National Anthem

Barrq

i think it takes a lot of guts for a single person to get out there in front of thousands of people and sing..      all eyes on you ..          i think she gave it her all .. sang really well for the most part..          but i think she might have tried to get as loud as she possibly could and her voice wasn't having it..                again ..    lots of guts..          showed character for her to continue .. even after she knew it wasn't going as well as she wanted ..              i can definitely say i wouldnt want to be out there!..        ..    maybe she can come back next year!!!!

Lovely young lady with a passion for singing.

I love the singing of our National Anthem prior to sporting events. It always give me some "perspective". In my mind, I picture scenes from "Saving Private Ryan" or "We Were Soldiers" and I think how blessed I am to live in the United States of America. A country where brave men go in to battle and do not always come back so that I may enjoy freedom. Freedoms like wrestling and raising a family. God Bless America and God Bless our troops.  

Okay well I'll say it since no one else will.. it wasn't the best version of the song that I have heard but she definetly has more guts than me.  I would never sing in front of a crowd of thousands and I am sure she knows it was not her best performance. No need to say much more than that.

I wasn't there for the finals, so I didn't hear the anthem.  However, over the years I have heard the anthem done poorly and extremely well and everywhere in between.  The common part was that every one of them gave me goose bumps. Not some, but all of them.  I'm sure last night would have done the same.  I guess for me it's more about what is being sung, what it represents, and those who are no longer with us to hear it -  rather than how well it is sung.  Then again, I suppose that's just me.

Singing of the National Anthem should be about the song, not the singer.  Having been in the military I learned a lot of US history and respect for the flag, the men and women who allow us to fly it, and Star Spangled Banner.  The best versions (IMHO) are the straight forward, sing it as it was written, versions.  If the singer sings a little off key, is pitchy, varies the pace, doesn;t have a great voice, etc, I don't mind so much.  Especially our young people.  What DOES really irritate me are people who do not stand at attention (or at least stand still), don't hold their hand over their heart (or at least keep them motionless at there sides), or don't show the proper attentiveness and respect during the 3 minutes or so of our National Anthem.  The coaches need to school their wrestlers on proper respect (and someone should have stopped the wrestler who felt is bouncing around was more important than the singing and paying respects to the flag and country).  I'm not much for showboating the singing of the National Anthem.

And one more small thing to you singers out there....... Get ALL of the words right!

Oh, almost forgot.  Keep the spiked heels on the hardwoord, not on the wrestling mat!  I was almost expecting to see littles holes in the mat after she walked off.

One of the most difficult songs in the world to sing.  Then add to it the pressure of the moment - flag presentation, spot light, thousands of people......wow - I thought she did a nice job of recovering after her voice obvisiously wasn't hitting the notes as she planned. 

I would like to see the young lady from Evansville North sing it at Conseco sometime.  She is the best I have ever heard at that age (or maybe any age)

I do prefer the live vocal version versus the taped instrumental played at most highschool events.  Either way, it's my favorite song!

Singing of the National Anthem should be about the song, not the singer.  Having been in the military I learned a lot of US history and respect for the flag, the men and women who allow us to fly it, and Star Spangled Banner.  The best versions (IMHO) are the straight forward, sing it as it was written, versions.  If the singer sings a little off key, is pitchy, varies the pace, doesn;t have a great voice, etc, I don't mind so much.  Especially our young people.  What DOES really irritate me are people who do not stand at attention (or at least stand still), don't hold their hand over their heart (or at least keep them motionless at there sides), or don't show the proper attentiveness and respect during the 3 minutes or so of our National Anthem.  The coaches need to school their wrestlers on proper respect (and someone should have stopped the wrestler who felt is bouncing around was more important than the singing and paying respects to the flag and country).  I'm not much for showboating the singing of the National Anthem.

And one more small thing to you singers out there....... Get ALL of the words right!

Oh, almost forgot.  Keep the spiked heels on the hardwoord, not on the wrestling mat!  I was almost expecting to see littles holes in the mat after she walked off.

While I almost always follow the same stance as you are describing during national anthems, I think it is important to note that several religions shy away from the national anthem in this way. I think it's important for everyone to show respect in whatever way they see fit.

I do agree that wrestlers should not jump around during the anthem.

One of the most difficult songs in the world to sing.  Then add to it the pressure of the moment - flag presentation, spot light, thousands of people......wow - I thought she did a nice job of recovering after her voice obvisiously wasn't hitting the notes as she planned.   

I would like to see the young lady from Evansville North sing it at Conseco sometime.  She is the best I have ever heard at that age (or maybe any age)

I do prefer the live vocal version versus the taped instrumental played at most highschool events.  Either way, it's my favorite song!

I agree....the young lady who sang it at the E'ville semistate sent chills up my spine.

Every year there is a post about which song gets you pumped up or ready to go or something like that.  Well the song that does it for me is none other than the National Anthem.  It always sends the chills all over and I can feel the hairs on my neck and arms stand up.  It works during wrestling meets, every racing event I attend, and just about every time I hear it.  It is a song that I have heard numerous times while getting ready to wrestle and I do not think it will ever quit giving me goose bumps. 

I wasn't there for the finals, so I didn't hear the anthem.  However, over the years I have heard the anthem done poorly and extremely well and everywhere in between.  The common part was that every one of them gave me goose bumps. Not some, but all of them.   I'm sure last night would have done the same.  I guess for me it's more about what is being sung, what it represents, and those who are no longer with us to hear it -  rather than how well it is sung.  Then again, I suppose that's just me.

I suppose that even includes Roseanne Barr's version?  You have to admit she was horrible, especially with the disregard (and even disrespect) she displayed during and after.

I like to think of the many images and symbols of our great land as well as the individuals that I personally know who have made the commitment to fight for the honor of our beloved country.  It is a great time to pause, relax, and reaffirm one's beliefs in our great nation.  And, yes, the traditional ones are definitely the best!

I don't feel bad for her getting up in front of all those people at all, because that's exactly the kind of attention and spot light she signed up for.  That's what aspiring singers and performers live for.  Having said that, I would much rather hear a kid like that try her best and make a few mistakes,  than listen to some prerecorded version.    I even give the tourney worker on Friday credit for gettin the job done for us.

There should clearly be a regional/semistate competition for national anthem singers, with the winner advancing to Conseco.  I'm sure Rankings Guy could incorporate that into his rankings.

I thought the young lady did as good a job as possible.  She sounded a bit nervous, but I think her voice or vocal chords or whatever just sort of started giving out on her on the really high notes.  I bet on another night she would hit those notes perfectly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.