How good nationally is Mishawaka?

I saw them the first time this season at team state....very good team?  I saw in the latest poll they were #19 I believe.  Does Mishawaka compete with other top teams in other states?  I watched at least two teams who, in my opinion, were better this year.  So I ask, how good nationally are they?  Do they fall in the top 40?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them the first time this season at team state....very good team?  I saw in the latest poll they were #19 I believe.  Does Mishawaka compete with other top teams in other states?  I watched at least two teams who, in my opinion, were better this year.  So I ask, how good nationally are they?  Do they fall in the top 40?

I fail to see the point of your question.  You ask how good nationally they are, but you answered your own question by saying that one poll has them #19.  I believe they have beaten two of the better programs in Michigan (Lowell and Lakeshore), someone correct me if I have the names wrong.  So you saw two teams you feel are better; go ahead and come out with it, what teams are they?

Honestly, I would say 3-5 teams....Brandon FL may be the best in the country and their team was as dominant a team as I have ever seen.

Oviedo, FL and Springstead FL I think are better.....it sure would be fun to watch a lot of these teams compete.  Those are the only nationally ranked teams I have seen (two behind Mishawaka).

Indiana's best compared to Michigan's top Division 1 teams:

Yorktown 39, Holt, MI 28

(MI Fourth-place) Oxford 31, Holt 27

(MI Champs) Detroit Catholic Central 35, Oxford 25

Mishawaka 32, Lowell, MI 18

(MI Runner-up) Rockford 27, Lowell 25

(MI Champs) Detroit CC 39, Rockford 24

Score comparisons, especially vicarious comparisons, don't tell the whole story.  However, these scores would suggest Yorktown could hang with Detroit CC and Detroit CC could probably give Mishawaka a good match.  Not sure what this means exactly. 

Also, Trinity of Louisville won the Kentucky state title.  Mater Dei and Franklin both beat them at EMD's tournament.

One more comparison: Merrillville and EMD both beat Farmington, MO in competitive duals (5 and 14 points).  Farmington finished 6th in Missouri's Class 3 state finals (out of 4 classes).

Posted by kingfelix34 on the Florida wrestling board (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=376&f=1462&t=5667340):

"I had a chance to watch the IN state finals this past weekend and see # 19 Mishawaka.  They won with ease, but were completely classless.  They had a team point deducted when one of their wrestlers did a planned celebration dance after winning an OT match, had fans flipping off another wrestler, and were among the most obnoxious, least disciplined teams I have ever been around.

I couldn't help but wish that they would get out of their tiny circle and travel this way to wrestle some of the better FL teams.  Brandon is light years better.....Oviedo is better, and from the small amount I have watched Springstead they are better.  Osceola and American also, in my opinion, looked better.  I've only been here for three years, but there is talent and a love for the sport in this state and it gets me pumped.  It seems that each year it is growing and competition keeps improving, and that speaks volumes to the ppl who are making it what it is here."

Same guy as FLwrestling?  You be the judge.  No matter- the irony is that Florida wrestling is about as ugly, shady, and lowdown as it gets.  If you aint cheatin', recruitin' and findin' loopholes, the you aint tryin'.  I know from experience.  I will, however, say this about Florida:  Brandon is really, really, really good.  Like scary good.  I should also say that I met many great coaches too- several who also have Indiana connections.

I saw Blair Academy wrestle Bishop Lynch from Texas.  Blair won easily and is ranked in the top 2-3, I'm sure.  I thought the announcers said Lynch was a top 25 team.  They had some excellent wrestlers, for sure, but Blair tore them up.

Mishawaka would beat a lot of state's team state champs. #19 seems pretty reasonable and, outside of Brandon, they would do quite well against Florida's best.

What's impressive about Indiana's overall team strength is the number of truly stout teams in the past 7 or 8 years--Crown Point last  year was disgustingly good, Mishawaka was arguably better this year than in 07-08 (which is saying something), the stacked LN teams of 2003 and 2004, EMD's "true" teams of the 2000s...and those are just the champs.

Indiana isn't on the level of the elite wrestling states yet, but neither is Florida.

Mishawaka would beat a lot of state's team state champs. #19 seems pretty reasonable and, outside of Brandon, they would do quite well against Florida's best.

What's impressive about Indiana's overall team strength is the number of truly stout teams in the past 7 or 8 years--Crown Point last  year was disgustingly good, Mishawaka was arguably better this year than in 07-08 (which is saying something), the stacked LN teams of 2003 and 2004, EMD's "true" teams of the 2000s...and those are just the champs.

Indiana isn't on the level of the elite wrestling states yet, but neither is Florida.

What do you mean by EMD's "true" teams?

What do you mean by EMD's "true" teams?

I mean they were teams in the truest sense of the word. Not saying that the other champs this past decade weren't, but EMD was notorious for getting every last ounce of ability out of their kids and their weaker wrestlers weren't liabilities because they bought into the team concept. I meant it as a compliment.

The thing that hurts Mishawaka's team ranking is a lack of nationally ranked kids on their team.  The only one is Stahl, with Beck and Lentz possibly being honorable mention.  Mishawaka has a great team with no real holes in the line-up, it is very rare to put together 14 kids like that in a line-up.

The thing that hurts Mishawaka's team ranking is a lack of nationally ranked kids on their team.  The only one is Stahl, with Beck and Lentz possibly being honorable mention.  Mishawaka has a great team with no real holes in the line-up, it is very rare to put together 14 kids like that in a line-up.

Exactly right. Not a weak link among them.

I mean they were teams in the truest sense of the word. Not saying that the other champs this past decade weren't, but EMD was notorious for getting every last ounce of ability out of their kids and their weaker wrestlers weren't liabilities because they bought into the team concept. I meant it as a compliment.

No offence taken I just didn't know what you ment.

I think #19 is pretty appropriate

Mishiwaka was a very good team in a fairly weak year for teams in the state

After losing 8 starters from 08-09, all of us at Crown Point thought we were going to really struggle as a team this year,  I bet Crown Point has had 5-10 teams since Vlink arrived that were better than this one and we were still arguably the 2nd best team in the state.

I watched that ESPN special on the Brandon FL team a couple of years ago when their ridiculous string of victories was broken.  They showed clips of their wrestlers at the FL state tourney and I saw a lot of shoddy wrestling (hip tosses, head locks, etc) that you would never see at Conseco.  Now maybe FL h.s. wrestling has vastly improved in the 2 or 3 years since that show was taped, but from what I saw, FL h.s. wrestling was very weak compared to IN h.s. wrestling.  Rather than bring up a bogus wrestling state like FL to compare Mish to, how about someone talking about elite teams from real wrestling states like OH, PA, IA and IL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.