Favorite Coach's Quotes

BlueBolt

"He just got caught in a whim-wham."

"You're as slow as molasses in January!"

"Gollleeeee! Why don't you just put skirts on 'em?"

"Don't ever give him a second chance! It's like lighting his stomach on fire and then pi**ing down his throat to put it out!"

Notice the farther back in time we go for these memories the more entertaining they are?

;D

My high school coach in Ohio during the mid to late 70's was a real motivator. My junior year we had a very strong team and wrestled a ough dual meet schedule with a couple of tournaments sprinkled in. I wrestled 167 that year and our Heavyweight was very good and we could quite often count on a pin from if not just a win. Our 175 and 185lbers won aboult half their matches so we couldn't count on them for anything. Often in tight matches I was the "swing match".

Before one of those tight matches my coach would put his arm around my shoulder and look me directly in the eye. Our fans would see this and think he was saying something profound...and he would usually say something like..."if you don't win tis match I'm going to choke you to death in front of all these people."

The good news is we are still great friends. I know I would not have accomplished some of the things I have done in or out wrestling without his guidance. He is being inducted into the Hall of Fame back home and he has asked me to be his presenter. Other than being selected for the Olympic Games I consider that my highest honor.

Back in the "day" my wrestling coach was also my football coach and most of our games were on a Friday night.  After a victory he would sometimes back down from his "women will make you weak during season" rant and tell us to " Take your girlie-friends on down to the local gedunk stand and buy her some pogey-bait."  

Any guesses to the Southern Indiana Coach to whom this phrase may be attributed?

This is my personal favorite...  As the refs leave the hospitality room after lunch a coach blocks the hall with his arms out.  As the group of officials stops to hear what caused the concerned look on his face the coach begins to speak.  "Which one of you lost your cell phone," he says with the same concerned look as before.  The officials look at each other and suddenly they have the same confused look on their faces.  One speaks for the whole group, "None of us lost a phone!  Why?"  Coach replies, as he turns the phone over so everyone can see, "It has to belong to one of you ding-dongs.  It says right here 10 missed calls!"   :-*

I have to add that this is a true story.  One ref actually spouted a comeback as the coach walked past, "Just think coach, it's only noon..."

That's a good one!

Many of mine come from wrestling at good ole Manchester College for the "profound" Coach Jarman.  I have a ton but my favorites are:

"Put on your iron clad jock strap and be ready to go!"

"You only need three things to be a great wrestler, big arms, a big heart, and big balls!"

"You're just a stupid s*&( little freshman."

"On the line"...that one always sucked.

"This isn't punishment.  I have to purge the disease!"  (This one always came after a bad tourney or dual...usually about 1 or 2 in the morning right before practice.)

Over the cb's in the vans..."When we get back, put your stuff in the locker room, get your workout gear on and head over to the gym for a team meeting."  (Again, after a bad tourney...LATE at night.)

I always wondered if my wrestlers were actually listening to me and in 2004 I found out.  At our awards banquet, one of my seniors, Brett Miller, handed me a little booklet.  On the front it was titled the Wrestling Bible.  I got a little chuckle out of it because I had no clue what he had cooked up.  When I opened it, it was a collection of my "famous quotes"...over 100 of them.  Since his freshman year, he had been keeping track of the things I had said.  It is one of my favorite things I have ever received from a group of kids.

Many of mine come from wrestling at good ole Manchester College for the "profound" Coach Jarman.  I have a ton but my favorites are:

"Put on your iron clad jock strap and be ready to go!"

"You only need three things to be a great wrestler, big arms, a big heart, and big balls!"

"You're just a stupid s*&( little freshman."

"On the line"...that one always sucked.

"This isn't punishment.  I have to purge the disease!"  (This one always came after a bad tourney or dual...usually about 1 or 2 in the morning right before practice.)

Over the cb's in the vans..."When we get back, put your stuff in the locker room, get your workout gear on and head over to the gym for a team meeting."  (Again, after a bad tourney...LATE at night.)

I always wondered if my wrestlers were actually listening to me and in 2004 I found out.  At our awards banquet, one of my seniors, Brett Miller, handed me a little booklet.  On the front it was titled the Wrestling Bible.  I got a little chuckle out of it because I had no clue what he had cooked up.  When I opened it, it was a collection of my "famous quotes"...over 100 of them.  Since his freshman year, he had been keeping track of the things I had said.  It is one of my favorite things I have ever received from a group of kids.

You didn't mention that a 'bad tournament or dual' in many cases meant we won as a team, but didn't perform to HIS standard.

My favorite Jarmon story was after the Wheaton tourney, his alma mater.  He was upset that we took third to a Div. 1 & a Div. 2 school, so he pulled into a truck stop at around 11:30 in Chicago to 'feed' us dinner.  He yelled into the van cb, "You each have 10 dollars and ten minutes before these vans leave!"  The short order cook in that place was running wild!  Many of us piled in that van as the wheels began to roll with raw or frozen meet with a side of twizzlers and gum!  He meant what he said everytime.

Andy,

I remember many a time being on the wrong side of a good butt chewing after I had won a match or tournament.  I remember being at Ohio Northern my junior year and being 1 point from a tech fall and not getting it.  He was not happy.  I learned very early that competing for Tom was not always about the win or the loss but about the performance.

Early on in my coaching career, kids would always seem perplexed that I was chewing them after a win or praising them after a loss.  The looks on their faces were always funny to see.

Clint

I remember my sophomore year I was wrestling at conference and I was losing by 5 points to someone Coach Campbell knew I could beat. The kid got blood time halfway through the third period and Coach Campbell called me over to the edge of the mat. The looked at me and this was the conversation:

Coach: "Sampson! Whats wrong with you?! What's your problem? Are you hurt???"

Me: "No sir."

Coach: "Then WHAT is your problem?!"

Me: "I don't kn-"

Coach (with a red face as he grabs and shakes my still-attached headgear): "I DON'T GIVE A (expletive)  WHAT YOU'RE PROBLEM IS! IF YOU AREN'T HURT YOU HAD BEST GO OUT THERE RIGHT NOW AND WRESTLE THIS KID LIKE YOU HAVE SOME SENSE! COME ON SON WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT THERE!?!"

Thirty seconds later, without the use of a throw, I was tied with my opponent and I went on to pin him with twenty seconds still on the clock. Coach approached me after the match, still heated but smiling as he jokingly said:

Coach: "Josh, you know I love you like you were my own son. But if you ever do that again...... I'll kill you."

Coach always knew exactly what I needed to hear.

My Sophomore year at ISWA folkstyle state i was losing a match 9-2. My dad was coaching me from my corner and was fuming mad. I was tired and gasing really bad even though it was still the first period. I attribute this directly to my lack of practicing and excessive eating after highschool season had ended. Anyway i decide it would be a good idea to call an injury time out because i'm finding it increasingly difficult to breath. Coach Leroy Vega happened to gaze over to my mat at this exact moment and ran THROUGH three seperate matches to get to my corner. When he arrived he grabbed me by my headgear and directed my gaze down to him and proceded to say "I called injury time one time in my career and Coach Robinson reamed my @$$ for it so now im gonna ream yours", and proceded to drop a couple more choice words. I won that match by tech fall in the second period. Apparently all i was lacking was proper motivation.

After high school I left home and joined the military.  The day I left for basic training my football/wrestling coach took me aside and gave me these words of advice.  He said "Son, I am not worried about you as much as I thought I would be because if you can make it thru one of my wrestling seasons then the military should be a piece of cake."  I'll be damned if the old man wasn't right again!! 

Thanks Dad. 

A few of my favorite wrestling quotes/sayings from some lesser known sources:

No activity I know is more of a confidence builder, and at the same time more "humility training" than wrestling - Congressman James Leach

I feel more a part of the wrestling community than I feel I belong to the community of arts and letters.  Why?  Because wrestling requires even more dedication than writing because wrestling represents the most difficult and rewarding objective that I have ever dedicated myself to; because wrestling and wrestling coaches are among the most disciplined and self-sacrificing people I have ever known. -- John Irving, Writer

No exercise brings into play all the muscles of the body in a more thorough manner, and none is more interesting than wrestling.  He will find no other exercise more valuable in the cultivation of faculties which will help him earn success in agility, strength, determination, coolness, and quick exercise of judgement.

- Hugh Leonard, Wrestling Coach New York Athletic Club 1897

Wrestling is a sport that has turned many boys into men and many men into leaders.  And it is a sport in which you can be a giant, regardless of how big you are.  - Carl Albert, former Speaker of the House

Fatigue makes cowards of us all. - Anonymous

Through wrestling, through the hard work and the sweat, through the victories and the defeats, we learn a great deal about ourselves. Wrestling shows you your limits, your weaknesses, your strengths and, ultimately, you grow because of what it shows you. - J Robinson

The sport of wrestling is a tremendous builder of the values and characteristics which are needed to succeed in any walk of life. Much of what I have managed to achieve in life I owe directly to the years I spent in the wrestling room, as an athlete and a coach. Wrestling is a great educational tool. - Dennis Hastert, former Speaker of the House

Take a strong wrestler, get them tired, and they aren't as strong.

Take a quick wrestler, get them tired, and they aren't as quick.

Take a technical wrestler, get them tired, and they aren't as technical.

No matter what kind of wrestler, everyone is afraid of getting tired.

It's those who learn to perform when they're tired that find success.

- J. Robinson

Back in the "day" my wrestling coach was also my football coach and most of our games were on a Friday night.  After a victory he would sometimes back down from his "women will make you weak during season" rant and tell us to " Take our girlie-friends on down to the local gedunk stand and buy her some pogey-bait."   

Any guesses to the Southern Indiana Coach to whom this phrase may be attributed?

Maybe Joe Gossman ?

DING! DING! DING!  We have a winner.  It was indeed the (in)famous Coach Joe Gossman.  Someone has done their homework.  He was also known to have uttered several other wise observations but those might not be suitable for quoting on this board!!!.

I was in a dual at one point and we were winning by like 30 with 2 matches to go and the other head coach was screaming about how our kids were cheaters, yadda yadda. our coach responds with Sir your down by 30 points please coach your own kids...hahah still makes me laugh

"If that is all you got....Then you better pack it up and go home,  cause your in for a VERY long day."

" Anyone can be beat on any given day.  It is your choice if it is today."

"I don't care what his name is just get out there and beat his a@@"

Right before we wrestled a youth detention center "Yeah, I am sure they pat down their wrestlers before they get on the mat"

"If you ain't winning your LOSING"

"My Little sister can do better than that and I don't even have a little sister."

Right after one of our wrestlers threw up during a match "When you get done get back out there and beat this guy down."

We had this one up in the wrestling area at my High School.  Was a favorite of mine.

When I'd get tired and want to stop, I'd wonder what my next opponent was doing. I'd wonder if he was still working out. I tried to visualize him. When I could see him still working, I'd start pushing myself. When I could see him in the shower, I'd push myself harder. - Dan Gable

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.