Favorite Coach's Quotes

BlueBolt

Mater Dei coach Mike Goebel, to the official during the heavyweight match......

I realize (Chuck) that these guys are as quick as greased lightening, but do you think you get around there at least once and catch that locked hands?

Gibson Southern coach John Barnett, to official Steve Hunter....

Geez.... how long does it take to call a fall in Cicero? Down here in southern Indiana it's only two seconds!

These are great!  I always think of Mike with his vein popping saying, "Mr. Referee" with the rule book in hand!

"Outside those doors (to the wrestling room) you WILL be gentlemen.  You WILL show respect, and you WILL be Men.  Inside this room, you WILL be the most Brutal Bastards on the planet."

And YES that is a a quote...

My dad always said a short version of that: "Gentleman off the man, animal on."

Coach Goeble before any tournament:

IT'S MATER DEI AGAINST THE WORLD!

Before almost evry practice : 25 4-1 let's go!

You can eat after wrestling season

You can sleep "          "                    "

You can  watch TV.......

You can get fat after graduation

You'll never be in as good as shape as you are in highschool wrestling season

Back when I was in high school if you wanted to play football for Coach Robbins then you had to wrestle for Coach McDaniel at  Southport High School.

So we would have a room full at every practice.I could't wrestle very good so Coach McDaniel often would say to me:

"Boy--- why don't you go run some laps while these other boys wrestle.Come back for the "firing line".

My 2 yrs on the "firing line" were against Danny Carr and Phil Sidebottom.Both were State Champs.I hated that!!

The only other thing I really remeber Coach McDaniel saying was   "3 whacks or 3 days",  he was also the Dean of Boys in those days and he meant what he said he had a paddle with holes in it and about 3 feet long!!

You had to take the whacks!It was a no brainer or you could get worse at home! LOL

He was a real character does anyone else on the board remember Coach McDaniel?

I wrestled for Chauncey, he was also my drivers ed teacher.

One time about 1977, on the side of the mat he was yelling

"Eddie...Eddie...it ain't working... you can't out smart em... your gonna have to

out dumb em".

"Garbage is anything out of place, if your eating an egg and it goes in your mouth it's food, if

it falls on your shirt it's garbage.  If your in your class, your a student, if your in the deens office, your out of place".

"You drive like you are... If you start with a jerk, and you stop with a jerk, then your a jerk". ;D ;D

Thanks TK, i registered.

Coach: "Can I get penalized for what I am thinking?"

Ref: "No, I have never heard of anything like that.  Why?"

Coach: "Cause I think you suck!"  :D

Coach: "How do you spell your name anyway?"

Ref: "r-e-f"

Coach: "Just like you call a match, with no 'i's'!"  :-[

This is my personal favorite...  As the refs leave the hospitality room after lunch a coach blocks the hall with his arms out.  As the group of officials stops to hear what caused the concerned look on his face the coach begins to speak.  "Which one of you lost your cell phone," he says with the same concerned look as before.  The officials look at each other and suddenly they have the same confused look on their faces.  One speaks for the whole group, "None of us lost a phone!  Why?"  Coach replies, as he turns the phone over so everyone can see, "It has to belong to one of you ding-dongs.  It says right here 10 missed calls!"  :-*

I have to add that this is a true story.  One ref actually spouted a comeback as the coach walked past, "Just think coach, it's only noon..."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.