Seeing how most everyone just went along with the first idea to "fix" the Jay Co. fiasco, are we going to put an asterisk (*) next to this year's entries unto the history books?

Seems as though, from an outsider's perspective, the whole thing has been modified, and is therefore incomparable to other years.

--monkey!

Seeing how most everyone just went along with the first idea to "fix" the Jay Co. fiasco, are we going to put an asterisk (*) next to this year's entries unto the history books?

Seems as though, from an outsider's perspective, the whole thing has been modified, and is therefore incomparable to other years.

--monkey!

What do you suggest?

What do you mean, what do I suggest? I asked a question. I suggest to put an asterisk next to 2010 because the entire state tournament has been altered.

What should have happened, and really still has time to happen, is that each wrestler who qualified for the Jay Co. Regional be invited to the Ft. Wayne Semi-State. Those wrestlers who won, got 2nd, etc. can keep their medals, but the tournament at Ft. Wayne get seeded as an invitational, with a set number of seeds and the rest a blind draw. You now have a 28 wrestler bracket, make two pools and your ticket round would still be 3, but 3 matches for everyone. The pigtail penalizes the wrestlers who weren't able to get to Jay Co.

The retort will be, why should everyone at Ft. Wayne have to win 3 to go to state? My only answer is this: The same situation could have, and may yet, happen to anyone. With the disadvantage the Rand. Co. wrestlers have by not being able to determine their own destiny at Jay Co., the state tournament is compromised throughout.

Though I agree with you that it was and is unfair, I disagree that you should want to put an asterisk with this season. The best wrestler in the state is still going to be crowned the Champ next Saturday. It may be unfair that some of their draws are not favorable, but it does not tarnish all of other wrestler's individual success in the end.

What do you mean, what do I suggest? I asked a question. I suggest to put an asterisk next to 2010 because the entire state tournament has been altered.

What should have happened, and really still has time to happen, is that each wrestler who qualified for the Jay Co. Regional be invited to the Ft. Wayne Semi-State. Those wrestlers who won, got 2nd, etc. can keep their medals, but the tournament at Ft. Wayne get seeded as an invitational, with a set number of seeds and the rest a blind draw. You now have a 28 wrestler bracket, make two pools and your ticket round would still be 3, but 3 matches for everyone. The pigtail penalizes the wrestlers who weren't able to get to Jay Co.

The retort will be, why should everyone at Ft. Wayne have to win 3 to go to state? My only answer is this: The same situation could have, and may yet, happen to anyone. With the disadvantage the Rand. Co. wrestlers have by not being able to determine their own destiny at Jay Co., the state tournament is compromised throughout.

Are you suggesting that your idea for a fix would NOT "alter the entire state tournament?" And the Randolph Co. wrestlers are still able to determine their own destiny, if they don't lose another match this year -- they are State Champs.

I think the Rand. Co. wrestlers are getting a bad deal, but with this scenario you'd be penalizing the wrestlers that already wrestled three matches at regionals.

Though I agree with you that it was and is unfair, I disagree that you should want to put an asterisk with this season. The best wrestler in the state is still going to be crowned the Champ next Saturday. It may be unfair that some of their draws are not favorable, but it does not tarnish all of other wrestler's individual success in the end.

I think this guy said it best when he said the best wrestler is still going to be crowned Champ next Saturday. Well, prove it! With Rand. Co. wrestlers being factored out of the equation the way they did and still marginally are, you seriously can not prove it. If the best wrestler will still win, what would make the difference between 2 matches and 3?

I think it's a case of having one's cake and eating it too.

But that's me, and they've censored me before. Must be some truth in it.

I think this guy said it best when he said the best wrestler is still going to be crowned Champ next Saturday. Well, prove it! With Rand. Co. wrestlers being factored out of the equation the way they did and still marginally are, you seriously can not prove it. If the best wrestler will still win, what would make the difference between 2 matches and 3?

I think it's a case of having one's cake and eating it too.

But that's me, and they've censored me before. Must be some truth in it.

Is there someone from Rand. Co. that's a semistate qualifier that isn't included in the wrestling Saturday?

Honestly, I do not even know. I have no connection to Rand. Co. wrestling, only having wrestled there in h.s. many a moon ago.

Here's how I see it and sorry in advance to the boys who won advancement tickets last week:

No one really qualified for SS at Jay Co. Saying that they did is like giving the top ranked wrestler from each wt class in Jan. the gold medal State Championship.

The coaches should have protested Sat. and banned together and not wrestled their boys unless all who rightfully qualified from Sect. had the legitimate opportunity to be there and wrestle. What happened was not a few being over weight or being disqualified because of training rules. It still disgusts me. What other possibilities were presented, considered? Did we just go with the first one?

It reminds me of No Child Left Behind. Why penalize the disadvantaged?

The only true way to fix it is to totally redo the Jay County regional.  Sorry if some of the kids that made it through the first time around get cut, but the whole thing should have never happened in the first place.  And you don't have to redo all of the bouts anyway.  Just wrestle all the matches where someone got a forfeit because someone was missing Saturday, if the kid that was missing losses, that?s it, the win is verified, and the results of the original bracket are confirmed.  If not, then the next part of the bracket is wrestled until we have a true winner, or the original results are verified.  I know this means that a couple of kids would have to show up and not even wrestle, but at least we would know that everything was done right.

Honestly, I do not even know. I have no connection to Rand. Co. wrestling, only having wrestled there in h.s. many a moon ago.

Here's how I see it and sorry in advance to the boys who won advancement tickets last week:

No one really qualified for SS at Jay Co. Saying that they did is like giving the top ranked wrestler from each wt class in Jan. the gold medal State Championship.

The coaches should have protested Sat. and banned together and not wrestled their boys unless all who rightfully qualified from Sect. had the legitimate opportunity to be there and wrestle. What happened was not a few being over weight or being disqualified because of training rules. It still disgusts me. What other possibilities were presented, considered? Did we just go with the first one?

So what disadvantage are the pigtails,  other than being an extra match for the wrestlers involved?

The only true way to fix it is to totally redo the Jay County regional.  Sorry if some of the kids that made it through the first time around get cut, but the whole thing should have never happened in the first place.  And you don't have to redo all of the bouts anyway.  Just wrestle all the matches where someone got a forfeit because someone was missing Saturday, if the kid that was missing losses, that?s it, the win is verified, and the results of the original bracket are confirmed.  If not, then the next part of the bracket is wrestled until we have a true winner, or the original results are verified.  I know this means that a couple of kids would have to show up and not even wrestle, but at least we would know that everything was done right.

So I'm not crazy, and I'm not alone. IHSAA: Hello! Are you going to do anything, or is this sufficiently swept under the rug?

So what disadvantage are the pigtails,  other than being an extra match for the wrestlers involved?

Really? It puts in some cases, a first place sectional champ who did not get to compete at JayCo. against another Regional champ in the ticket round. Really great for some, horrible for those who didn't make JayCo.

Monkey...

Does it "disgust" you because weather was bad, the Randolph County government "closed" the county, the school administrators told the coaches they could not travel to participate in their regional, or that Jay County and the IHSAA made a decision in favor of the 86% who made it to Jay County, not against the 14% who did not?

I still think is is a shame that the schools administrators (from Winchester, RS, and others) cared less for their wrestling athletes than they perhaps would  other sport athletes (read basketball) and would not allow them to travel and participate in the regional tournament for which they trained and qualified.

To continue to beat this horse is ridiculous.  There is no way now that everyone can be satisfied with this situation!  Let's just make the best of it and move on.  Congrats to all who will participate in the Ft. Wayne Semi-State this weekend.  

Sheesh!

They ARE doing something -- they are allowing these wrestlers to compete. No solution is perfect, including yours. Allowing athletes that have already been eliminated to wrestle is certainly not the solution I would vote for. There have been other issues that have been "swept under the rug" this tournament season, but this is not one of them. At least the kids have an opportunity to compete and did not have their season ended by not being able to make it to Jay Co. last weekend.

Monkey...

Does it "disgust" you because weather was bad, the Randolph County government "closed" the county, the school administrators told the coaches they could not travel to participate in their regional, or that Jay County and the IHSAA made a decision in favor of the 86% who made it to Jay County, not against the 14% who did not?

I still think is is a shame that the schools administrators (from Winchester, RS, and others) cared less for their wrestling athletes than they perhaps would  other sport athletes (read basketball) and would not allow them to travel and participate in the regional tournament for which they trained and qualified.

To continue to beat this horse is ridiculous.  There is no way now that everyone can be satisfied with this situation!  Let's just make the best of it and move on.  Congrats to all who will participate in the Ft. Wayne Semi-State this weekend. 

Sheesh!

They ARE doing something -- they are allowing these wrestlers to compete. No solution is perfect, including yours. Allowing athletes that have already been eliminated to wrestle is certainly not the solution I would vote for. There have been other issues that have been "swept under the rug" this tournament season, but this is not one of them. At least the kids have an opportunity to compete and did not have their season ended by not being able to make it to Jay Co. last weekend.

It disgusts me that JayCo., the coaches present and the IHSAA made the decision to continue wrestling. Do you honestly think throwing percentages around is justifiable? 1% not in attendance because of the same circumstances would be unacceptable.

Speaking of (read basketball) didn't the Yorktown v. JayCo basketball game get cancelled that very night?

Wrestling is the most equal sport in the world. It is of the Natural Order. It's been tampered here like other sports where those in positions of power are determining outcomes. Want me to stop? Tell your buddies at the IHSWCA to turn me off.

The opportunity they have NLCards is quite like being allowed to vote only if you pass a test.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.