160 finals

iowawrestlingfan

i dont think people were booing the kid it was cathedral as a whole they never wrestle in the center they all stay close to the line and thier coach is joke I belive it was the coach that told him to stay down not doc because duck was told by doc not to go back out and still did so bring that bs to the table people are just tried of seeing that bald head loud mouth always getting his way

They bood at the time of the incident, they bood when he was introduced for the finals, they bood when he went out to the mat for the finals, they bood when he was getting an award for placing higher then over 300 other kids in his weight class. They were booing the kid, if they just wanted to boo cathederal once would have been more then enough, it was a pathetic display and the wrestling community was done a great diservice tonight by such a horrible display of sportsmanship. And no, I do not have any ties to Cathederal, I have ties to Warren Central, and have as much a reason to not like the Irish as anyone around, yet I would never take out any dislike I have for them on a high school kid. There is no defense for this. It was reprehensible for so called adults to act in this manner. This boy may never again reach this level in the tournament, and this is the image that he will be left with.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not witness to the match so can not commment on what happened.  However, I didn see Vlahos go ahead and wrestle for 3rd/4th.  I know I saw him on the awards stand later.  Was it an injury timeout that went over and he was DQed for the illegal move but it was not a flagrant DQ that eliminated him from the event?  I didn't get to hear much info on it so I'm just trying to distinguish that DQ from the South Adams flagrant DQ (refs call at least) which pulled that kid from the medal stand.

yeah i agree i do not think that vlahos handled himself well at all. i had a good view of the move being thrown. and willis was clearly in pain, groining aching (btw thats a HUGE kid so had to hurt) and vlahos continued to torque the throw. i think that was really cheap. willis seemed disappointed in the outcome and tried to be cool and show his sympathy but vlahos still acted out and yeah when the crowd booed him on the podium vlahos face lit wide up. not cool. willis could have just took runner-up but he went out there aware that he is not at his best and would have to be to beat mcmurray. so congrats to willis!!!! great kid. good luck the next two years.

I think Vlahos Handled himself well enough. He could have very easily gone irrate and got kicked out of the tournament. He stayed on the mat and waited granted he was aggitated but wouldn't you be. Also the move Vlahos was running from my vantage point was not in fact intended to be illegal(if it was), they teach it[the move] at a lot of clinics. it was a two on one pushing in to the chest with the wrist and requires good back arch. He has hit the move several times throughout the season, the tournament, and he hit it on our kid during the season. A key lock is more about protecting the wrist so it doesnt break. Since the injury was in the shoulder it leads me to believe willis' reaction to the move caused more pressure than intended. The Bottom Line it was Unintentional. I saw a heavy weight match today where Mcbride took a headbutt(Howe Match not the West Match) and recieved no points for it. Headbutts are illegal but it was unintential so the ref let it slide. Now here is the question I present "is it only illegal if he kid doesnt get up." I also noticed that the initial call on the mat of the valhos match was potentially dangerous, but when willis didnt get up he was given a point. This happens a lot and we need to resolve this inconsistancy. Wrestling and reacting cause bad situations it wasnt a slam and he wasnt out to break rules and hurt willis so Vlahos' loss to me seems unjustified. I dont think willis threw the match but it didnt look like there was much of an attempt to shake it off maybe if he got up tried to seee what he could or couldnt do reaction toward the kid would have been as bad. He didn't even coume to his feet till his injury time was out My belief is that the trainers had something to do with that but the perception was that the kid had no plans to return via body language.

yeah by the look on his face he thought vlahos was pulling his arm from his socket and gonna take it home with him. he looked in great agony and obviously nothin would heal in 2 mins break. gotta remember he had like hahaha 6 or 7 hours til his finals match for rest and icing and all that stuff

Congrats to my brother Sean he didn't go after that arm a lot trying not to injure him more I'm proud of him for that and winning his third state title without giving up a takedown granite Willis was injured but still got in deep a couple of times. Good season by mccray he really opened my eyes he had technique with his strength. I would also like to congrate valhoes and reese for impressive showings at thirty first state tourney ill be watching closely on reese and Willis on their quest for their state titles good luck fellas and good luck Willis next week hope you can wrestle!

Congrats to my brother Sean he didn't go after that arm a lot trying not to injure him more I'm proud of him for that and winning his third state title without giving up a takedown granite Willis was injured but still got in deep a couple of times. Good season by mccray he really opened my eyes he had technique with his strength. I would also like to congrate valhoes and reese for impressive showings at thirty first state tourney ill be watching closely on reese and Willis on their quest for their state titles good luck fellas and good luck Willis next week hope you can wrestle!

I was waiting for him to attack that arm but he didnt, shows he is a true champion

First off, I don't know Tyler all that well. All I know is that my husband and his friends/family, continually say that Tyler is the best kid. Keep in mind, he is FIFTEEN years old. After he got hurt, the doctor told him he couldn't continue, even though he kept saying he didn't want to win this way. The doctor told him it wasn't his choice anymore.

Fast forward to the booing in the introductions. What has this come to? Booing a 15 year old for a DOCTOR'S decison? Seriously? Then, after his loss, not only did he get boo'd on the podium, but Vlahos was up there running his mouth, telling Tlyer he is not a man for what happened. I can tell you that it was not his decision, he wanted to wrestle, but the doctor wouldn't let him wrestle. Tyler, in my opinion, is a great kid, if not for anything but being able to stand up there and take the boo's and still act like he had some class, which none of the people who boo'd did.

In conclusion, I'll add when I was in high school, I was never a Cathedral fan, but if one of their guys EVER got hurt, you would have NEVER seen me boo. That is so disrespectful. So, congrats Tyler, congrats even more to McMurray (and props to you for showing class, as you always do on here)....and congrats to Tylers family, including his little sister, who sat through the boo'ing and still supported their son who they knew was in the place he should have been. We will always be behind you Tyler.

Guest Super Nova

I have no dog in this fight...

But for the "grown" woman and group she was with that was sitting around section 112.  I hope karma comes around and bites you in the a$$ for yelling during the match to "Break his Shoulder",  and "Run a power half till it snaps".

This is a 15 year old kid... jesus some of you people are idiots!!!  Blame his coaches, blame the doctor, blame the ref, Blame the people in charge.  They are all adults and can handle this... But dont blame and threaten a 15 year old kid...

I fell sorry for both wreslters involved (it ended a seniors dream and ruined what should have been a sophomores hight of glory)... It is very unfortunate that this happened in what would have been a great match..

Unfortunate for both boys....both deserve better.  The move was NOT called illegal...it was the referee's JUDGEMENT that Vlahos did not discontinue the move soon enough after the whistle...he was penalized for being an aggressive wrestler....it happens, both kids payed for it.  

As far as the decision to lay down and take the win....there's a lot more to it, but at this point that doesn't matter.  We all know Tyler's wanted to wrestle. That's all we really need to know.  160 lived up to the hype, in my opinion...win or lose, that was some exciting wrestling!!!!

And no worries about the missed opportunity for another McMurray vs Vlahos matchup...both will be Big Ten wrestlers for the next few years!  And you never know....Willis might be right in there with them in the future!!!

Fast forward to the booing in the introductions. What has this come to? Booing a 15 year old for a DOCTOR'S decison? Seriously? Then, after his loss, not only did he get boo'd on the podium, but Vlahos was up there running his mouth, telling Tlyer he is not a man for what happened. I can tell you that it was not his decision, he wanted to wrestle, but the doctor wouldn't let him wrestle. Tyler, in my opinion, is a great kid, if not for anything but being able to stand up there and take the boo's and still act like he had some class, which none of the people who boo'd did.

Typical Vlahos.  Hasn't changed a bit

I no nothing about Vlahos but he got flat out hosed.  It was a bunch of bs and he should have been devestated.  That was his last shot at being in the finals and it was taken away by Cathedral.  Fans were booing the situation not the wrestler.  I was not there but I watch on the broadcast and he looked fine in the finals.  I do not see a doctor saying hey kid you can not wrestle the rest of the match, but come back in 3 hours and we will give you the nodd to go at it again.  That makes no sense at all.  From what I have heard he was just chilling on the mat and as soon as the injury time ended he hopped up and got his hand raised like he deserved the win.  Vlahos may not have showed him any respect on the podium, but Willis showed no respect towards him during the match.  I commend the guy for being classy enough not to do anything further.  Congrats to you Mr Vlahos you showed restraint which I do not know if I could have.

I no nothing about Vlahos but he got flat out hosed.  It was a bunch of bs and he should have been devestated.  That was his last shot at being in the finals and it was taken away by Cathedral.  Fans were booing the situation not the wrestler.  I was not there but I watch on the broadcast and he looked fine in the finals.  I do not see a doctor saying hey kid you can not wrestle the rest of the match, but come back in 3 hours and we will give you the nodd to go at it again.  That makes no sense at all.  From what I have heard he was just chilling on the mat and as soon as the injury time ended he hopped up and got his hand raised like he deserved the win.  Vlahos may not have showed him any respect on the podium, but Willis showed no respect towards him during the match.  I commend the guy for being classy enough not to do anything further.  Congrats to you Mr Vlahos you showed restraint which I do not know if I could have.

I was there and I can guarantee he wasn't chilling on the mat.  The only reason he got up was because the injury time was over and they were forced to make a decision.  You don't get all day to lay there.  That is why they have injury time.  You could tell he was in serious pain.  Vlahos ran an ILLEGAL move and got DQ'ed.  I don't feel bad for the way things played out.  It doesn't matter if he didn't intend to hurt him, it only matters that he did.  I didn't stay for the finals but if Vlahos really did run his mouth during the podium ceremony, he needs to grow up.  He wasn't going to beat McMurray anyway. 

Maybe the Harrison child will be able to apologize next week in person for his actions on the podium.  He lost a huge match and opportunity, and like any child he probably lashed out at Willis the first chance he got.  Most children react this way, but hopefully somebody is in his ear and he does the right thing next week at Team State.

From what I have heard he was just chilling on the mat and as soon as the injury time ended he hopped up and got his hand raised like he deserved the win.  Vlahos may not have showed him any respect on the podium, but Willis showed no respect towards him during the match. 

You are a complete nice fella bag.  I hated to see the match end up the way it did, but whoever gave you this information is almost as dumb as you are.  He stayed down on the mat well after the time was up, and when he did get up he sure didn't hop.  I saw him later in the day and didn't even have his arm into his shirt sleeve.  The kid was hurt, and I can't imagine how it feels to have the majority of a crowd of thousands boo you at every turn, expecially if I was only 15-16 years old.

Do yourself and everyone else a favor and just leave the wrestling community.  You have no clue what you are talking about.

Maybe the Harrison child will be able to apologize next week in person for his actions on the podium.  He lost a huge match and opportunity, and like any child he probably lashed out at Willis the first chance he got.  Most children react this way, but hopefully somebody is in his ear and he does the right thing next week at Team State.

I'll be honest, he's not a child.  He's a senior in high school and 18 or close to turning 18.  He's no longer a child.  He's a man and anyone this age needs to start acting like it. 

I would like to say congrats to Sean for not taking advantage of an obviously injured opponent.  Wish you success at the next level.  I am pretty sure that you have wrestled McCray, Vlahos and Willis - which one gave you your best match this season.  Yesterday I was ashamed to be a part of a wrestling community that continually booed a fifteen year old kid.  He did not deserve that and to the adults that displayed such behavior, you need to think about the example that you are setting for your children.  For those of you who claim to be just booing Cathedral and/or their coach - do you honestly think that Tyler knew that and it is still inexcusable.  All of the young men who wrestled yesterday deserve much more than that.  For some kids yesterday was the end of their high school wrestling career and they are not going on to wrestle at the next level so good luck to all of you as well.  There is life after wrestling, well not really but I hope you will forget the lack of class shown yesterday ad take with you the positive things you learned along the way. 

He responded to those a-holes because they were making comments saying Willis took a fall.  Anyone who thinks that he would do something like that has no place being around this sport. Willis wanted to finish the match anyone who was watching the match would know that.  Who cares if you hate a school or a coach you don't boo a kid who is out there working his butt of to do the best he can.  And he did a hell of a Job against a stud.  I think the match would have been much closer had he not been at 50%.  But, you will not hear Willis say that because he has to much class.  He will just say I got beat and I will work harder to get better.  That is the type of kid he is!  And anyone who said Vlahos composed himself is the biggest idiot in the state.  That is like rewarding a 2 year of for throwing a fit and saying well it could have been worse.  Someone, maybe his coach or family members need to teach him how to control himself.  The disrespect he showed last night for me was an enough that in my mind that kid was not worthy to even be on a wrestling mat.  Congrats to the 160 lbs wrestler s who gave it their all in a very tough weight class you all (with one exception VLAHOS) deserve a round of applause.  And it takes a true champ to go out against a 2 time state champ (3 time now) knowing your nowhere near 100%, but to go out anyway and try your best deserves cheers!!!!  Not boos. 

"I dont see how you cant wrestle a match, and then you go out later and wrestle..i mean its not like anything is going to change in that short amount of time.  It might not have mattered anyway, but i know i would not have to live with that"

Well since you must be the only person to have never sustained an injury while wrestling, of course you don't understand.  Just because Tyler was able to wrestle later in the day does not mean he had full use of the arm and shoulder.  He was not wearing the brace to make a fashion statement.  Perhaps you and duck and run can get together and trash talk some more kids on this boards or maybe you could get a life

Willis is a young sophomore (still 15).  He has a reputation for being humble, courteous, and respectful.  He honors the sport of wrestling by choosing to participate in it outside of his football season. 

I know enough about Tyler Willis to know that, if the tables had been turned, and ?

--if Willis had continued a potentially dangerous move well beyond the referee?s whistle, and

--if, by doing so, Willis had caused another wrestler to suffer a significant physical injury the day that wrestler was expected to compete for the state championship, and

--if his injured opponent had been told by the IHSAA doctor that he had a dislocated shoulder and must not continue the match,

then ?

Tyler Willis would have gracefully lost as his opponent?s hand had been raised.  He would have been disappointed, and you would have seen it on his face, but he would have been a model of composure for the young wrestlers in the stands.  He would not have run out of the arena in a childish fit.  He would not have taunted the injured wrestler as they walked to the podium.  He would have been very concerned, and sorry, about any unintentional physical injury he had caused to a fellow wrestling comrade on such an important day.

What scares me, really scares me, is that I?m reading so much hatred and divisiveness that I am afraid that, if the situation had truly been reversed, and it was Willis who had caused injury to Vlahos, and Willis had been determined the loser, Willis still would have been booed. 

Cathedral is a school made up of human beings who are no different from the rest of us. The reasons some parents choose a parochial school are many, complex, and private. 

Saturday night at Conseco, I witnessed Willis?s family bringing an elderly, wheelchair-bound man to the evening round.  I presumed it was his grandfather.  My heart aches for this elderly man, who witnessed cruel, unjust outbursts against his grandson.  It is some consolation that the grandfather also saw his grandson?s maturity and composure, and must know in his heart that the most important life lessons have been passed on and will endure.

Unfortunately for Tyler, you were in the minority at Conseco on Saturday.  Ignorance will continue to breed ignorance and I can only hope that people will learn from their displaced hatred towards a "boy", he is only 15, and a school they know nothing about.  Tyler will come away from this a better person, although somewhat broken by the misguided hatred that was bestowed upon him by a malicious crowd.  It is no wonder that people look at wrestling and think it is a brutal, vicious sport. 

I just remembered that Willis starts at Safety for the Cathedral football team as a sophomore.

for those of you who dont know about Cathedral high school football, they are the Mishawaka/old Mater Dei, for wrestling

They play the toughest schedule for football in the state of Indiana.  They play nationally ranked cincy X. every year and by going off this information im sure Willis wanted to wrestle Vlahos and didnt fake anything.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.