South Adams HWT Jim West

starsaw

We have not had any success with anyone involving our situation with Jim West.  If you did not see the instance let us fill you in.  In the consolation round Jim was wrestling Dylan McBride of Crawfordsville, and was called for a flagrant misconduct.

Flagrant Misconduct: any physical or non-physical act occurring before, during or after a match that the referee considers to be serious enough to disqualify a contestant from a match or tournament.

We can assure you there was no malicious intent involved.  Both men were pummeling and working for head position.  There was no stop in the action to give a warning; there was no rearing back of the head with intent to harm the other wrestler.  After the call, the other young man was very confused, and could not believe what the referee had called. He stated to me, that Jim did not do anything wrong and he wanted to continue wrestling.

We all have coached kids with dreams.  Jim West goal for his high school career was to stand on the podium at the state finals.  From the time that he stepped foot on the mat his freshmen year, he told me that he wanted to earn a medal at the state finals.  He had earned that medal, and then it was stripped from him by a referee who made a very irresponsible call.  The referee in question is number 11 in your State Finals Program.

We are writing you in desperate need of help.  I know that there is no way to go back and wrestle this match, but I think the least that the IHSAA can do is to give Jim the 8th place medal.

We have not talked to a single person that has not agreed with us on this.  Please let me know of any advice or help that you could provide.  Jim West is a top notch kid, he was even more composed then the remaining folks in the entire Conseco Fieldhouse, and walked over to the Crawfordsville Staff and shook hands.

Thank You, South Adams Coaching Staff

Please review the video clip: http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/306619

This situation just seems awful, and hopefully someone in the IHSAA will step up and do the responsible thing and give West the medal that he earned. We all know that the IHSAA is capable of attempting to corrects errors (Jay Co. regional wrestlers being put into pigtail matches at semi-state), so I can only hope they do the same in this case.

BTW, I got a message on flowrestling that the video was private and I was unable to view it -- you may want to check into that.

We have not had any success with anyone involving our situation with Jim West.  If you did not see the instance let us fill you in.  In the consolation round Jim was wrestling Dylan McBride of Crawfordsville, and was called for a flagrant misconduct.

Flagrant Misconduct: any physical or non-physical act occurring before, during or after a match that the referee considers to be serious enough to disqualify a contestant from a match or tournament.

We can assure you there was no malicious intent involved.  Both men were pummeling and working for head position.  There was no stop in the action to give a warning; there was no rearing back of the head with intent to harm the other wrestler.  After the call, the other young man was very confused, and could not believe what the referee had called. He stated to me, that Jim did not do anything wrong and he wanted to continue wrestling.

We all have coached kids with dreams.  Jim West goal for his high school career was to stand on the podium at the state finals.  From the time that he stepped foot on the mat his freshmen year, he told me that he wanted to earn a medal at the state finals.  He had earned that medal, and then it was stripped from him by a referee who made a very irresponsible call. 

We are writing you in desperate need of help.  I know that there is no way to go back and wrestle this match, but I think the least that the IHSAA can do is to give Jim the 8th place medal.

We have not talked to a single person that has not agreed with us on this.  Please let me know of any advice or help that you could provide.  Jim West is a top notch kid, he was even more composed then the remaining folks in the entire Conseco Fieldhouse, and walked over to the Crawfordsville Staff and shook hands.

Thank You, South Adams Coaching Staff

Please review the video clip: http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/306619

You won't find anything but support from people on this board.  Everyone I have talked to believes it was a bogus call and was completely irresponsible.  Good luck with your "battle" with the IHSAA.

My biggest question is..........

What did they do with his medal?

Did someone just throw it away? Is some IHSAA official leaving it on his desk as a memento? Did they give it to the referee who took it from him?

I just can't understand why you wouldn't give the kid the medal, what else are they going to do with it?

What i think is interesting is all that he did was lead in with his head and they made contact, any other time i have seen a flagrent headbutt the wrestler has had his head first go back and then forward to an opponent thus making it a true "headbutt" very dissapopinted to see his carrer end like this.

I think Jim got hosed no doubt...but wasn't there a stoppage in the match for heads colliding earlier? Now the ref should have given a warning  if he thought this was a problem. Instead he tosses a kid and along with him his dreams of standing on the podium!

Guys I have to be honest, after watching and competing in the sprot of wrestling for almost 30 years, I had to watch this video 4 times and am still in awe of how horrible this call is.

There was no aggressive intent to do anything in this video.

The young man was robbed...

That has to be a joke. How in the hell could that ref have called that? What is his name, I would like to file a formal complaint with the IHSAA. That ref should have his licensed revoked at the very least, and should also write an apology to Jim.

As I was unable to attend, I was listening to the match on the radio. The two people doing the broadcast were former Bellmont coach A.J. Kalver and former Bellmont wrestler and former high school wrestling official Rex Brewer. When the call was made they were both also very confused, as was Jim West, his coaches, the Crawfordsville coaches and their wrestler. I personally think that it was a very bad call. As far as I can tell, from everything I have heard and everything I have read, the official was the only one that saw it that way. Does anyone know what the "extra" official's opinion was? Jim West is a very fine young man (as most wrestlers are), he did not deserve to have his dreams ripped away from him in this way. I hope that the official in question has had second thoughts about this and has trouble sleeping at night. Jimmy deserves his medal. At the very least he deserves an apology.

The referee doesn't care at all. South Adams AD talked to the number 11 official and he told the AD that he stands by his decision and refuses to see the video to see how wrong he is. The IHSAA has said that they will stand behind their officials and will not review the tape. I don't know what else can be done except take them to court. The IHSAA is supposed to be for the student-athletes but in reality they just care about themselves and how much money they can make in as little time as possible.

By far the most frustrating thing i have heard is the officials ignorance pertaining to the matter!! Obviously he has forgot that he is there FOR THE ATHLETES!! Take your pride out of it  Official #11 your ignorance will not go unnoticed...i will be surprised to see you officiate another state finals.

I agree with everyone.  Saw it live and reviewed the tape.  Still don't see what the ref saw.  No one does.  Disappointing that the ref and IHSAA will not review the tape.  Why doesn't someone set up a link for everyone to send an email to the IHSAA.  We all need to remind them that they are there for the athletes and this should be reviewed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.