You haven't seen anything

You haven't seen anything: We are weighing in teams for a tournament, and as the wrestler steps on the scale, and it was one of those nurses scales. The bar hits the top and then comes back down, now this happens all of the time but what happens next doesn't. We notice the coach is standing closer than usual, so we ask him to step back from his wrestler, and he does, and as he does the bar hits the top, and he is over. ???

The coach had his thumb lifting up on his wrestlers butt cheek. ;D

At the same tournament a few years later I am weighing in a team from Julian High School, and this wrestler is .4 over and the coach comes up to me and says, come on man, he's just a little over, and later in the day as they are getting ready to leave he and I are talking, and I asked him how he liked Indiana wrestling? And  he said Man you guys is sticklers for the rule. And as Doniie Bakker would say I swear to god he did. :o

I have more but with all of the negative things going on lets hear some good ones. :P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wrestler shakes his opponents hand, I blow the whistle and he gets pinned, and this a varstiy match. He gets up and goes back the color line he started on, and I tell him to remove his ankle band, and he looks at me and says in practice we go the best out of three, I swear to god he did. ;D

Same tournament and this is why the Polish get the bad rap they do, this official aka Komo, is weighing in wrestlers on a scale next to me, and I hear him tell this kid he is 8 lbs. over, now this is back when you had an hour to run or what ever, we are weighing the wrestlers in on the pool deck of this high school, so this kid takes off running for the remainder of the hour. I tell this young man he has a couple of minutes to step on the scale, and he dries off and comes to my scale and I ask him what weight class? He tells me and I set the bar, and he steps on and it doesn't move, I keep slidding it down to which I asked Komo what the hell weight class did you weigh this kid in? ???

He had this wrestler in the wrong weight class, this kid ran for an hour, and could hardly stand on the scale, and I am sure he didn't have a very good day from that point forward.  I swear to god he did! ::)

after shaking hands i blow the whistle. 12 seconds later there is a fall. the wrestlers return to center to shake hands. the wrestler that was pinned looked at his opponent and said " dude, yer f%&*ing strong! you just kicked my f&$@ing a%$. that was said as a complement and not negitive towards his opponent. i dont care who you are, thats funny!

Same tournament and this is why the Polish get the bad rap they do, this official aka Komo, is weighing in wrestlers on a scale next to me, and I hear him tell this kid he is 8 lbs. over, now this is back when you had an hour to run or what ever, we are weighing the wrestlers in on the pool deck of this high school, so this kid takes off running for the remainder of the hour. I tell this young man he has a couple of minutes to step on the scale, and he dries off and comes to my scale and I ask him what weight class? He tells me and I set the bar, and he steps on and it doesn't move, I keep slidding it down to which I asked Komo what the hell weight class did you weigh this kid in? ???

He had this wrestler in the wrong weight class, this kid ran for an hour, and could hardly stand on the scale, and I am sure he didn't have a very good day from that point forward.  I swear to god he did! ::)

That there is funny. 

Quite a few years back... At an iswa Greco tourney...

A kid "weighs in" to wrestle Cadet 132 and "makes weight". During the touney, some of the parents of the other wrestler notice that this kid is considerably larger than their children. Finally the parents convince the tournament director to make this kid weigh again (this is only about 2 hours after the original weigh ins)... The kid steps on the scale and weighs in at 154 lbs!!! His coach then tries to say "he drank a gallon of water after weigh ins"... And they actually let the kid finish wrestling that night. It was so unbelievable!!! But it is very true...

I don't care who you are... No one can gain 22 lbs in an hour...

If its any consolation, he dominated the tournament ;D

This season one of our wrestlers was competing in the conference tournament.  His opponent was doing is very best to psych-up prematch...typical slapping legs stern looks, etc.  When they came together at the center to shake hands, our guy says, "So you're name is Niles?" just before the whistle blows.  Not sure how the other guy kept from laughing out loud.  Our guy got pinned in about :53.

I was working the Lake Station Super dual ten to fifteen years ago, and I had this kid who made Napolion Dinamite look like Charles Atlas, and all this kid did was bob up and down and slap the mat. That was his offense, and his team mates are yelling shoot Julio shoot, and I am talking to my self just prior to hitting him for stalling, hell this kid probly has shot in the whole month of December. ;D

So I get assinghed to the Crown Point individual regionals, and I know there is a law of averages, but I do a few matches and of all the odds in the world sure enough, here comes this Julio kid, and again he shakes hands and proceeds to stand there and bob up and down and slap the mat, I can tell he has been working on his take downs for the past two months.

And again his team mates are yelling shoot Julio shoot, to which all he does is bob up and down and slap the mat, to which all I did was hit him for stalling. :P

His day was over before it got started,  and I can still hear thoughs cries for him to shoot, and I have ten dollars that say's he still hasn't taken a shot, how he ever got out of a sectional is beyond me. ???

I was working the Lake Station Super dual ten to fifteen years ago, and I had this kid who made Napolion Dinamite look like Charles Atlas, and all this kid did was bob up and down and slap the mat. That was his offense, and his team mates are yelling shoot Julio shoot, and I am talking to my self just prior to hitting him for stalling, hell this kid probly has shot in the whole month of December. ;D

So I get assinghed to the Crown Point individual regionals, and I know there is a law of averages, but I do a few matches and of all the odds in the world sure enough, here comes this Julio kid, and again he shakes hands and proceeds to stand there and bob up and down and slap the mat, I can tell he has been working on his take downs for the past two months.

And again his team mates are yelling shoot Julio shoot, to which all he does is bob up and down and slap the mat, to which all I did was hit him for stalling. :P

His day was over before it got started,  and I can still hear thoughs cries for him to shoot, and I have ten dollars that say's he still hasn't taken a shot, how he ever got out of a sectional is beyond me. ???

That may be one of the best mental images of all times. This is a great thread, thanks for the laughs.

In a heavyweight match earlier this year, I had a kid getting set to start on top in the referee's position who kept grabbing the elbow first. I kept explaining to him that he had to go belly first then elbow, but he kept repeating the violation. I went so far as to tell him to take the hand he was placing on the elbow and put it behind his back to avoid the temptation of grabbing the elbow first. That still didn't help! So I physically helped get him set, taking him by the hand, telling him to keep his other hand behind his back until I told him to place it on the elbow. As I placed the hand, I held, on the opponents belly he says, "Oh, I thought you meant my belly first" as he pointed to his belly on the opponents back. I could barely blow my whistle to restart the match for trying not to laugh. Guess I should've instructed navel instead of belly! ::)

Back in the day...I once watched a coach - at the direction of a ref - cut a kids hair (when that mattered) because the ref said it was to long.  The struggle was almost painful to watch as the young man protested and whined the entire time.  The coach basically had to hold the kid still with one hand and cut hair with the other.  The jawing back and forth was HILARIOUS!!!!!!

The coach finished and told the kid to report to the Ref for his check, and the kid turns and yell "It was Billy's hair that was to long NOT MINE!"

I just about messed myself!

Back in the day...I once watched a coach - at the direction of a ref - cut a kids hair (when that mattered) because the ref said it was to long.   The struggle was almost painful to watch as the young man protested and whined the entire time.  The coach basically had to hold the kid still with one hand and cut hair with the other.   The jawing back and forth was HILARIOUS!!!!!!

The coach finished and told the kid to report to the Ref for his check, and the kid turns and yell "It was Billy's hair that was to long NOT MINE!"

I just about messed myself!

i bet it was with really dull scissors too!

At a tournament earlier this year I had a wrestler come out and I handed him the ankle band, and he said what do I do with this?

This was in January not at the begining of the season, now I figure this guy is not going to far well against his opponent, but he almost got the take down before being put on his back and getting pinned.

Years ago a fellow official comes off the mat laughing, and myself and the other officials ask whats so funny? And he say's, this kind of soft looking kid comes out grabs his ankle band, and bends over to put it on and sees his opponent coming out, who is a well put together wrestler, and he looks at Tom Condon and says, I don't like the looks of this, and Tom gently slapped the mat to save this young man from any undue pain and suffering.

I once officiated a freshman tournament the first weekend of the season and one team showed up much later than the other teams.  They had missed weigh-ins, but we just had all the school's kids go directly into the weigh-in area and weigh in.  After we finish, the coach is like, "Wait, where's Johnson? Johnson didn't weigh in."  Everybody rushes around to find Johnson and he had slipped into the bathroom on the way in the school.  Someone finds him and brings him into the weigh-in area.  The coaches beg us to bend the rules and let him weigh in because it was a freshman open the first weekend of the season and they had driven 3 hours to get there with no bathroom stops (and the kid had snuck off to the bathroom on his own).  We deliberated a bit and allowed it.  The kid takes off his clothes to step on the scale and he's completely soiled.  His whitey tighties had become whitey brownish-greenies and his legs were totally covered in diarrhea.  We all just watch in shock (and pity).  The kid steps off the scale; the coach tells him to go get a full shower before he dresses to wrestle; and he preps himself,  goes out, and promptly gets pinned twice to end his day.  I never got word on if he ever wrestled again.

Quite a few years back... At an iswa Greco tourney...

A kid "weighs in" to wrestle Cadet 132 and "makes weight". During the touney, some of the parents of the other wrestler notice that this kid is considerably larger than their children. Finally the parents convince the tournament director to make this kid weigh again (this is only about 2 hours after the original weigh ins)... The kid steps on the scale and weighs in at 154 lbs!!! His coach then tries to say "he drank a gallon of water after weigh ins"... And they actually let the kid finish wrestling that night. It was so unbelievable!!! But it is very true...

I don't care who you are... No one can gain 22 lbs in an hour...

If its any consolation, he dominated the tournament ;D

This kid's last name wouldn't happen to start with a K and end with an omo would it?

In a heavyweight match earlier this year, I had a kid getting set to start on top in the referee's position who kept grabbing the elbow first. I kept explaining to him that he had to go belly first then elbow, but he kept repeating the violation. I went so far as to tell him to take the hand he was placing on the elbow and put it behind his back to avoid the temptation of grabbing the elbow first. That still didn't help! So I physically helped get him set, taking him by the hand, telling him to keep his other hand behind his back until I told him to place it on the elbow. As I placed the hand, I held, on the opponents belly he says, "Oh, I thought you meant my belly first" as he pointed to his belly on the opponents back. I could barely blow my whistle to restart the match for trying not to laugh. Guess I should've instructed navel instead of belly! ::)

Wow.  :)

Wish we still had the list of excuses my old coach had posted on the wall.  It came with 100 pre-printed ones, but since that point the team had added about 15-20 more funny new ones from real life team issues.  Some are more inside jokes but this one I'm sure has happened in some compacity before.  

When I was wrestling out 112 point wrestler told coach he was a 0.8 under weight 15 minutes before wiegh-ins.  At weigh-ins he was 1.3 points over weight.  Obviously coach was ticked off and asked what the heck happened.  He said he didn't understand because all he had was a small bite of granola bar and a cap full of Gaterade.  The coach went as far as to break off a piece if granola bar and fill up a cap of Gaterade and put it on the scale to show him what it weighed.  The coach then looked right at him and asked where he gets his giant caps of Gaterade at.

Wish we still had the list of excuses my old coach had posted on the wall.  It came with 100 pre-printed ones, but since that point the team had added about 15-20 more funny new ones from real life team issues.  Some are more inside jokes but this one I'm sure has happened in some compacity before.  

When I was wrestling out 112 point wrestler told coach he was a 0.8 under weight 15 minutes before wiegh-ins.  At weigh-ins he was 1.3 points over weight.  Obviously coach was ticked off and asked what the heck happened.  He said he didn't understand because all he had was a small bite of granola bar and a cap full of Gaterade.  The coach went as far as to break off a piece if granola bar and fill up a cap of Gaterade and put it on the scale to show him what it weighed.  The coach then looked right at him and asked where he gets his giant caps of Gaterade at.

Very funny.  "All I did was drink water" will always be my all-time favorite for this situation.

Imagine this Team A is beating Team B 36-30 in a dual meet. It is the last match and wrestler B is putting it to Wrestler A when coach A calls the ref to the bench arguing that wrestler B should have gotten NF points for that last move. And coach b argues that wrestler A was never in criteria. Obvisiouly coach A wanted a tech fall and coach B wanted a pin but I had never seen a coach argue for points for the othe team.  Lol

Imagine this Team A is beating Team B 36-30 in a dual meet. It is the last match and wrestler B is putting it to Wrestler A when coach A calls the ref to the bench arguing that wrestler B should have gotten NF points for that last move. And coach b argues that wrestler A was never in criteria. Obvisiouly coach A wanted a tech fall and coach B wanted a pin but I had never seen a coach argue for points for the othe team.  Lol

In a similar story I can say at a middle school meet I did argued against my wrestle getting a takedown to save the locked hands call.  I was saying my wrestler hadn't gotten the takedown yet (he was hanging on the legs but had not worked up to the body) so without control their was no locked hands.  The ref said he couldn't understand why I didn't want the takedown 2 and just conceed the locked hands 1 for a 1 point lead.  I told him if he didn't call the takedown way early my wrestler would have work up the legs to gain true control thus getting a legit takedown 2, and been in control without locking his hands for a 2-0 lead.  It still didn't sink in to him why I was arguing against our own takedown so my wrestler had a 1 point lead though.  Only time I ever argued againt my own wrestler getting a takedown.

Years ago my wife asked me to take her and my daughters, and friends of ours and they're two daughters to a minor league baseball game for 4th of July fireworks. So she told me I should get tickets ahead of time, but I didn't and we show up and it's a sell out.

This guy I know who helps coach wrestling at Mishawak at the time is working security for the ball park and sees me standing in line and asked me how I am doing, and I proceed to tell him I brought all of these people to this game and don't have any tickets, so he lowers the rope and takes us out beyond the wall in center field and tells me if anyone says anything to tell them he said we could sit there.

I didn't tell you he also is a professional wrestler named Brian the Brain Costello, so the game goes on, and later they always have a bunch of yougsters come out and run the bases against the mascot, name Covey. So all of these kids are running with Covey, and usually they always beat Covey to home plate and crowd cheers.

But on this night Covey is knocking the kids down tripping them as they round third coming for home, and the crowd is booing Covey because he never wins. So just before Covey reaches home plate this figure comes out of the home teams dugout and get to Covey just before he reaches home plate, and high crotches him and slams him to the ground, and all of the kids pass this carnage and touch home plate and everyone stands and cheers.

And the two little girls that are with my little girls turn and look at me and say is that Hulk Hogan?

And my two daughters turn and say no, thats my daddies friend, and all four went WOW!!!

ha my freshman year we had these 2 guys that we were the school class clowns, they would do all kinds of pranks and what not, they always wore hooters uniforms to cheer in at the basketball games ha whatever they could do to get a few laughs... so that being said these 2 guys would always have there gf's give them a pair of there underwear the night b4 a meet, ha so come morning and weigh ins you would always see 2 guys walking around the locker room with extra small female panties... haha im not gnna lie i still laugh just thinkin about those 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.