Flo-Nationals Registartion IN guys.

MattM

Flowrestling.com has introduced a new type of post-season high school event in wich freshman through seniors compete together for one title.  While it may not attact every stud in the nation several top level competators have already signed up.  

So far on the list

Cody Phillips Sophomore 103 Union County

Brenden Campbell Sophomore 112 New Castle High School

Devon Jackson Sophomore 130 Yorktown High School

Andrew Hiestand Junior 135 Yorktown

Jackson Bratcher Junior 171 Eastbrook High School

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a link to see all the competitors that have signed up?  

http://www.flowrestling.org/articles/view/1781-Flonationals-Registration-Update

I'm not sure who they have given prior seeding preference too or if they are part of this list but here is what they have so far.

I saw a few names from Italy on there so I'm not sure if they opened it up internationally or we have a few jokesters signing names up.

I happened to noticed that Brandon Nelson is now signed up as well.

These guys should get seeded well so they don't have to wrestle all three days. Isn't it the same weekend has NHSCA Nationals? They might be losing some competitors due to that, but overall good concept of having the non seeds wrestler their way though. Would be exhausting wrestling 3 days straight of the toughest competition though.

These guys should get seeded well so they don't have to wrestle all three days.

Well the Seed invites were sent out awhile ago.  Many of them went to the top names at each weight class, as well as, kids who one other major high school wrestling events (the ones we can't travel to).  So I'm not sure from Indiana who actually got the seeding invites.  If they didn't get an invite or reply back in time they then are thrown back into the big bracket that start on day 1.

MattM,

They gave out golden tickets to the winners or finalist of the major tournaments like Super 32, Beast of the East, ect.  Those guys would be seeded.  On March 22 they will look at all of the wrestlers entered and seed the best 32 kids.  Indiana has a great shot at having their kids seeded so they don't have to wrestle in the big mini.  If they don't get seeded then the will wrestle in the Big mini.

Coach Weimer

Sorry.  I jump the gun I was thinking the seeding registration had passed since I noticed this video up awhile ago.  However, after watching it again it does say March 22nd.  So Indiana guys still do have some time (though not much) to get their name in of they want and try to be be seeded.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235141-2010-flonationals/308001-seeding-registration-deadline

By looking at the names on the Flo Wrestling web site this is going to be as tough as Fargo.  And the colleges showing up is pretty impressive.

I think the point of the creating the event was to basically be a Senior Nationals Competition without the grade groupings.  I would say if anything it would draw in many Freshman-Junior studs who would rather show they can beat some very solid Seniors instead of just kids in their grade.

I talked to andy(head coach Northwestern) he suggested if you are wanting to go to college and wrestle to stick with virginia beach. They want to watch juniors and seniors wrestle that will be getting ready to hit college. Flonationals has some great competition but it has all grades wrestling each other and they are pretty much interested in just juniors and seniors at this point. A lot of coaches will be at virginia beach but, with the competition at flo, I am sure there will be some there also. It will be interesting how well it is ran since it is the first year. Good luck to the guys from Indiana that are going! 

Is it just me or does competing in Flonationals seem like a potentially bad idea for the super elite kids? Getting taped wrestling some of the best kids in country a month after your season has ended?

I understand why some kid who was a mid-level placer and wants to get colleges to notice him might take a crack at it but if you have a kid who is already getting a lot of love I don't see the upside. Say you won state as a junior and have already made noise at Fargo earlier in his life,  is it worth getting beat by someone no one has ever heard of and putting everything in jeapordy? Having video of your folkstlye matches posted on the most frequented webiste in the sport for opposing coaches to scout all year long?

I just can't imagine that I'd ask my kid to make the weight on his own, search for quality partners and then show up to a tournament where all the college reps will be present and risk damaging his chances to go to college for free. This isn't like Fargo where folks have a few weeks of Team Indiana practices to prepare them.

Shrug.

If you are not willing to put it on the line, then why even compete in the sport? That is what I tell my wrestlers.. The more you wrestle the better you will become.. If you are scared to lose a match then you probably should stay at home..  I am excited for Flonationals and will be there coaching.. I hope Flonationals becomes the consensus top Folkstyle National Tournament in the up coming years.. I enjoy what those guys that run Flowrestling do for the sport, and will be there supporting Flonationals..

How can you not support these guys and their tournament when they give you coverage like this?

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235141-2010-flonationals/319118-what-a-dirty-season

Coach Swain

Wow I can't believe what I am reading? Worried about getting your wrestler seen.  I don't speak for anyone but myself but who really cares.Sure its nice to see tapes on you apponent but do you really think that tape is going to do any good for next year at another tournament.  These wrestlers change after every practice wrestle at different weight classes there are so many variables.  Come on summer wrestling makes winter champions I thank Flo and all the other different organizations who take the chance and hold a tournament of this magnitude with this quality of wrestlers.

Is it just me or does competing in Flonationals seem like a potentially bad idea for the super elite kids? Getting taped wrestling some of the best kids in country a month after your season has ended?

I understand why some kid who was a mid-level placer and wants to get colleges to notice him might take a crack at it but if you have a kid who is already getting a lot of love I don't see the upside. Say you won state as a junior and have already made noise at Fargo earlier in his life,  is it worth getting beat by someone no one has ever heard of and putting everything in jeapordy? Having video of your folkstlye matches posted on the most frequented webiste in the sport for opposing coaches to scout all year long?

I just can't imagine that I'd ask my kid to make the weight on his own, search for quality partners and then show up to a tournament where all the college reps will be present and risk damaging his chances to go to college for free. This isn't like Fargo where folks have a few weeks of Team Indiana practices to prepare them.

Shrug.

If you are worried about your matches being viewed by the competition you better not wrestle EVER.  There are a lot of connections throughout the coaching ranks where coaches can get tape on many different wrestlers.

Here are the Indiana people I found, good to see quite a few getting some national experience.

103 - Brendan Campbell, Santo Marciano

119 - Brandon Nelsen

125 - Jordan Johnson

130 - Jason Tsirtsis, Jordan Johnson (again?), Devon Jackson

135 - Andrew Hiestand, Matt Rattay

140 - Matt Rattay (again?)

145 - Eric Roach

152 - Sam Bennett

171 - Jake Bartley, Jackson Bratcher

189 - Jeremy Haskett

215 - Jeff Mofield

Here are the Indiana people I found, good to see quite a few getting some national experience.

103 - Brendan Campbell, Santo Marciano

119 - Brandon Nelsen

125 - Jordan Johnson

130 - Jason Tsirtsis, Jordan Johnson (again?), Devon Jackson

135 - Andrew Hiestand, Matt Rattay

140 - Matt Rattay (again?)

145 - Eric Roach

152 - Sam Bennett

171 - Jake Bartley, Jackson Bratcher

189 - Jeremy Haskett

215 - Jeff Mofield

yeah i was planning on wrestling 135 and 145 to get a rest in between matches.....but then i decided that i didn't need the rest XD XD XD totally kidding.

no really i just was a bit over zelous on my weight class choice haha.

Yes decent love indeed...not sure how to take it though.....

2. Phillips (Union County IN)

9. Campbell (New Castle IN)

3. Nelsen (Lawrence North IN)

1. Tsirtsis (Crown Point IN)

3. Roach (Crown Point IN)

4. Bennett (Anderson Highland IN)

6. Bratcher (Eastbrook IN)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.