Cauliflower ear

hummels

Just because you have cauliflower ear makes you unintelligent?  That comment is unintelligent.

There is some truth to the statement.  If you have cauliflower ears, you were not intelligent enough to wear your headgear.

Really cool when you're young but when you're sitting across the table for an important job interview, you'll probably wish your ears didn't look like hamburger.

Unless you are sitting across from a former wrestler.... if you are I would say you are a LOCK for the job!!

For the record, the first time that i got cauliflower ear i had a set of triangle headgear on so the use of headgear is not the sole reason for getting it...try wrestling the right way is what causes it...straight forward hard nosed WRESTLING...if you don't want it, i would suggest not getting on the mat, but if you do then try the go to your back to the fetal position move i will just about bet you'll keep your ears as nice as new, but but suffer chronic back pain-------------> so pick you poison...

For the record, the first time that i got cauliflower ear i had a set of triangle headgear on so the use of headgear is not the sole reason for getting it...try wrestling the right way is what causes it...straight forward hard nosed WRESTLING...if you don't want it, i would suggest not getting on the mat, but if you do then try the go to your back to the fetal position move i will just about bet you'll keep your ears as nice as new, but but suffer chronic back pain-------------> so pick you poison...

First of all, i agree with Jimtown that if cauliflower ear is the worst thing that happens to your kid, then you should feel pretty good.  As far as the above quote, my son wrestled competitively for 6 years, was 95-14 (i mention this only to explain that he was far from being a pud, not to brag) in his h.s. career, always wore headgear in practice and almost always wore it in offseason tourney's (free, folk and greco) and never once came close to getting cauliflower ear.  Headgear DOES stop cauliflower ear in almost every case.  There are unique instances but they are few and far between. 

I have a very small amount of cali ear on one ear and I love it.  No one would even notice it unless they touch it.  It is a permanent reminder of my wrestling career.  I did wear headgear so it is probably why mine is so small.  But to have really bad cali ear is another story. 

I have two boys.  Collectively, they have over 15 years of wrestling and counting.  Twenty or more state titles, a few national championships (i.e. they didn?t spend much time in the fetal position or backing up), and zero cauliflower ears.  Headgear works. 

I have two boys.  Collectively, they have over 15 years of wrestling and counting.  Twenty or more state titles, a few national championships (i.e. they didn?t spend much time in the fetal position or backing up), and zero cauliflower ears.  Headgear works. 

Heck yeah it does!  I did my fair share of hard wrestling and I always wore a headgear and never had any problems.  I am sure people have gotten cauliflower ear while wearing a headgear, but the point is that wearing a headgear significantly reduces the chances of it happening.  Like I said before, I think coaches should make their wrestlers wear their headgear at all times during practice, even during drills.  I know we had to, and I am glad we did.  Anyone know if the IHSAA requires it?  Or is it left to the individual schools and coaches? 

Jimtown- that is a silly post. Sure, if Cabbage on your ear is the worst thing that happens to you then you are fairly well off. that doesnt mean that it is just fine to get it when it is pretty preventable! It wouldn't be the end of the world if i burned my arm on the oven, but you dont see me takin pizza's out without gloves on!

The lady with the 11 year old son with Cauliflower ear - perhaps some parenting skills? how do you let that happen?!

Did you read somewhere where I said that my son didn't wear headgear?

Tell us a little about your parenting skills...

Good luck with your cabbage pizza...

just punch it. that should get the fluid out  ;D

haha thats what happened with mine, my coach made us wear headgear at all times, and i wore mine during practice in the off season but not at tournaments, anyways when i started to get it a kid punched it and it popped and hurt like crazy, now i just have it a little bit most people don't even notice

ive gotten cauliflower ear past two season and i wouldnt trade it for anything :) but heres an easy fix that saves a doctor visit and bill all you need is a needle, syringe, and an ice cube(if you cant handle the pain but its not that bad) this is simple and easy just stick the needle in the lowest part of the soft area and suck it out. once you get most all of it out pull the needle out and squeese the area towards where you needle as then just ice it down and if possible get an ace bandage and wrap it around so the it keeps your ear pressed against your head. the pain isnt that bad i had to drain mine 5 times this year.

ive gotten cauliflower ear past two season and i wouldnt trade it for anything :) but heres an easy fix that saves a doctor visit and bill all you need is a needle, syringe, and an ice cube(if you cant handle the pain but its not that bad) this is simple and easy just stick the needle in the lowest part of the soft area and suck it out. once you get most all of it out pull the needle out and squeese the area towards where you needle as then just ice it down and if possible get an ace bandage and wrap it around so the it keeps your ear pressed against your head. the pain isnt that bad i had to drain mine 5 times this year.

Whoa dude! Where do you get a needle and syringe? You're like freakin' MacGyver!

ive gotten cauliflower ear past two season and i wouldnt trade it for anything :)

As I've said, when you're past the "awesome dude" years, you'll wish you could trade your chewed up ears for a pair that doesn't require a Beatles haircut to hide them when you're up for a huge promotion or job interview.  With age comes perspective, gentlemen.

Did you read somewhere where I said that my son didn't wear headgear?

Tell us a little about your parenting skills...

Good luck with your cabbage pizza...

speaking as the parent of the 11 yr old.. he did have a head gear on however the head straps I guess were not adjusted and the constan rubbing is what caused it.. so wrestle with a headgear but also make sure it fits.. we invested in a chin strap also

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.