Willis Might have Surgery

Griffithguy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the guy does have to have surgery why was he out there for the finals?  Who cleared him?  The kids a sophmore he has 2 more shots at a title it may look worse on the coaches if he does have surgery.  I have no real problem with the situation if he was hurt and doesn't wrestle in the finals.  My problem comes from the fact that he was either to hurt to wrestle or not hurt enough to take the free ride to the finals.  It can not be both ways.  If our going to put the kids health on the line do it for both matches.  It was a classless act by the coaches.  They knew there would be boos if he continued to wrestle in the tournement, so quit blaiming hte fans.  You get respect when you deserve it.

If the guy does have to have surgery why was he out there for the finals?  Who cleared him?  The kids a sophmore he has 2 more shots at a title it may look worse on the coaches if he does have surgery.  I have no real problem with the situation if he was hurt and doesn't wrestle in the finals.  My problem comes from the fact that he was either to hurt to wrestle or not hurt enough to take the free ride to the finals.  It can not be both ways.  If our going to put the kids health on the line do it for both matches.  It was a classless act by the coaches.  They knew there would be boos if he continued to wrestle in the tournement, so quit blaiming hte fans.  You get respect when you deserve it

I see your point totally.    I'm not a doctor (just play one on TV),  but was there more "lengthy" testing and/ or evaluating that was needed to be done after the match to determine with more certainty whether he should compete in the finals?  In otherwords,  based on the "immediate" evaluation done with in the limited time during the match, it looked a lot more (potentially)  serious than the later, more extensive evaluation looked.  I don't know, just throwin it out there.

Ok, maybe some of you armchair doctors need some schooling.  Most of us have stubbed their toe, or hit their finger with a hammer in their lifetime I assume.  Now, while it may hurt a bit for the rest of the day, the pain slowly starts to subside after the initial injury.  I agree that it will hurt like a b*%ch initially, but after a few minutes, and some heavy cursing, you are able to function again. 

I would assume the same would be true with your shoulder dislocating/separating although it would be on a higher level of pain.  My guess is he had several hours where the pain went down on its own, and may have even taken some advil or whatever duck and run (and you other clowns) takes for his menstral cramping.

I had the pleasure of a dislocated shoulder, it went back in but it also came out again with just a little exertion . I think the Dr that alowed him to wrestle missed it badly. The health of the athlete needs to come first.

What ever happens with Ty I am sure he will come back from this mentally and physically stronger than ever. Ty is a great kid with great parents, I know he did not take the "easy way out" he was injured during a match and came back to wrestle in a match he has dreamed about being in since he was 5 or 6 (under the lights). Best wishes to the Willis's, This kid is one of Indys toughest and he has not been brought up to take the easy way out. So give him the respect he deserves the ones thats do not will be the next two years .I guarantee it!!

Ok, maybe some of you armchair doctors need some schooling.  Most of us have stubbed their toe, or hit their finger with a hammer in their lifetime I assume.  Now, while it may hurt a bit for the rest of the day, the pain slowly starts to subside after the initial injury.  I agree that it will hurt like a b*%ch initially, but after a few minutes, and some heavy cursing, you are able to function again. 

I would assume the same would be true with your shoulder dislocating/separating although it would be on a higher level of pain.  My guess is he had several hours where the pain went down on its own, and may have even taken some advil or whatever duck and run (and you other clowns) takes for his menstral cramping.

I had a leg injury during cross country in high school and finished the race, wound up in a wheel chair and had numerous surgeries over the next 6 months and had to have wires in my spine for the next 9 years. In the moment you can ignore pain and think it's not as bad as possible. I hope he gets better quickly and it is nothing serious.

[table]

If the guy does have to have surgery why was he out there for the finals?  Who cleared him?  The kids a sophmore he has 2 more shots at a title it may look worse on the coaches if he does have surgery.  I have no real problem with the situation if he was hurt and doesn't wrestle in the finals.  My problem comes from the fact that he was either to hurt to wrestle or not hurt enough to take the free ride to the finals.  It can not be both ways.  If our going to put the kids health on the line do it for both matches.  It was a classless act by the coaches.  They knew there would be boos if he continued to wrestle in the tournement, so quit blaiming hte fans.  You get respect when you deserve it.[/table]

Duck, did you even wrestle? Your comments on this site make me wonder. If you did, did you put in the time to be any good? Did you make it out of the sectional? When you put in the extra work to be as good as Willis is, it is nearly impossible to not give it your best shot at the title, 2 years left or not. You were not on the mat to hear the conversation between the trainers, the coaches, the officials, and the wrestler.  Maybe the trainer suggested he not wrestle, see how it feels in an hour and re evaluate. That would make sense wouldn't it? In high school, my sophomore year I separated my shoulder, wrestled anyway (5th), junior year broken wrist, (runner up), had surgery 3 days later, senior yr. I snapped a tendon in my ankle in the semi state finals (ranked #1 at the time), tried to wrestle anyway. It may not be the smartest thing, but when you give everything you have to get there and you are that close to your dream, you can't just walk away. Willis should not be boo'd, he obvioulsy worked way to hard to ever deserve that. I saw Willis several times over the course of the year, he gets my respect! You say he took a free ride to the finals? He won just as many matches to get there as everyone else!

If the guy does have to have surgery why was he out there for the finals?  Who cleared him?  The kids a sophmore he has 2 more shots at a title it may look worse on the coaches if he does have surgery.  I have no real problem with the situation if he was hurt and doesn't wrestle in the finals.  My problem comes from the fact that he was either to hurt to wrestle or not hurt enough to take the free ride to the finals.  It can not be both ways.  If our going to put the kids health on the line do it for both matches.  It was a classless act by the coaches.  They knew there would be boos if he continued to wrestle in the tournement, so quit blaiming hte fans.  You get respect when you deserve it.

This explains why you get no respect on the board! You are one of the most closed-minded individuals I have ever encountered.  I hope you attend church on Sundays..

I agree, who is this guy( it sounds like a cowards screen name) go figure duck and run ::)

I think this clown showed up with that name a few weeks ago claiming that Duckworth cut to 171 to run  from Atwood.  Hence the name duck n run.

There is absolutely no point in arguing whether or not Willis was actually hurt or if he or his coaches blew it out of proportion in order to receive the easier way into the finals, because he is the only one who knows the absolute truth and it is pointless to argue either side. However it is very hard to believe that that caliber of athlete would stoop low enough to take the easy road, and fake an injury.  I doubt after that many years of training for that moment he sudden;y became weak and broke beneath the pressure. Also I highly doubt that that type of competitor would even cherish a win that was not hard a fought victory.  It is very unfortunate for the other wrestler to have lost because of that, I hope that we all agree that it would have been better entertainment and better for the sport of wrestling as a whole if the two would have been able to finish the match because it would have been a good one, that is of course if Willis would have been able to wrestle but he obviously was not.

Also I think that many people aren't even considering the many hours that he had off between matches in order to try and get himself ready for the finals. Who knows what sort of rehab he did during his off time. He has obviously worked extremely hard for this chance, and I doubt that he would have let any amount of pain from stopping him from competing in the state finals.

I think DNR brings up some good points.  All athletes will want to continue, but it is our job as coaches to always keep the best interest of the athlete in our sights.  If he has an injury that "may" require surgery, then was it really smart for the coaches to allow him to wrestle.  Like I said, ALL athletes will want to continue no matter the pain, but it is our coaches job to keep the straight head and make the tough decisions for the young student athlete.  If we find out that this is a career ending injury after surgery, I am sure most people would be singing a different tune about the coach allowing him to wrestle in the finals.  Especially if the finals actually aggrevated the injury to the point of surgery.

I wish Tyler the best and hope he has a full recovery and will be back on the mat at 100% soon,

Thanks for actually reading my post AJ.  People on this board get mad at me because of how I say stuff not what I say.  I do think I made a logical post on this subject.  I have never once attacked Willis personally.  I have stated numerous times that the coaches made the wrong decision. 

Past statements by DNR

McCray will be the best wrestler McMurray has wrestled and it will be a good match.(I thought he would win)

Result:  McCray was the second best wrestler in this wieght class and gave him the best match from anyone from Indiana.

DNR statement:  Duckworth did not run far enough to get a title.

Result:  Duckworth gets beat by stein.

DNR statement:  Willis should not have wrestled in the finals.

Result:  Now there is talk about Willis having to have surgery.  They put the kid in harms way.

DNR statement:  IF Fort Wayne brings there top 135's  they best in the state.

Result:  THis one kinda shocked me because Hiestand did not place, but both Faurote and Hiestand took Norton to OT at semi state.  We still had two placers and a champion.

I have a track record of being right.  If you don;t like the facts then bash me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.