160 finals

iowawrestlingfan

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man i feel for Cameron Vlahos..it would be neat in the finals if they could give him a standing O or something. He got screwed in my opinion. Refs were a little off today

He ran an illegal move (keylock...look it up it is illegal) and was DQ'd for it.  How was that getting screwed?  He did something illegal, Willis could not continue and therefore he lost.

He ran an illegal move (keylock...look it up it is illegal) and was DQ'd for it.  How was that getting screwed?  He did something illegal, Willis could not continue and therefore he lost.

Right on boomer, wasn't the refs screw up......but hey eaisiest way to duck, pin it on the ref. Either way Mac strolls through unscored on.

I don't think that people are questioning it being legal or illegal, They are questioning Willis being hurt bad enough to not be able to continue the match. It sure didn't look that bad to me! I sure hope that he can come out tonight and wrestle without  any problems from his horrible injury.

You are all so quick to judge.  If it were your son, wrestler or teammate, then maybe you would have a different view.  Pretty sure that no wrestler is going to fake an injury to move on and the move that Vlahos did was illegal according to the officials.  If he had not done something illegal in the first place, this discussion would not be taking place.

accidental illegal moves have happened in just about every tournament I've ever been to.  However, I can count on one hand how many times the person was unable to continue.   If he's truly injured then I guess thousands of people will owe him an apology for the boos this afternoon.

Looks like Willis has a seperated shoulder. Gametime decision if he goes. Not looking good. Hurts big time next weekend too. Tyler is no quitter. He wouldn't shut it down for a cheap victory. Trust me. He has been frothing at the mouth for a rematch with McMurray to avenge the 1-0 victory in McMurray's backyard 2 weeks after he lost in the semi-state football game to Reitz.

Sucks balls for Vlahos. I agree. We will never know, but it is unfair to throw Tyler under the bus. He doesn't deserve any criticism. He is about the best kid that has been through our program in 5 years.

You are all so quick to judge.  If it were your son, wrestler or teammate, then maybe you would have a different view.  Pretty sure that o wrestler is going to Fake an injury to move on and the move that Vlahos did was illegal.  If he had not done something illegal in the first place, this discussion would not be taking place.

This sounds like a quote from a cross country runner.  I would rather take a loss then injury default.  If he was seriously injured that is completely fine.  But to say all of us would do the same is BS.  I am glad willis was able to wrestle but he looked fine...if he was told to stay down I guess only he has to live with it.........and Vlahos.

the moderator of this board is biased , i have been banned 3 times for not agreeing with the forum topic . i seen a comment on here yesterday with explicit material on it , and what do you know its still on here and so is the person who posted it . wow . he must be on ur side . you must be from perry . have to be . i bet you were a loser in life and this is your only way of empowerment . to anyone else who reads this and wants to reply negatively to me , go ahead , i wont see it because i will be banned . so to sum it up , kiss my a$$ .

-should have banned me for life

relax, this is a high school message board, its not life or death, its not that serious, you seem to be a little sensitive, just let it go, everything will be ok

I think some people need to show a little class, when things don't go your way there is no reason to boo.  I find it ironic.  People will boo a wrestler when they have done something unsportsmanlike, but isn't that unsportsmanlike of the fans to boo that wrestler?  Willis wanted to continue, but the trainer, or doctor, would not permit it.  You want to encourage our sport and the wrestlers.  Don't bash on them for things that are out of their control.  The point and matter is simple.  Vlahos did an illegal move, he was called on it, and the trainer, or doctor, wouldn't let Willis continue.  It does suck that it had to end like that, but it is out of control to change it.  Hopefully Vlahos can still get into some national tournaments to show some scouts how good he really is.

I think some people need to show a little class, when things don't go your way there is no reason to boo.  I find it ironic.  People will boo a wrestler when they have done something unsportsmanlike, but isn't that unsportsmanlike of the fans to boo that wrestler?  Willis wanted to continue, but the trainer, or doctor, would not permit it.  You want to encourage our sport and the wrestlers.  Don't bash on them for things that are out of their control.  The point and matter is simple.  Vlahos did an illegal move, he was called on it, and the trainer, or doctor, wouldn't let Willis continue.  It does suck that it had to end like that, but it is out of control to change it.  Hopefully Vlahos can still get into some national tournaments to show some scouts how good he really is.

Well said.

It was the IHSAA Doc that told Willis he could not go, and at the time Willis thought he had lost - thus not likely he was tanking.

I found it in very poor taste that he was repeatedly boo'ed, before, during and after the match and again while he was on the podium.

If any good came of it -- It was nice to hear the excessive cheers for McMurray - what a great career

"Sucks balls for Vlahos. I agree. We will never know, but it is unfair to throw Tyler under the bus. He doesn't deserve any criticism. He is about the best kid that has been through our program in 5 years. "

WOW so he is better than wright? or even the other mcginleys ?

I agree.  Congrats to Willis.  Great kid and competitor.  I'm sure he didn't want to be injured by any action.  He was obviously still in pain during his finals match, but he kept going and made it through the entire 6 minutes.   Didn't look to me like he tanked the match.

I was not impressed with Vlahos refusal to shake hands after his loss, and it appeared to me he was taunting Willis while on the award stand and while walking from the award stand toward the other end of the floor.  

Win like a champion and lose like one.

I feel sorry for both wrestlers, yes it is horrible for Vlahos to lose a match this way, And I know that Willis would not want to win a match that way.

None of us know what kind of pain he was in. One thing we should all know is that any kid that reaches that level of the state tourney is a capable wrestler that has serious skills, dedication, and most of all desire. That desire is excactly why the choice to continue or not, cannot, and should not be left up to the kid. I am sure he wanted to continue.

Like the choice or not, agree with the call on the mat or not, but to actually boo the kid is not the way to respond. It was not his choice, it was an adults choice for him to not continue the match. It was a repulsive display by way to many people tonight, and anyone that bood the kid owes him an apology.

One of you who felt it was the right thing to do to boo this kid, please explaine to the board why you think booing a young man is right, because I wil never understand it.

yeah i agree i do not think that vlahos handled himself well at all. i had a good view of the move being thrown. and willis was clearly in pain, groining aching (btw thats a HUGE kid so had to hurt) and vlahos continued to torque the throw. i think that was really cheap. willis seemed disappointed in the outcome and tried to be cool and show his sympathy but vlahos still acted out and yeah when the crowd booed him on the podium vlahos face lit wide up. not cool. willis could have just took runner-up but he went out there aware that he is not at his best and would have to be to beat mcmurray. so congrats to willis!!!! great kid. good luck the next two years.

i dont think people were booing the kid it was cathedral as a whole they never wrestle in the center they all stay close to the line and thier coach is joke I belive it was the coach that told him to stay down not doc because duck was told by doc not to go back out and still did so bring that bs to the table people are just tried of seeing that bald head loud mouth always getting his way

i dont think people were booing the kid it was cathedral as a whole they never wrestle in the center they all stay close to the line and thier coach is joke I belive it was the coach that told him to stay down not doc because duck was told by doc not to go back out and still did so bring that bs to the table people are just tried of seeing that bald head loud mouth always getting his way

For you to be saying something in which you do not know the matter of the situation is immature and disrespectful.  The coach had nothing to do with the call and this I know for sure.  It was the doctor's call.  Also, let's not bash Vlahos either.  Yes, he did an illegal move, but his intentions were not to injure the kid.  Vlahos, I'm sure, is a well-mannered young man.  It was his senior season and he was upset of the situation that occurred.  It was a great job by both wrestlers throughout the tournament.  Congratulations to them and congratulations to everyone who competed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.