tapped right away, which most people didn't get to see. The ref didn't even see it.

"He tapped, and I jumped up because I knew that if he tapped something had to be wrong. It was just a takedown. It wasn't like I had a submission on him. I knew something was wrong. I don't think the ref saw him tap. He called time, and I said, 'He tapped.'"

After a few brief moments of confusion, replays showed what Ludwig already knew. His left leg was trapped beneath him during the takedown, and his ankle twisted backward and snapped his fibula.

"They showed it on the Jumbotron, and he said he broke his leg, and I think everybody realized what happened," Elkins said.

Elkins said he feels bad for Ludwig's misfortune, but the lightweight is also disappointed that he didn't get to finish what he started.

"I had him in the position I wanted to in the fight," Elkins said. "That's exactly what I wanted: him on his back and me on top. Its just unfortunate it happened that way. I'm hoping he recovers quick. I wish him a speedy recovery, and I wish him nothing but the best in the future."

Elkins isn't sure what his next move in his MMA career will be. In the meantime, the Indiana native will head back to his other job: pipefitting.

"I'm a local 597 pipefitter, actually," Elkins said. "I'm still in my apprenticeship. I still have another year, and then I get my hard card. It's an option that I can have for the rest of my life. When I'm done fighting, I can always go back to pipefitting.

"We're going to sit down with my manager, Nate Brodnax from MMA Agents. He said he's going to give me a call in a couple of weeks. We're going to work on a date and an opponent. I'm wanting to get in maybe in the next three or four months."

So Elkins is now 1-0 in the UFC, even if the victory did come in rather dubious fashion. Nevertheless, Elkins enjoyed his first trip to the octagon and looks forward to making his mark in his next outing.

"It was a great experience," Elkins said. "I went out there, and obviously I wasn't the crowd favorite because I fought him in his hometown, but it was great fighting in front of a big crowd and finally being in the UFC. It's been a dream of mine."