Favorite Coach's Quotes

BlueBolt

"To be early is to be on time, as to be on time is to be late, and to be late is inexcusalbe!"

-Bruce McGeth

Tech H.S. Track & Cross Country Coach

Social Studies Teacher

He had this on his blackboard his entire teaching career and always cautioned at the beginning of each semester, "Do not enter this classroom after the bell without a note from the dean."

This is an adage that I live by!

An OLDER SCHOOL Castle Quote:

In the middle of your 4th or 5th match of the day...After the 10 Stairlaps in 12 Minute, the conditioning, the drilling...The following person could be counted on to yell (in my ear every day for some reason!)

Mark Anderson:  "Where would you rather be boys?  Down at the Dairy Queen Suckin' on your girlfriend talkin' to a milkshake?"

You know, I want to post on this so bad.  But however former coach of Columbia City, Randy Kearby had so many great ones I cannot post them all so I will just give you a glimpse of what he would say....

1. You don't know beans from apple butter

2. You can take a flying bite out of a rolling donut

3. You're crazier than a hoot owl

4. You can con mom, can con dad, but you can't con the mirror on the wall

5. Integrity isn't what you're doing when everybody's watching, integrity is what you're doing at 3 o'clock on a Saturday night

6. Will you sit up please? This isn't Baywatch

7. Get in the "wheelbarrow"

8. I'm just as sure as God made little green apples

9. "Ka-nute" Rockne

and a few more

1. (story story story) and I am not trying to tell you horror stories. Thats H-O-R-R-O-R stories not W-H-O-R-E stories.

2. How many Kyle Woods do we have on this team? (just 1 coach) We actually had 1 on the team

3. You need to be on him like white on rice.

4. Need to be on him like flies on potato salad.

5. When your hips hit the mat it needs to be like puttin your hand on a hot stove.

6. Cut the cord, CUT THE CORD

7. Wrestling goes move to move like a chain goes link to link.

8. This guy is a hot dog with mustard ketchup and everything else on it.

9. I k now Im not 36-24-36 but I need all eyes on me.

and a few more

1) Just like Novocaine give it time and it works every time.

2) Just like Greyhound leave the driving to us.

3) You don't have to have the lead if you have the heart to come from behind.

4) You have to go out and wrestle like you have an atomic bomb in your jock.

5) (Whatever tirade he may be on he'd look  at a another coachand ask) "am I wrong?"

6) (After giving someone a good chewing for not listening he'd finish with) "and it's not a power struggle!" (and pantomime pulling a tug-o'-war rope.)

7) The ever-famous "Randy Kearby 5 step program. 1)Win Conference 2) Win Sectionals 3) Win Team Regional 4) Win Team Semi-State 5) Place at Team State

From the Early Days of the Bob Harmon era at Castle High School -

"Where's my Diet Coke?" - Heard at ever tourney in Castle's gym from 1984 to at least 1989.  One additional not by the end of the day there were diet coke cans sitting under every chair by every mat.    ;D

"It's ok, your mom still thinks your a good wrestler."

"Son, you got your ars kicked on the handshake."

After calling an excessively hard head slap, "It's not a pillow fight ref."

A teammate quit for a few days and went home to enjoy mom's homecooking.  Upon returning he heard, "Stewart!  Are you asleep or just so fat you can't open your eyes?"

I know this isnt a quote but i remember watching the same motivational movies (Iowa: The Season, PRE, etc.) and getting the same handouts.

And of course listening to "Proper State of Mind"

Every. single. year

My high school coaches would say at the begining of the third now this is where you kick it " Time to Break him" we did our cardo on the beach in the sand alot of time so in the third period we would still be bouncing full of energy.

I like Charlie's as well heard that many times from Coach Wright!!

(older) Coach Patch - "How many lights are there in this gym? If you know the answer you're doing something wrong, never count lights!"

Coach Bailey - "It's a red flag day. That means we go until you puke, and I like to watch people puke."

Mater Dei coach Mike Goebel, to the official during the heavyweight match......

I realize (Chuck) that these guys are as quick as greased lightening, but do you think you get around there at least once and catch that locked hands?

Gibson Southern coach John Barnett, to official Steve Hunter....

Geez.... how long does it take to call a fall in Cicero? Down here in southern Indiana it's only two seconds!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.