DIII's-Cedar Rapids

I was going to update Y2 from my laptop on these, but somehow I got a problem with internet explorer that has currently no explanation.

After the early morning 5 hour drive to Cedar Rapids, I met up with Nick's (Kraus) family at the hotel and we went to the US Cellular Center in CR.  For those of you who've never been there, Cedar Rapids is a nothing town.  Downtown Indy is much more fun and favorable, because it at least has more than two restaurants open.  But I didn't come for cuisine--I came for grappling!

Nick's first match was one to show how not to stay on bottom and stationary.  After Nick gave up a takedown in the first period, he chose bottom.  Unfortunately, the guy he wrestled was a great rider and got ahold of his arm and got 3 pts on a tilt and rode him out for two minutes.

It didn't get better.  Nick ended up losing 10-1.  This kid was the #1 seed, so there was some work to be done before the next match.

I followed the Wabash duo as well and texted Joe the update.  Strausbaugh (sp) won his first but dropped the next two.  Their wrestler at 197 was similarly two-and-out.

Before I get to Nick's final match of his career, I have several observations.

1.  Scrambles.  Holy Googly Moogley!!  I've never seen anything quite like this.  No one gave up a takedown without contesting, contorting, bending, splinding, and mutilating.  It was simply amazing some of the spots kids got themselves out of.

2.  Officiating.  Let's never be that critical of our HS state officials.  Some of the stuff called (or not called) I found atrocious and the officials on a national level are never wrong.  Except when they are, and then they're still not.  There was one instance where 6 seconds was put back on the clock, but the 6 seconds of riding time (huge in college for those not in the know) wasn't.  I was amazed that at a national level a gafffe this big was made.  Thankfully the right kid (and I say kid and know they're men but I'm so far much older than they are) won the match in the end.  Had that not happened, it would have been a travesty of Aldrichian proportions.

3.  Fans.  I came away impressed with the level of support from the people of Iowa for wrestling.  I know there's not much else to do in that state, but the local teams (Coe College, Augsburg) had a huge number of people.  With the Augsburg crowd, I was remined of the Mater Dei days when their fans would fill up half the stadium.  It was loud, vocal, and a whole lot of fun to be around.

Final match.  I talked to Nick afterwards and he gave me the lowdown on how dirty the kid was that he was wrestling.  Basically the match started and the UW Whitewater wrestler was grabbing Nick's headgear (which eventually broke under the strain) and putting his thumb in Nick's neck.  Quality officiating result:  stalling on Trine.

The first period progressed and the UW kid kept trying to push Nick out to get the stalling call.  Going to the edge, Nick threw this kid in a lateral drop (yes, a lateral.  I also saw a side 3/4 nelson applied and a side headlock during the tournament) to get 2 pts and 2 nearfall.  The UW kid got penalized finally for grabbing Nick's headgear, so the score was 5-0.

Then it went south.

UW got away. Got a takedown.  5-3.  Nick got away to make it 6-3, but no one was thinking this match was in the books.  Nick gets hit with not one, but two stalling calls during the match.  Being tied (and Nick had :54 seconds of riding time--ouchy) at the end there was a scramble and the UW kid ended up with the takedown.  Game, set, match, career.

Being that I'm his old HS coach, I came away nothing but proud of the man I helped raise.  I know Coach Callahan and Coach Ester were upset, but I tend to put things in perspect in my advanced age.  Personally, this was a weekend to cherish because I saw this young man advance from our elementary division to a national qualifier.  That he was one step away from being an All-American is huge, but what he's done for the community and New Prairie wrestling cannot be quantified.  He's set such a huge example for the young kids in our program to emulate and strive for, and that's nothing to scoff at.  Phenonmenal kids such as Nick only come through a program once in a while, and it was a joy and pleasure to get to know him, coach him, and (garsh, here comes the maudlin) grow to love him.  He's a fantastic young man who I hope finds the right program to coach at (we're working on it at NP) because he'll be a huge assest.

While the weekend ended prematurely, I cannot begin to express what this has meant to me.  I don't coach at Mishawaka or Yorktown:  I coach at New Prairie.  To have one of my former wrestlers go and do what Nick did is beyond words.  Obviously I'm not his father, but if I had a son, I'd want him to be like Nick.

So, to wrap this up (and I know it's kind of long, but my laptop puked so this is what you get) it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  But it's a time I wouldn't have missed for the world.  I couldn't be prouder.

Wes Hobart

Head Coach, New Prairie

AKA Insanoflex

PS  That isn't my pic on the avatar

Coach Hobart, what a great tribute to a fine young man. I am sure that you are equally as important to Nick as he is to you. All to often in this or any other sport, we get tied up in wins and loses, and championships. We forget about the friendships that are formed, and the bonds that tie us together. Nick is a lucky man to have people like you in his life. It was not the end to his carrer that he envisioned I am sure. I did not get to know Nick like you have, however I did come to respect his work ethic, and desire to better himself not only on the mat, but in life as a whole. That comes from having people in his life like you. You are whats right with this sport, and I thank you for your time spent with the kids you coach.

Dave Odom

THANK YOU for sharing your personal experiences and deepest thoughts concerning Nick and the championships, Coach!!!  With just this one post I can guarantee that Nick isn't the only wrestler you have coached that has become a  better person for having known YOU. 

Well done!

Great write up coach.  Couldn't agree with you more about Nick.  Saw him many times in junior high and high school.  He was always a class act.  One of those guys you see, remember, and wish there were more like him.  I've been wondering where he would end up after college.  I thought I was the only one thinking that sure would be a great fit at New Prairie!  Don't sell yourself short either.  The program there has a good future.