Mater Dei

EMD team is very young, 1 senior left on the team by seasons end lost the rest to Injuries. had 2 freshmen wrestling also that were not on the varsity at the first match of the season.  They will be better in the coming years, as the Varsity and Reserve matures (reserve was over 60% freshmen)

It has been an odd year for the fans this year.  It was packed for the Reitz meet, but they just aren't as rowdy as usual.  Then last week at semi state, there was hardley anyone there for MD (compared to what it was 5 yrs ago).  I guess when you are winning it brings more people in to watch.  Although, in the 80's and early 90's before team state I remember the crowd would always follow MD even though they were not bringing home state titles.  Hopefully this will change in the neat future.

It is hard to tell crowd size for anyone because all teams of same school in different sections. Castle has at least two sections going. Also seen Mater Dei has two seperate suites. Schools are not sitting together like in the past.

I just got kind of sad when Mater Dei's first kid shook hands 2 hours into the night and it was a whisper in Conseco. I know EMD dominated this sport for a long while. Eerie MD crowd here. Between EMD and Belmont's absence, this crowd is a whole new world. Let's get it back, boys.

I read this comment on Saturday and just couldn't wrap my head around why there was only a "whisper" in Conseco.  There were plenty of Evansville area people there with all the fans I'm sure Reitz, Castle, Memorial, and Princeton brought (or any of the fans from the Evansville Semi State), surely those fans could have cheered on the EMD boys just as the EMD fans have cheered on all the wrestlers from the Evansville Semi State in the years past?  I couldn't attend this week-end, but I was following as closely as I could on the web and went just as crazy for any wrestler from the Evansville Semi-State (esp. the Evansville wrestlers) as I did the EMD kids.  So, if the Evansville area fans weren't cheering for the EMD kids then shame on them for not showing EMD the same support they've been given in the past.

It was awfully shocking to only see 2 EMD wrestlers there, I guess we've been spoiled in the past years w. 5,6 + wrestlers.  But they are pretty young, I am sure it wont be to long before we see EMD back up again....I do have one question, how long has it been since EMD has NOT competed at the Team State Tournament?

It was awfully shocking to only see 2 EMD wrestlers there, I guess we've been spoiled in the past years w. 5,6 + wrestlers.  But they are pretty young, I am sure it wont be to long before we see EMD back up again....I do have one question, how long has it been since EMD has NOT competed at the Team State Tournament?

EMD did not go last year either - 2nd year in a row for Castle.

MatChick,

I was cheering for you guys!  as was most everyone around me.   I was glad to see Boots make it to the semis  (been drinking the Castle Regional 171 kool-aid all year) and Simms on his way to becoming a 4-time placer is very impressive.

The MD cheers were pretty loud from my vantage point but I was sitting very close to the BOOTS suite  ;)

MatChick,

I was cheering for you guys!  as was most everyone around me.   I was glad to see Boots make it to the semis  (been drinking the Castle Regional 171 kool-aid all year) and Simms on his way to becoming a 4-time placer is very impressive.

The MD cheers were pretty loud from my vantage point but I was sitting very close to the BOOTS suite  ;)

LOL...there are a LOT of Boots', so I bet it was loud!  Glad to hear the Evansville fans did not disappoint...I was bothered all day Saturday after reading that post :)  Thanks for the cheers Jon...the boys did great, we were very proud!!

On the individual level, I do not see MD improving much next year.  They have a chance to make it to team state next year, unless Castle reloads and improves, as coach Harmon has shown they can.  It all depends on wether the kids decide to apply themselves in the off season and improve.  If they don't, next year will be a repeat of this year.

MatChick,

Sims is actually a Junior and a 3-time state placer so he will be back next year.  I think he could have finished higher than 5th this year but had a tough draw in the quarterfinals.  Boots looked great and deserves all of the credit.  No one lucks into wins at state and he was one win away from wrestling under the lights.  I know there is no love lost with MD and other schools around the area but I agree when you hit Semi-State and State I root for all of our Southern Indiana kids...............and I'm not from MD.  I know lots of people who wrestled there and I know they will be back.  You have to give credit to Castle, Reitz, etc as the other Southern Indiana schools have stepped up their programs.  I'm not sure if any one school will dominate for such a long time like MD once did.  

LOL...there are a LOT of Boots', so I bet it was loud!  Glad to hear the Evansville fans did not disappoint...I was bothered all day Saturday after reading that post :)  Thanks for the cheers Jon...the boys did great, we were very proud!!

Hi Ya Matchick

Dittos from the Castle section also. We were rooting all the Eville Area kids on. It was quite a weekend. The web probably didnt give it justice.

As for everyone else saying how MD was down..what a compliment. Most schools when they are down no one even notices. I personally think we have MD and Mike Goebel to thank for why so many teams are getting better in the feeders and HS. Look at Castle, Reitz, Princeton, Memorial, Mt. Vernon, boys from North and Harrison...WOW. Its unfortunate for MD but they showed the way and opened lots of doors for the boys down here and the other schools are coming through the door and expanding on it...

The MD crowd has been a disappointment for the last 3-5 years.  Its just not the same type of crowd any more.  I will agree with MD85 that next year will be better than this year but we are SEVERAL years away from having 6-8 guys make it  to Saturday.  Trust me, Coach Schaefer will do everything he can to get MD back to that level.  It would be nice for the MD fans to show him that support.

And although MD has been down, congrats to Castle and others for rising up to the challenge.  They didn't complain and try to bring MD down, they just worked their tails off to beat them and they did.  Now MD will have to regroup and make their own run, which they will.

I think MD will send a few to state next year.

Sims and Boots are a lock. MD should do very well and be very tough next year.

Lannert- tough and very talented just has to put it all together

Weinzapfel

Henderson- finally gets over the hump next year

Schroeder 2 time SSQ I think he makes it his senior year

Brandenstein- I think if he didnt have reese 1st round at SS he could have made it

VanWinkle- Really came along at the end of the year and wrestled well at SS.

Mangold will find a spot  and I have a feeling he will suprise alot of people next year.

Raben- wrestled smart all year long and suprised alot of people at SS.

I think at best we could send 6-7 to state. Nothing wrong with being positive  ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.