2009-10 IHSWCA Regional Coach of the Year & State Coach of the Year

Cale Hoover

The IHSWCA Regional Coach of the Year winners are listed below.  They were selected by their peers in the coaching community.  To be eligible to receive or vote for the award you were required to be an IHSWCA member.

The Regional Representatives and the IHSWCA Exectutive Board then voted and chose the State Coach of the Year from this list.  The winner is listed below.

Regional 1: Steve Balash- Hobart

Regional 2: Scott Vlink ? Crown Point

Regional 3:  Brad Harper - Penn

Regional 4: Scott Vanderaa ? Harrison (West Lafayette)

Regional 5: Mark Kerrn - Jimtown

Regional 6:  Randy Pursley - Homestead

Regional 7: Andy Hobbs - Peru

Regional 8: Trent McCormick - Yorktown

Regional 9: Greg Gastineau ? Hamilton Southeastern

Regional 10: Jack Grimaldi - Alexandria

Regional 11: Lance Ellis - Roncalli

Regional 12: Rex Peckinpaugh ? New Castle

Regional 13: Zach Errett - Mooresville

Regional 14: Royce Deckard ? Bloomington South

Regional 15: Danny Struck - Jeffersonville

Regional 16: Matt Thompson ? Heritage Hills

State Coach of the Year - Trent McCormick  - Yorktown

I would like to congratulate all of the Coach of the Year recipients.  To be recognized by your peers means a great deal as these are the people who are in the trenches with you on a daily basis.  It is both humbling and flattering to have my peers say "job well done this year."  Every season brings new challenges and hurdles, and sometimes as coaches, managing your team's affairs can become very difficult.  It is nice sometimes to have someone outside of your program take notice of the tough job we all have as coaches and recognize you for your efforts.

I did not know that I had been named State Coach of the Year until I logged onto Indianamat a few moments ago.  Honestly, I am speechless.  This means a great deal to me.  Most everyone associated with a high school wrestling team knows that it takes more than the head coach to move a team in a positive direction.  I want to thank Coach Dulaney, Coach Brawner, Coach Warner, Coach Mantel and Coach Norris for everything they have done for our program and me.  I also want to thank my wrestlers and their parents for all of the support they have given to our team this season.  We have traveled to southern Indiana, St. Louis (MO), northwest Indiana, northeast Indiana and beyond this season.  It has been a grueling season, but one of the most rewarding seasons that I have been a part of in my 22 years at the helm of this program. 

Lastly, I want to thank the IHSWCA regional representatives, Coach Hoover and Coach Minch for everything they have done this season to improve Indiana High School wrestling.  Many of these gentlemen drove from the far reaches of our state to meet and put their minds together for the benefit of wrestlers from all over our state.  Thank you for all of your efforts, and I am proud to be a part of such a hard working group of people.

Thank you again.

Coach McCormick

Congratulations to Trent on being named Coach of the Year.  He is a tireless worker for both the Yorktown program and for Indiana wrestling in general. Congratulations also to all of the regional coaches of the year. This was a great addition by the IHSWCA this year. It gives several coaches around the state the chance for themselves and their programs to be recognized. Good luck to all participants and coaches at the state tournament. I'll see you at Conseco.

Chris Ervin

Crawfordsville H.S.

No disrespect to any coach out there.  I feel that you are all great people that are devoted to the kids and the sport.....I am just wondering how Steve Pugliese from Danville, Spence Spencer from Pike, Aaron Moss from Ben Davis and Scott VanDerAa were overlooked?  They all have done so much to bring back their school's programs to a top level in short periods of time.  You guys are my picks this year.  Like I said, all of you coaches are great and I respect each and every one of you...My hat is off to all of you.

Good luck in the future and keep up the great work and  remember to tell your wife that you love her more.....

VanDerAa is on the list.  The other three (Spencer and Moss being in the same regional) finished behind other candidates that have also brought their programs back from recent struggles.  Also, it's possible they are not IHSWCA members as the criteria states.  They obviously are very deserving candidates, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.