Weight loss question?

wrestlingsis

You're right, sis; rules apply to everyone in the state EXCEPT Mt. Vernon.

Sheesh, do you honestly believe the other coaches would have let the MV staff get away with something like that if it weren't legal?  Why don't you ask the coach of whatever team you're rooting for about it.  And before you ask, yes, I was there.  Mt. Vernon was not the only team in the Big 8 who had a wrestler drop weight classes like that.  I don't know how often it happens but I'm betting it'll happen some more next week when the seeding for the sectional happens.

I believe the bylaws state that you cannot wrestle below your minimum wt during the state tournament season.  There is no rule to prevent a wrestler from wrestling below their minimum wt during the year.  Also there is a physician appeal and parental approval to go below minimum body fat %.  During weighins whatever weight class a wrestler makes he/she is eligible to wrestle that weight class plus the one above.  During the state tournament season the wrestler must meet the weight reduction requirements to wrestle their wt class.

I believe the bylaws state that you cannot wrestle below your minimum wt during the state tournament season.  There is no rule to prevent a wrestler from wrestling below their minimum wt during the year.  Also there is a physician appeal and parental approval to go below minimum body fat %.  During weighins whatever weight class a wrestler makes he/she is eligible to wrestle that weight class plus the one above.  During the state tournament season the wrestler must meet the weight reduction requirements to wrestle their wt class.

Actually, the only penalty for wrestling below your certified weight is......... The head coach cannot coach in the state tourney for the rest of the year! There is also a date that you cannot get to that weight to early. Doesn't mean that you can't weigh 145 on Friday, and wrestle 135 Saturday. It's not healthy, but I imagine it happens.

Mount Vernon was not the only team that had wrestler(s) drop weight class, BUT they were the only team to have wrestlers drop THREE weight classes!

You are correct.  But neither you nor I know what he weighed during the year.  He could have been, as was stated, 138 lbs. and wrestled up a weight class.  Dropping to 130 from there isn't as bad as it sounds.  Or he could have weighed 144 lbs. and it is a bad as it seems.  I don't know how common this is around the state.

And, to the best of my knowledge (limited as it is), it was one wrestler, not wrestlers.

Ok, so a wrestler weighs in at 147 even for conference, and he has already made scratch weight at 140 and has at least 6 qualifying weights. Can that same wrestler go down to 142(140lb. weight class) for sectional. The real question is, can he lose more than 1.5% of his body weight in that one week to wrestle the 140lb weight class in sectional?

Ok, so a wrestler weighs in at 147 even for conference, and he has already made scratch weight at 140 and has at least 6 qualifying weights. Can that same wrestler go down to 142(140lb. weight class) for sectional. The real question is, can he lose more than 1.5% of his body weight in that one week to wrestle the 140lb weight class in sectional?

I'd love to know the answer to this question!

I'd love to know the answer to this question!

Until the rules committee clarifies the wording of this better the real answer is really up in the air.  I would say the spirit of the rule says you should have to follow the 1.5% each week.  However, the written rule is fuzzy enough that you can get by with saying just follow the minimum weight plan as a whole.

I am SOOOOO glad I'm out of coaching and don't have to put up with crap like this.  Takes the fun out of the sport for me.  I just wish if there had been questions about the weights of some individuals they would have been brought up face-to-face at the seed meeting. 

theckman, which "crap" are you referring to? The fact that the weight loss rule is clear as mud or the fact that some coaches might find loop holes in the rules to allow their wrestler to drop that much weight even though we can all agree it is not healthy for the wrestler? The powers that be should clarify the rule so that it is crystal clear and not allow wrestlers to participate if the rule is not heeded to the letter!

I think there is three questions that need to be ask.  What does his weight mangement plan say he can wrestle on Saturday?  What was his weight at the last wrestling meet?  What does his weight management plan say he can lose each week (1.5%). 

For example...If his weight management plan says he can weigh 128.8.  His last meet he weighed in at 134 and his weight management plan says he can lose 2.5 pounds per week...than he can wrestle 130 (132). 

This happen a lot...kids droping weight class or classes.  I don't think MT. Vernon is doing anything wrong.

Good Luck at the Big 8 conference!

At the tournament that we went to in Ohio earlier in the season, their coaches were taking the whole weight loss plan a step further.  Ohio's coaches were printing off weigh in sheets from the weight loss program's website.  The program made them specify which weight each wrestler was competing at and if it was lower than their individual plan said they could go, then the program wouldn't let them be entered at that weight.

Now, this was very early in Ohio's season and some of the coaches didn't even know about having to do that.  It was explained to me that it was for research data to see how many wrestlers were actually dropping to their lowest allowable weights and if they were doing it correctly. 

I don't know if anything like this will happen in Indiana, and I'm not certain if I like or dislike the whole idea of it.  But it does put a new spin on the issue.

In North Carolina each team has a Friday(I believe) weigh-in where a kid has to show he is adhering to his weight loss plan and its recalculated from that day.  To me that is taking it too far and you are making kids be extremely too careful about their weight. 

Wonder if it isn't long, till the powers that be, randomly show up unannounced, for surprise weight checks! That'd be fun!

theckman, which "crap" are you referring to? The fact that the weight loss rule is clear as mud or the fact that some coaches might find loop holes in the rules to allow their wrestler to drop that much weight even though we can all agree it is not healthy for the wrestler? The powers that be should clarify the rule so that it is crystal clear and not allow wrestlers to participate if the rule is not heeded to the letter!

I was referring to the weight loss rule.  And if the loop holes you are referring to are legal, what's the big deal?  If they're not, then something needs to be done.  If the wrestler in question was weighing 138 way back at Thanksgiving and dropped to 130, I don't consider that a loophole.  Wrestling up one weight class then dropping one is not much or a drop, is it?  Again, I don't know how prevalent this is around the state but I'd be surprised to find out Mt. Vernon is the only team who has had wrestlers do this.  If you're at the Big 8 tomorrow, I'll be the fat guy in the purple shirt behind the computer if you'd like to discuss this in person. :)

Where in the weight loss rules and information does it state that your plan is changed after each weigh-in?

The wrestlers individual weight loss form tells you how much the wrestler can lose each week. For example if you weighed 200lbs on the day you did the skinfold test you would take 200 x .015 (the 1.5% of your weight you are allowed to lose each week) and you get 3lbs. If you lose 3 pounds each week that is ok. If you go four weeks without losing any weight and then cut 12 pounds between weeks four and five you did not follow your plan. So even if your plan says that on week five you could weigh 185 (3lbs per week times 5 weeks) that is only if you have followed the plan. On week four if you weigh-in at 200 you are not following the rules if you then cut 15lbs for the next week.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.