Ref. APPRECIATION

youngone

I just wanted to say, that amongst the awesome wresling at merrillville, the refs were absolutely phenomenal.

Great Job Guys!!!!

I encourage coaches and fans that witnessed high quality officiating to commend them through this thread.

I respectfully disagree on the New Castle officiating. At least the two mats I was watching. Many instances the officials were out of position or flat out refused to overturn a call. It's a tough job but to decide matches at this level is a travesty.

I heard alot of coaches concerned about the lack of experience in the crew assigned to Evansville.  I thought they did a great job.  I can't say that I remember "noticing" the officials much all day and that is what you want as an official, to be unoticed.  They only time I noticed an official was when one had to stop a punch in mid swing.  Nice job guys!

On another note, I think they need to consider making the semi-state crew 12 officials and putting a 3 man rotation on each mat.  Those first two rounds are tough on two guys working non-stop without breaks.  At this level of competition, it good for the brain to have some downtime.  These guys worked non-stop for 4 hours.

You know what, I would have to agree as well.  I think the officiating at the Merr. SS was very good Sat.    I think my beef has  more to do with the current rules, regarding "OUT OF BOUNDS", than any thing.    There is way to much "subjectivity" at play in this ruling.  I saw everything from one kid touching a toe on the line and both guys brought back to center, to almost both guys completely out before the whistle was blown.    It just seemed to be way to much inconsistency among the calls.  Why can't we get closer to college rules in this regard?  But other wise, good job guys.

at ft wayne tho difference story i am not being bias in any way and everybody around me thought it too but the ticket round match between workman from taylor and rushing from homestead where he had won the match 3 TIMES!! hit with a stalling with 2 seconds left in regulation? he was clearly circling and defended a shot? rushing got a point and that made the match go to OT again workman had a nice takedown and was not awarded it. then in sudden death he got out as time was expiring i thought he had the 2 reversal let alone the escape and did not get the point. sorry kid tough break and showed great sportsmanship after. nice job

2 seconds left did seem like a 'gotcha' call at that point.  

I will admit that I didn't stay for the whole thing, but the length of day is going to make for some probable officiating problems.  If you have to be in a gym that long people are going to begin to get on each other's nerves no matter what you call!

Having said that Roger Griffith and Hot Rod Morgan did offer a dose of common sense that helped me keep my sanity throughout the day.

Mr. Anslinger (sp?) and Mr. Russel are two officials who don't get to our area very often at all.  I have to give them the highest compliment any official can get, I barely noticed them at all.  Always, a good feeling when you can say that about an official.

I agree on the comments about the refing at the Evansville semistate.  There are always going to be calls that someone doesn't agree with.  Those are the judgment calls that happen in the stalling, fleeing the mat, and some control/no control/loss of control situations.  I thought the officiating was excellent.

Hmmm....seems we have a difference of opinion concerning the officiating at a semistate....how about that...... ;D

At Evansville, there were a couple of times calls were changed after a conference with the assistant official.

Well, I did see a kid hit a spladdle and had the kid CLEARLY pinned.  That one was blown.  I agree with the out of bounds calls, it is pretty cut and dry as to what is out of bounds but it seems some guys just miss it.  Of course they are right there and I am in the stands.  I think there were a few that were not as good as others and seemed to miss more calls.  All in all I thought the overall officiating was good.  It is the same gripes every year about officials and will always be the same.  Stalling and fleeing the mat being at the top of the list.  So I am not gonna go on and on about it, no uses to anyway because I have been reading that these topics tend to get closed out right away anyway by the communistic moderators.  ;D

Fist off let me start by saying i would never ref even if I got paid the big bucks(jk) like these guys do, but my only gripe is the assistant refferee. The whole objective of the assistant is to see be the head refferee's second pair of eyes, even though sometimes they dont have one set themselves. At mville i didn't see one assistant ref call a locking hands or caution, which there were many. Point being, I would like to see the assistant ref be in position to make these calls. They should be watching as soon as a kid is returned to the mat or on a switch and in other situations. Hopefully nobody takes this personal just some constructive criticism from someone who knows litte about wrestling and much less about officiating.  

Very good point Spider.  I could not agree with you more, also the point about about reffing myself, I did notice a few out of position.  I guess sometimes it can be hard not to become a spectator with the great wrestling going on right in front of you.  One in paticular I seen was at 215 the Seaman-Reagan ticket match.  Looked like Reagan may have pulled on the Munster kids headgear while pulling him over top but neiher had even a chance to see it, because they were both on the opposite side of it, which I believe defeats the purpose of the assistant ref.  Anyhow, like I said nice job overall.

Fist off let me start by saying i would never ref even if I got paid the big bucks(jk) like these guys do, but my only gripe is the assistant refferee. The whole objective of the assistant is to see be the head refferee's second pair of eyes, even though sometimes they dont have one set themselves. At mville i didn't see one assistant ref call a locking hands or caution, which there were many. Point being, I would like to see the assistant ref be in position to make these calls. They should be watching as soon as a kid is returned to the mat or on a switch and in other situations. Hopefully nobody takes this personal just some constructive criticism from someone who knows litte about wrestling and much less about officiating.  

Spider monkey: If you're going to goes as far as insult someone who does wear the stripes by name you should at least show enough intestinal fortitude to not hide behind a screen name.

Dr. John Barnett

I see that the moderators took your indiscretion off before I posted. Thank you Y2

Good point by samaj: I thought it was a very well officiated SS at Eville! There were some very young officials, but they did a stellar job with some very intimidating coaches...lol!

Ditto on...a well officiated match is the one when you think back and cannot remember who the official was.

Spider monkey: If you're going to goes as far as insult someone who does wear the stripes by name you should at least show enough intestinal fortitude to not hide behind a screen name.

Dr. John Barnett

I see that the moderators took your indiscretion off before I posted. Thank you Y2

well i was just joking using chuck's name. if you ever seen chuck's avatar u would know it was a joke. besides chuck should know who i am and if not he can ask the moderators because they know who i am.

Thanks for the pm and clarification on that Spider. Anybody that knows me knows that I am going to defend my brother. The bad thing about e-mails, texting, etc...you can sometimes miss the humor or sarcasm intended. And I forgot that Chuckles was a moderator!

XCard: REFEREE are you kidding...I'm like spider on that one...there's not enough money! I was the Head Coach at Gibson Southern until this year. Notorious for being hard on officials...lol! A second official is worthless if they're not in position...which should always be opposite of the other official. I think that too often the 2nd is cautious about making a call for various reasons: ie. afraid it makes the other official look bad or maybe they're just sleeping (jk stripers)!! I do think that seniority plays a role sometimes. A younger official is not as quick to offer his opinion to a more experienced official.

JB

Thanks for the pm and clarification on that Spider. Anybody that knows me knows that I am going to defend my brother. The bad thing about e-mails, texting, etc...you can sometimes miss the humor or sarcasm intended. And I forgot that Chuckles was a moderator!

XCard: REFEREE are you kidding...I'm like spider on that one...there's not enough money! I was the Head Coach at Gibson Southern until this year. Notorious for being hard on officials...lol! A second official is worthless if they're not in position...which should always be opposite of the other official. I think that too often the 2nd is cautious about making a call for various reasons: ie. afraid it makes the other official look bad or maybe they're just sleeping (jk stripers)!! I do think that seniority plays a role sometimes. A younger official is not as quick to offer his opinion to a more experienced official.

JB

Notorious for being hard on officials?  C'mon, John.  That's like saying Hitler had a slight disliking for non-Germans............ ;)

Heck, that could be a thread all by itself!!  John Barnett and his interactions with officials... ;D

JUST A JOKE......John knows who I am and knows I've seen him in action!!!!!

That's funny Tom! Fantastic job at Eville SS this year...as usual!

I am just glad the officials didn't start putting quotes from coaches on here in that one thread. Someone asked me about this on Saturday when I told an older, a little slower official who was reffing at Castle Inv. and wouldn't visual count near-fall then...BAM...he would award it. I asked and he said that he just counted it in his head...I told him that I didn't think he could count to five without using a visual aide...uhhh..-1 team point Gibson Southern. LOL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.