Reasons for a class system for team state

youngone

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHats with Jimtown at semi state?  Not trying to get anyone mad here.  They wrestle a pretty descent schedule with the Al Smith in there.  I was really thinking they were going to do some serious damage down at state.  It was a shame to see.

So what is it that you're trying to do? Do you have a son wrestling?

Yeah he came graduated in 2005 though.  I have just been arround the sport for decades and I just found this website one day and spiced the site up.  It was kinda boring for a while.  It was a giant Hallmark comercial.  This is a disscusson board so I wanted to get it going and I did just that.  Y2 personally has thanked me with several private messages on here.  He said that the site had not seen as much traffic before I started posting.

Yeah he came graduated in 2005 though.  I have just been arround the sport for decades and I just found this website one day and spiced the site up.  It was kinda boring for a while.  It was a giant Hallmark comercial.  This is a disscusson board so I wanted to get it going and I did just that.  Y2 personally has thanked me with several private messages on here.  He said that the site had not seen as much traffic before I started posting.

Yeah it's like a train wreck, you just gotta watch.

I have never stated anything that was that far off.  My track record is pretty good.  I challange anyone to find anything on this board that I messed up on and did not admit fault.

So what is it that you want to know about Jimtown at semi state, that you couldn't look up yourself without starting trouble?

I was following them all year and they were beating up teams.  I guess between them and Goshen I was thinking they would do better down at semi state.  I  didn't mean to be offensive I was just wandering if the flu was going arround or what.  Because I though all both these teams would take 3 or more.

I was following them all year and they were beating up teams.  I guess between them and Goshen I was thinking they would do better down at semi state.  I  didn't mean to be offensive I was just wandering if the flu was going arround or what.  Because I though all both these teams would take 3 or more.

It just didn't happen. We had two previous SS qualifiers bow out in the second round, one lost 6-5. The other 5 were SS newbies, with one going to the state finals as a freshmen.

It just didn't happen. We had two previous SS qualifiers bow out in the second round, one lost 6-5. The other 5 were SS newbies, with one going to the state finals as a freshmen.

Jimtown will be solid for a looooooooong time, though.  Their middle school program is rock solid, as Nick Crume this year showed and Tristan Macri soon also will show.

How many of Y2's  wahoos are from Karl, bigdanteague, and galagore?  I am guessing 500 hundred plus.  I know I have left for two days and had like 100 extra boos.  Those guys must set an alarm every hour at night just to wake up and boo me.  I also know pintowin was at +22 before yesterday at 2 pm.  These guys are dorks.

The IHSAA will never class wrestling. Wrestling will die out in the next 20 years (my prediction) and I'm pretty sure the IHSAA shares that. Many small schools are already considering dropping wrestling due to financial reasons. They are not even considering the pay to play option because low income families can't afford it. The IHSAA will benefit from public school elimination or consolidation. There will be hardly any sport changes in the next few years until things get settled down financially and that may be a long time. I hope wrestling doesn't disintegrate. For those of you who know me, it has had a very big part in my life as well as hope for my son. But money is an issue and no association, both teacher's or coach's, can influence that (unfortunately).

If they ever do class it the school sport may as well die out because the most prestiguos tournement will be the off season state with all the good wrestlers there.  it will be a very sad day when we go down to huntington high school a month after the season to find out who the true champion is.  

• 4 months later...

I have to be honest, I read every page up until page 26 and then jumped to page 62 to post my reply. 

My son has wrestled for two of the smallest schools in the state for the last 12 years (no, he's not retarded he just started at the age of 4 in the school's wrestling clubs).  Since the age of 10, he didn't care which school his opponent was from (big or small) as he tracked the individual, not the school.  No matter how big or small a school is has no direct effect on the individual wrestler other than the fact that the bigger school has a bigger pool of athletes to pick from.  More athletes/participants do not make better wrestlers.  The cream of the crop (in my opinion) come from the off-season programs they participate in AND the individual (think the "you can lead a horse to water, but not make him drink" analogy).  The best wrestlers are not a product of the high-school wrestling program, season, practices or matches, at our home those are just "practice" for off-season AAU/USA matches and the state individual competition.  Good high school coaches encourage this activity and help the athletes by fund-raising and with transportation to ensure participation (also my opinion).

I believe if wrestling was classed, my son would hold no value in a state team title, for it would not represent the best of the best.  The beauty of wrestling is the individuals get to compete as individuals and if they are lucky, there are enough of them on one team to take their team to a state title and compete in a tourney of their peers (those other schools, big or small) who made it that far.

Off-season wrestling makes the wrestler and the team, and I apologize for repeating what others may have in pages 27 through 62.

Also, whoever made the comment of high school wrestling having another 20 year life-expectancy I do hope you are wrong as I hope to follow this sport for a very long time.  However, Rossville has already put an end-date to their program as the teachers want their very small, very humble wrestling room for another class room or teacher's lounge...or some other crap.  Their decision has nothing to do with money it has to do with the fact that they don't value the sport and no longer have a coach who puts the effort in to the building blocks of the program (which are the little kids) therefore there has been no growth.  That is a shame.

Who doesn't like to watch a Cinderella story every February at Conseco, the kid from the small school, name not published on this website (at all or not very much), not ranked... wrestle (and sometimes, sometimes) slay giants?  Outside of watching my son compete at that tournament, that is my favorite part of the whole experience. 

I will post a new topic called "Cinderella Stories" so anyone interested in the non-famous wrestlers or wrestlers from the small schools in the state can either brag or post their comments there.

Good topic, a conversation that occurs in my house quite often.  Hope I was not too redundant.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.