Lafayette, IN wrestling fans - read this

WingMan

Lafayette Indian wrestling fans, are you sick of the lack of local wrestling coverage?  Are you sick of hearing only about Purdue sports, Basketball and/or Jr. Hi basketball before you read about wrestlng?  I am taking a stand against the Lafayette Journal & Courier by no longer buying their paper.  I ask you to join me and not purchase their paper until they do a better job.  Indiana is no longer a "Basketball"  only state.  There are other athletes out their getting the job done and most (wrestling, swimming, volleyball...even poms) are superior athletes in comparison to seasonal basketball players (note I did not say athletes).

yip i dont buy it anymore, i read it online, too bad they used that picture of Braden that they did,,, and to think that he is gong to "their" school and they do that to him,,  really i was surprised they had as much in the paper as they did. they never change, when i was in school, looong ago, haha,,, we would call in to give them scores and they would say "sorry we arent putting wrestling scores in tonite" happened all the time,,,,,,, unfortunately we dont live in IOWA,,,,

So, the response has been great but more is needed.  Please go to the following website www.jconline.com and register to make comments on their sports blog (takes only minutes) and post your comments regarding their coverage of wrestling and the disrespectful picture they posted.  Yeah, I am asking a lot they need to know of our dis-satisfaction with them.  I know for a fact that Mr. Baird was there...someone at the paper made a decision/choice to depict Braden in this light and it is just wrong.  The ultimate slam to the J&C would be for Johnson-Jones to contact them directly and post his comments as I know he is stand-out kid and a friend of Atwood's.  He won fair and square, but I am sure he would not support this kind of publicity on Braden.    If they can't cover wrestling in a light that is encouraging, fair and honorable, then their reporters should stay home on the couch.  Yes, Mr. Baird was out of line, so let's make some noise!  Look for another post from me trying to locate Mr. Johnson-Jones and asking him to support this quest.

were they supposed to post a picture of him on top of the Mville Semi-state podium? honestly IMO i was disappointed with Mishawaka's outcome at state but if the South Bend Tribune were to report just the good news what good does that do? A kid had a fantastic season - True. A kid lost in the championship - True. if you want wrestling covered you have to take the good with the bad. honestly i dont get what you are all making a huge fuss over. Atwood had a fantastic year/career, MJJ just finished this year off the way Atwood wanted to. That is the news and that is what was published. boo me all you'd like but its the truth.

were they supposed to post a picture of him on top of the Mville Semi-state podium? honestly IMO i was disappointed with Mishawaka's outcome at state but if the South Bend Tribune were to report just the good news what good does that do? A kid had a fantastic season - True. A kid lost in the championship - True. if you want wrestling covered you have to take the good with the bad. honestly i dont get what you are all making a huge fuss over. Atwood had a fantastic year/career, MJJ just finished this year off the way Atwood wanted to. That is the news and that is what was published. boo me all you'd like but its the truth.

That may be but it was still a humiliating picture nonetheless especially if it was his home town news paper . Way to show support for the hometown guy. Good job *note the sarcasm* 

I think the point to make is someone had to be there for that photo and why would they use that particular photo when there were probably many action shots that would depict Braden in a more positive light.

Last year our local paper the Franklin Daily Journal did the exact same thing to Dusty Kief. After the kid had a fantastic season and finished an unexpected runner-up they published a photo of him on his back getting pinned!It was horrible.

I really don't think there are many sports people out there that know anything about wrestling.I know most don't care that's for sure.

I have been in correspondence with Nathon Baird, the sports editor who was responsible for the article and he truly doesn't get it.  A professional sports editor doesn't ride the bandwagon on wrestling that starts rolling at Sectionals and then throw their meal ticket under the bus at state. I  am truly disgusted by Mr. Baird's lack of compassion and his drive to provide a story - no matter what.  I also know that the Journal & Courier has been denied by adverisors due to this article (and I had nothing to do with it).  Not one day has went by for me (work in Lafayette) where someone hasn't commented on this article and their disgust.

It sounds like this happens everywhere.  Why do we put up with it?

Guys,

As I am sure you are well aware it is the same all over the state!

If you're kids are deeply involved in the County Tic-Tac-Toe Meet, they will be all over Page 1.  If they are into the Junior National Oragami Regional Qualifiers - Hey there is Page 1 of the Sports Page AND the Arts and Entertainment Section.

Wrestle and you MAY get a box score just after the Athletes Foot report for the WNBA.

WTF!!!!

who is the sports photo editor, a 13 year old 7th grade boy!?!?!???!!!?

the thing that perplexes me most is that they sent someone down there on a press pass and that is the picture they come up with to use?????

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]i wish i lived in lafayette just so i could quit their paper!!![glow=red,2,300][/glow]

The pic was supplied by an Indianapolis Star photographer.  Now, being fair, it is a great picture and I sent the link to MJJ's coach so he could share it.  However, you just don't throw your local boy under the bus.  How long has it been now and I am still pissed.  Bad judgement, bad reporting and quite frankly I would prefer them to only post the stats moving forward at the J&C if this is how they treat young talent.  OK, think I am over...no, still mad.

The crappy thing about the J & C is that they will cover every basketball game list from best to worst. We wrestling fans are lucky to get a full length atricle for the sectional. Everything in the sports pager is Purdue athletics. Purdue has it own website that is updated frequently. Most of the people they report on aren't even area kids. Yes they put in a few here or there. When it come to High school athletics they could care less about sport outside of Football, Vollyball, Basketball, and Baseball. The Frenzy is the exact same way. Lafayette's coverage is sad, and when they do report outside of those they send uneducated reporters who might have seen the sport once in their life. It is a sad sad depiction of Area athletics.     

Its not like it is going to take up any prime time space because most meets are on tuesday and thursday. Tournaments may be hard for them to do but it is very possible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.