Coaches changing schools

Yep, messageboard posts are open to interpretation. But one would hope that people who are working in our state's educational system (either as coaches or teachers or both) would be able to make an informed and well thought out interpretation of people's comments on a message board. Then again, I guess this is why most the people who make so called "intepretations" don't have work in those big powerful schools that grab all the best people.

I guess whether my interpretations are well thought out and/or informed is open to interpretation as well.  But let's just say I will not be putting much stock in whether you think they are well thought out and/or informed.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess whether my interpretations are well thought out and/or informed is open to interpretation as well.  But let's just say I will not be putting much stock in whether you think they are well thought out and/or informed.

You just blew my mind dude...

I guess whether my interpretations are well thought out and/or informed is open to interpretation as well.  But let's just say I will not be putting much stock in whether you think they are well thought out and/or informed.

Thats ok, i'll still love you either way. I would never want you to change for me, but rather so that you may understand the situation you are discussing a little better, more importantly the other side if the situation.

Doesn't matter, cause how could a tiny school like garrett pay for such a great coach? I would think he would go to the larger schools because they pay more right? I mean that is why these small schools can't compete, coaches want to go where they get paid, right?

Columbia City did pay more...with more assistant coaches too.  and an extra prep period for the head coach, and the head coach got to negotiate his own contract.  What you don't understand is that he was let go at Columbia City and was not a head coach for 4 years.

Columbia City did pay more...with more assistant coaches too.  and an extra prep period for the head coach, and the head coach got to negotiate his own contract.  What you don't understand is that he was let go at Columbia City and was not a head coach for 4 years.

what you don't understand is that it was a tounge in cheek/joke post to whoever it was that i was talking to back then.  ;)

what you don't understand is that it was a tounge in cheek/joke post to whoever it was that i was talking to back then.  ;)

So what point were you trying make by bringing up the Columbia City/Garrett football situation?  I don't think you realized he was fired at Columbia City.  Those that know this information would understand why he took the Garrett job 4 years later.

Were you trying to prove to us all that coaches do move down in class?  I won't disagree with you

Were you trying to prove that highly successful coaches move down in class?  I would disagree with you.

i didn't bring it up.... someone else did... i couldn't care less about the CC coaching situation, I do not even know the coaching situation. I was just joking around with whoever brought it up. So no reason to get your panties in a bunch.... and no i am not inferring that you wear panties or are a girl, it too is just a joke.  Just thought i would clarify, wouldn't want anyone to "interpret" it in a wrong manner.

Hey I went to track practice come back and there is all of this about what people interpreted from my post.  How about interpreting this;  some coaches have left their small school for reasons of success, and to get more coaching pay.  Tell me how that is interpreted because I have said it the entire time.

[font=Verdana]One of the arguments that I hear for class wrestling is that the good coaches leave small schools and go to bigger schools for more success.  I am not saying that this does not happen, but I am just wondering situations were it has occurred.  Again im just trying to get some discussion going, I am not saying it does not happen, I can think of Randy Kerby as an example going from Bluffton to Columbia City.  What I do feel is that it doesn't happen very often.

I think coaching changes occur more often than not do to teaching oppurtunities than for coaching success.  I may be mistaken but I just dont think that these moves happen that often.

I also found this interesting.  This is a link to the football coaching changes from 07-08.  I do not notice alot of the coaches going from small schools to big schools on this list.

http://ifca.zebras.net/ifca/candler/foot2008/coaching_changes.htm

One final thing that I think we could discuss under this topic is the idea of elite coaches, and where they came from.  Did they start at a small school?  Did they start at the bigger school?  what kind of success would they or did they at a small school?  Just trying to cause soome disscussion, so dont jump my case if im wrong on this, i just cant think off of the top of many head  coaches going to big schools after having success at small schools.[/font]

How about interpreting this;  some coaches have left their small school for reasons of success, and to get more coaching pay.

Does this mean that coaches only leave small schools to join big schools because of pay and success? ;-)

just kidding busco, glad you cleared it up for the  umpteenth time.

It's all good, busco.... to be honest, no one ever said I had class, but I have been called a smart ._____________(rhymes wth class).  How was track practice? It was a beautiful day here, hopefully it was there too.

ok, so i am now a loser... postponed grilled hamburgers to look for that post i made my inference from.... Y2 tells us that he loves the garrett community, has a special thing with the community, and that he is in no hurry to leave.... and here i inferred that he wanted to go back to Garrett after college. My bad, but here is the post.

Where are there six statements that would lead you to believe what you did?  I see one and maybe two.  I need four more.

Where are there six statements that would lead you to believe what you did?  I see one and maybe two.  I need four more.

I need six? Who said I needed six? You? Do you set the rules?  I don't think so. My rule and most people's rules are that you atleast have "statements" that back your opinion. I mean you can even be in the so called "wrong" opinion, but if you have facts that hold water that back you up, most college profs will even pass you. Well you have 0 facts that hold water to back you up, so you fail.

Fact is, my one or two "statements" actually can hold water... I showed how your "statements" were rather weak, you never responded. But if i wanted to, I am sure i could pull some things out of my butt and come up with 4 more weak "statements" to match your 6. But its not going to happen cause well, I prefer to back myself up with strong statements, even if they are only one or two. I do wonder how one could have graduated college with the way you are unable to use statements in their correct context to back up your opinion. I mean really its quite a basic requirement to pass most classes. Well atleast any humanities class or writting class. Maybe you majored in mathematics? Naw, I would guess since you think a random sample will always equal the percentage  of all, I know that can't be the case. Maybe computer science? Computer programming? I mean you did set the website up, so you have some knowledge about computers. Guess you don't have to support arguments with facts in the computer industry, you just do what they train you to do.

Anyway enough speculating, and back from my detour about what you majored in, it is the fact that you are basing good interpretations off of the number of statements rather than the quality of the statements shows that you are grasping for straws there buddy. So while you wait for 4 more "statements" I will wait for atleast 2 statements that are atleast able to tread water.

I will make this interpretation though, Busco does not beleive that coaches never leave for money reasons or success reasons. How do I know? I read what he had to say about it. Infact I can give you 6 busco statements that hold water and that clearly show he does not believe coaches never leave for financial or successful programs. Six statements that clearly debunk your out of context or miscomprehended statements. Don't believe me, well here ya go...

#1)

How about interpreting this;  some coaches have left their small school for reasons of success, and to get more coaching pay.

#2)

One of the arguments that I hear for class wrestling is that the good coaches leave small schools and go to bigger schools for more success.  I am not saying that this does not happen, but I am just wondering situations were it has occurred.

#3)

Hey your probably right,  I just know that I personally would put a lot of emphasis on getting back to the area where I was from.  Thats me, it may not have played a big role in his decision. 
he said you were probably right about him leaving not just for going home, but for financial and success reasons as well.

#4)

At what point in the discussion did I ever say this?  Several times in this disscussion I have stated that I may be wrong, or even given examples when a coach has went to a bigger school from a smaller school.  I have never once said that it has never happened as the quote above says.  I do feel that these are possible reasons for changes, but not the only ones.  If by improve financially you mean get a teaching job then I completly agree.  If you are ensuing that a coach leaves the school they are at because the coaching pay only is different then I totally disagree.  I also believe that while the chance for success is important to these coaches ,it is also obvious that in most of these situations location has been a factor.  I am simply putting up my opinion as that an opinion,  yet at the same time others opionions are treated as facts.  Twice in the discussion your arguments have shown holes, once with Coach Harper looking for a teaching postion and us not knowing if there were teaching openings at Marian or St. Joe,  and once with Coach Struck saying he wouldn't have left Greencastle.  Again I am not saying it never happens,  I just feel that teaching jobs and location play bigger roles than the possibility of coaching success, but i may be wrong.

#5)

Big Dan show me any point were I tried to imply that no coach has ever tried to improve their situation financially or to have more success.  I have never once said or implied this.  I have said or implied that I do not think that it is the only reason that coaches change schools.

#6)

I started this post as a look in to why coaches left their schools, and if most people agree that it is for wrestling success which I do not believe to be the case in all of the situations brought foward, so how that is me saying that "no one has ever left a small school for a big school for success" is beyond me. 

Read 'em and weep Y2, proof that your interpretation is nothing but a load of doo doo.

People tend to find a job they can get the first time around and then go for a job they want (if thats not it) the next time.  So in most cases I would expect people to move around in jobs.  If they are a lay coach they may move to a new coaching position because the city and the job they are moving to is better for them than their original job was.  Coaches/teachers tend to start as a small school more because that is the place where jobs open up more as other teacher move to a new job.  That next job is usually the one they wanted which could be because of location to home, pay raise, former school loyalty, a child education, moving up to head coach or other coaching options available.  Sure some wrestling head coaches move around to bigger or other small schools because of the wrestling oppertunity presented but I would say that is only a portion of the reason.

I thought this was a coaches changing school thread, You should here a HUGE announcement in the next few months of another Indy based school getting a new hall of fame college wrestler and a very proud father as head coach. I hope it works out he could turn the school around quick. Stay Tuned.

and would likely go back to homestead in heartbeat if the head job became available

why?  its not like Homestead has faired much better than Bluffton.  Last 2 years Homestead only has 1 more SQ than Bluffton.

Maybe because Homestead has enough wrestlers for a middle school team.  Maybe because Homestead has either been second or first in their sectional the past five years.  Maybe because Homestead has another paid coaching position. Maybe having 800 more boys to choose from makes filling a line-up and filling it with quality kids a lot easier.  Maybe because the athletic budget is bigger for Homestead therefore they can go to different areas of the state to prepare their kids for the state series.

Those are the reasons I personally would choose Homestead over Bluffton.

Maybe because Homestead has enough wrestlers for a middle school team.  Maybe because Homestead has either been second or first in their sectional the past five years.  Maybe because Homestead has another paid coaching position. Maybe having 800 more boys to choose from makes filling a line-up and filling it with quality kids a lot easier.  Maybe because the athletic budget is bigger for Homestead therefore they can go to different areas of the state to prepare their kids for the state series.

Those are the reasons I personally would choose Homestead over Bluffton.

Maybe...

Why can't Bluffton have enough wrestlers for a middle school team?  There are plenty of small schools with full MS rosters? I agree the Homestead middle schools do have more possibilities than does Bluffton, not gonna argue that one, but if we look back at the past 15 year Bluffton has had more conference titles, state champions and Im pretty sure state placers than Homestead.  How could it be?  

why?  its not like Homestead has faired much better than Bluffton.  Last 2 years Homestead only has 1 more SQ than Bluffton.

What point are you trying to make?  I don't want to misinterpret you but it appears you trying to say Homestead and Bluffton are at a nearly equal level because Homestead has had only one more SQ in the last 2 years.  Is that what you are trying to say?

If that is what you are trying to say, I would say you are clueless. 

If that is not what you are trying to say, I would say you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Since I don't think you are clueless, I can only assume you are arguing for the sake of arguing

I dont think he is arguing that on a whole as a team Bluffton is equal with Homestead, I think he is saying that on an individual basis Homestead and Bluffton have had about the same success.  Why don't we look at Whitko instead of Bluffton.  Similar sizes, similar demographics.  Whitko was able to beat Homestead at team Regionals.  So if they are not equal what speacial power did Whitko have to beat them?  How were they able to do it when a team like Bluffont couldn't with all of their disadvantages.

Why can't Bluffton have enough wrestlers for a middle school team?  There are plenty of small schools with full MS rosters? I agree the Homestead middle schools do have more possibilities than does Bluffton, not gonna argue that one, but if we look back at the past 15 year Bluffton has had more conference titles, state champions and Im pretty sure state placers than Homestead.  How could it be? 

Because before Pursley got there, they were hideous.  Angola has produced more state placers than busco the past 2 years.  Does that make them a better program??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.