Purdue vs Indiana w/ live blog

Indiana 22  FINAL Purdue 17

174 lbs.- #6 Luke Manuel (PU) tech falls Nick Avery (IU), 22-7 (Team Score: 0-5)

184 lbs.- Nick Corpe (PU) dec. over Eric Cameron (IU), 3-2 (0-8)

197 lbs.- #15 Matt Powless (IU) dec. over #13 Logan Brown (PU), 4-1 (3-8)

285 lbs.- #2 Nate Everhart (IU) pins Adam Walls (PU), 2:27 (9-8)

125 lbs.- #1 Angel Escobedo (IU) maj. dec. over #17 Cashe Quiroga (PU), 19-5 (13-8)

133 lbs.- Akif Eren (PU) dec. over Matt Ortega (IU), 6-2 (13-11)

141 lbs.- Danny Monaco (IU) dec. over Bill Putman (PU), 7-1 (16-11)

149 lbs. Nick Bertucci (PU) dec. over Matt Coughlin(IU), 3-0 (16-14)

157 lbs. Colton Salazar (PU) dec. overKurt Kinser (IU), 3-1 SV (16-17)

165lbs. Paul Young (IU) pins Jason Martin(PU), (22-17)

174 lbs.- Luke Manuel looked fantastic.  Is Avery injured because he looked like he didn't even want to be out there. 

184 lbs.- I haven't seen Nick Corpe since he was in high school.  He looks really solid and had a nice takedown to win it.

197 lbs.- Matt Powless doesn't look like 197 lber, but he's solid and really impressed me.

285 lbs.- Everhart might be my pick to win this weight. 

125 lbs.- I like Cashe as much as anyone, but he doesn't deserve to share the mat with Angel at this point.  Angel is just awesome.  IU has a great shot at two NCAA champs this season. 

133 lbs.- Not much here...

141 lbs.- Thought Monaco had that takedown at the buzzer. 

149 lbs. - Is Bertucci really good on top or Coughlin really bad on bottom?  Down 1-0 going to the third and Coughlin chose neutral raised a few eyebrows.

157 lbs. - Kinser deserved to lose that match, he didn't try to generate any offense. 

165lbs. - Paul Young looked really good.  With the match on line, he looked really calm and took it right to Martin.

There was a good crowd but it was really quiet.  Was there a wrestling hangover from yesterday?

Thanks for the 1st hand observations Smooth.

I hope some of the other folks that attended the dual will share theirs as well.

A fella over at the mats new site was talking about how the assistant coaches were acting very unprofessional. Did you see that as well?

Thanks for the 1st hand observations Smooth.

I hope some of the other folks that attended the dual will share theirs as well.

A fella over at the mats new site was talking about how the assistant coaches were acting very unprofessional. Did you see that as well?

Interesting, did that person give a specific example?  I didn't see anything from today's meet that I would deem unprofessional from either coaching staff, although I must admit I wasn't watching the coaches very closely. 

I checked out those comments.  IU did have a couple of assistants that roamed their side of the mat.  However, I was in the upper deck and didn't hear any comments and did not see one of IU's coaches put his finger in Cashe's face.  If that's true, that's terrible for the sport and Coach Goldman needs to step in and do something. 

Drooke Who were you referring to? No misconduct on any side! You need to screen your info!

That is what I was attempting to do here Disco...find some other folks that actually witnessed the dual.

This is the post I was referring to.... by wrestlingfan101

I don't usually comment on athletes or coaches behavior, I also don't like calling an individual out, but I felt that this should be mentioned. I'm not quite sure why Goldman allows this sort of behavior to go on, because he certainly seems like a stand up guy. I'm not so sure you can say the same for his assistants.

I'm not sure how many of you in attendance saw it, but did anyone else notice Dubuque putting his finger in Cashe's face? Completely unprofessional, and his actions on the side line were quite immature. I've seen a lot of foolish behavior on the sidelines by coaches before, but Dubuque certainly gets the dunce award today. Was stepping on the mat half of the time, yelling at refs every chance he got, and his attempts to intimidate the PU wrestlers as they went out of bounds on the IU side. I can't ever remember a time in which a Coach put his finger in an athletes face as he went out of bounds to intimidate him. I would maybe understanding of his behavior if a kid was being classless and cheap shot someone, but that was clearly not the case. If the refs at that meet had balls, IU would have been dinged.

I have always held IU wrestling in high regard, as I thought it represents the state well. I have always found Goldman to be a class act and IU wrestlers have always seemed to wrestle with respect for their opponent (Which they certainly did this meet!), but A couple assistants on the IU bench were acting like plain tools today.

I'm not the only one, I heard several comments about it from both the PU fans and those wearing Crimson. Kind of embarassing taking non wrestling fans to a meet and having to explain to them that not all coaches act like complete tools on the sidelines. I think it certainly waters down a great meet, as today both teams performed well, and there was some good wrestling from both sides.

and....when queried about who the other coaches were....

a bit of Pat. He didn't seem to be as bad as Dubuque though. I didn't see Andre acting like a jackal, or at least I didn't notice it at all.

OK I was there also, the aforementioned comments by WF101 were totally an exaggeration, Joe was on the outer edges of the mat, if on the mat at all. The match really was exciting and fun to attend . The schools need to keep this in their schedules.

OK I was there also, the aforementioned comments by WF101 were totally an exaggeration, Joe was on the outer edges of the mat, if on the mat at all. The match really was exciting and fun to attend . The schools need to keep this in their schedules.

I agree with both parts of this.  I didn't see anything from where I was sitting that I would deem unprofessional.  Also, it was really fun to attend and would love this dual to be an annual occurence in Indianapolis.  I saw a lot of young wrestlers there who got to see wrestling at a high level.  Too bad it ended up being on the same day as middle school state.

Where was Archuleta for Purdue @ 141?  I watched him wrestler Humphrey @ Ohio State and only lost 3-1.  Then he defeated a highly ranked guy from Minnesota, so seemed on a big roll.

I assume Archuleta beats Monaco @ 141, and that would have given Purdue the victory.

Couldn't make it yesterday, but sounds like it was an exciting match, hope they do it again next year!

Really enjoyed watching my first Big 10 dual in person (have watched the Big 10 network religiously since they started showing wrestling)...I echo the previous comments that I hope at least one of these two teams can arrange to schedule a dual meet each season in Indy.  It would be nice to see Wisconsin or Ohio State here with their local/state flavor.  Iowa sure would be nice too.  I sat in the lower section and the only issues I saw with the IU asst coaches were their irritation with the clock in the second half of the meet.  Seen much worse on Indiana HS sidelines (Marion County coaches/assistants...I'm looking at you!)  My eight year old got a real kick out of the match, in fact expressed a real interest in getting involved for the very first time! 

After thinking about this format over night, I think the hand wrighting is on the wall for fan interest. Both institutions should have one meet in Indianoplis, -not- aginst each other,every year. The gate take and crowds would always be better than any one of their home matches. Then( on a two or four year cycle) the instate clash between the schools should be held at a different  neutral venue,  in the hot beds of the state for H.S. wrestling. Decatur,Evansville, maybe Muncie area, Lake county. Just for generating New interest in the sport.