Janney/Travis Match

ontherise219

Being from the region I know this is going to sound like I'm complaining but really not. I watched this match amazed that stalling had been call pretty well all weekend and not even a warning in this match even though the Yorktown Coaches were saying block out for the final minute of the Match. Also what would be the diffrance between Janney working the lines and Travis fleeing the mat I feel like this took a state title from a kid. I know the Ref is a good ref and he was the offical of the year like 2 years ago. I also am not supporting Travis actions after the mat I know that he was upset but sportsmanship is alway first

My opinion is if the  correct out of bounds call were made, the fleeing call would have never taken place. The M'ville kid had one foot in the air and was hopping with the other foot out of bounds while the Yorktown kid had his foot on the line more than once. The line is out of bounds last I checked and each wrestler had 1 foot out. If the out of bounds call is correctly made, the fleeing call doesn't get made and the wrestlers get to decide the match.

I think that sums it up pretty good.

I guess I saw it differently. (Maybe I was swayed by the idiot behind me, but......)

Although there was no takedown, Janney did have he best shot which he was unable to finish because Travis dove out of bounds (and was rightfully penalized). I have always said that the guy with the takedown has earned the right to do a little blocking at the end of the match.

I think it was a great match and both guys were active enough that stalling calls weren't needed to decide it.

WELL this match was better than alot of the other ones,,,, 112,,,130,,,215,,,,that's where the stalling was. Janney did just enough, this is coming from a HWY, Travis was fustrated, and i didn't see his offense as much as his previous matches, so he can blame his conservativeness on his loss to Janney.

I was suprised that Travis was not more agressive, but I wasn't wrestling so maybe he was not able to be against Janney. I think that was more than likely the way it was. I think the dive out of bounds was fleeing, but I can not site word for word the rules. This match had more action than  some of the lower weight matches and alot of people say the HWT matches are boring. I dont think this match was at all.

As stated earlier, the dive out of bounds wouldn't have happened had the out of bounds been called correctly/immediatly. With M'ville having one foot in the air and hopping on the other foot out of bounds, the match shouldve been stopped as soon as Yorktown stepped on the line which is out of bounds. If this had happened Mville wouldn't have took the dive out of bounds. I'm not saying it wouldve been a different outcome, but at least the wrestlers would have decided the match themselves.

I was watching the HWT match on TV last night with NW and Mich.  It's amazing how much out of bounds wrestling they do compared to high school matches.  At one point both men were out of bounds, but no call was made until it was obvious they were not returning.  High school calls are somewhat judgemental.  Some are very conservative, while others are a little more lenient.  But the rules are definitely more conservative than collegiate.  If we go in the direction of collegiate rules, we will need bigger mats! LOL

It is dificult to get consistancy with judgement calls. It's also different if you are in the stands or on the mat (not knocking fans knowledge, it just is a different angle). Most officials will call the line tighter if there is no action (which the N.F. added this option to officials in the rule book this year), but if there is a scoring opportunity they will let it go a little longer. Give the more aggressive wrestler a chance. High school mats are not big enough to call it like college.

The fleeing call with the HWT match was obvious (in my opinion). The Merr. wrestler's first turn to the line was not fleeing but a natural defense to the single, but when the Ytown wrestler pulled him back in and the Merr. wrestler turned again, he had other options and did not choose any of them. That is fleeing.

Randal Hayes

Official

It is dificult to get consistancy with judgement calls. It's also different if you are in the stands or on the mat (not knocking fans knowledge, it just is a different angle). Most officials will call the line tighter if there is no action (which the N.F. added this option to officials in the rule book this year), but if there is a scoring opportunity they will let it go a little longer. Give the more aggressive wrestler a chance. High school mats are not big enough to call it like college.

The fleeing call with the HWT match was obvious (in my opinion). The Merr. wrestler's first turn to the line was not fleeing but a natural defense to the single, but when the Ytown wrestler pulled him back in and the Merr. wrestler turned again, he had other options and did not choose any of them. That is fleeing.

Randal Hayes

Official

That is a very interesting point on the topic.  I have this conversation with my dad, who is the referee.  It is a judgement call and my argument at times is that one of his options is to turn and kick away from this.  When defending this in the center of the mat, there is obviously no penalty.  If you were to apply  the logic that he is avoiding wrestling when it is near the edge of the mat, then when it is done in the center, why not hit him for stalling, because it would appear that he is avoiding wrestling?

It is hard for the judgement calls to be consistent when we have different refs doing the judgeing. Nothing we can do about it.  I saw a wrestler do a stand up and ran away form his opponent to get his escape, he took 4 steps then turned to wrestle. He got  a fleeing call even though he was still on the mat, by about 3 feet. I guess each person, including refas have a different perspective that we cant change.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.