Rankings Updated Jan. 17th at 2:30 AM Eastern

RankingsGuy

new update is posted with plenty of info from the last wk's events including this weekend... as always.. questions, comments, concerns, etc. are welcome since i'm sure i missed a few things.. the more info i receive the better these rankings will be so lets generate some discussion! ALSO,  just an FYI, we will be having another chat with the rankingsguy sometime in the very near future to answer specific rankings questions. exact time and date will be coming soon.

Brandt lost to dale 6-3. Dale got an early takedown in the match and brandt got a reversal and rode dale out the remaining of the first period. Second period brandt got called for stalling 3x on top and trailed 4-2 going into the third. Brandt got a quick escape and worked to get a takedown. Brandt tried a desperation takedown with about ten seconds left and got taken down losing 6-3. Good match

so you dropped dylan green to 7th? He is still undefeated and placed 8th last year. I guess oak hill sectional schools never get any respect though, o well you will see him higher then 7th at state.

Respect is earned, not given.  Green has to be strong though, an 8th place finish is solid.

Glad to see Voegel (Reitz) in the rankings.  He seems to be coming on of late and has yet to peak.  He lost twice in the past 3 days to (highly ranked)  Simms (MD) and D. Welch (CA) but was in both matches and they could've gone either way.  His funky style is hard to prepare for and is quite entertaining to watch.

so you dropped dylan green to 7th? He is still undefeated and placed 8th last year. I guess oak hill sectional schools never get any respect though, o well you will see him higher then 7th at state.

Just because a wrestler placed 8th last year does not necessarly mean he will be as good or the competition hasn't gotten better this year. My guess on Dylan is wins vs a common opponent dropped him in rankings. Against Jacquet, Dylan won 3-2 and Smitherman beat Jacquet 11-1. Smitherman moved up, Dylan dropped and Jacquet vanished from rankings. Now whether Smitherman can defeat Dylan head to head...who knows. Hopefully they will both make it to state and get the chance.

Just because a wrestler placed 8th last year does not necessarly mean he will be as good or the competition hasn't gotten better this year. My guess on Dylan is wins vs a common opponent dropped him in rankings. Against Jacquet, Dylan won 3-2 and Smitherman beat Jacquet 11-1. Smitherman moved up, Dylan dropped and Jacquet vanished from rankings. Now whether Smitherman can defeat Dylan head to head...who knows. Hopefully they will both make it to state and get the chance.

I simply wish that these ranking would not be updated until middle of the week, or @ minimum wait until Sunday evening when more results are posted. For example today i read Mcdaniel is out for season, Daniel Cambell pops up in the rankings and I just read on another thread he finished 5th in tournament over the weekend, & Green falls behind someone who also lost yesterday, and he is undefeated. These issues are only in the 215 class so I bet there are several other similar issues in all the classes.  I do appriciate all the effort that goes into this, but it just doesn't make sense to me to post rankings before results are all in. If these results were all known by the rankingsguy,  then I definately don't understand how they work. ???

i agree with heartbraker, im not saying dylan green will place top 3 or whatever but there are three guys ahead of him that have losses and did not place last year where as dylan did place and has not lost and beat good wrestlers, i believe that is enough to "earn" credit..just my opinion tho

I simply wish that these ranking would not be updated until middle of the week, or @ minimum wait until Sunday evening when more results are posted. For example today i read Mcdaniel is out for season, Daniel Cambell pops up in the rankings and I just read on another thread he finished 5th in tournament over the weekend, & Green falls behind someone who also lost yesterday, and he is undefeated. These issues are only in the 215 class so I bet there are several other similar issues in all the classes.  I do appriciate all the effort that goes into this, but it just doesn't make sense to me to post rankings before results are all in. If these results were all known by the rankingsguy,  then I definately don't understand how they work. ???

215 is a very dynamic weight class this year.  My son is Daniel Campbell (if it isn't obvious) and did a great job of wrestling ill Saturday to help his team win the conference title.  Vice from Jeff and Sumner from McCutcheon make their sectional a meat grinder!  I see two and maybe all three with a shot at being state qualifiers, depending on their draws at SS.  I see them as 1,2,3 in their regional.  The order will be determined that day!!!  All are nice kids too....all deserve good things!

215 is a very dynamic weight class this year.  My son is Daniel Campbell (if it isn't obvious) and did a great job of wrestling ill Saturday to help his team win the conference title.  Vice from Jeff and Sumner from McCutcheon make their sectional a meat grinder!  I see two and maybe all three with a shot at being state qualifiers, depending on their draws at SS.  I see them as 1,2,3 in their regional.  The order will be determined that day!!!  All are nice kids too....all deserve good things!

I only used that class as an example Sir, I definately didn't mean it as a slam on your son. I have followed the results & know Daniel is a fine Wrestler and also know the Ring's aren't handed out according to these rankings. I only meant that the rankings might be more accurate after all the results were known and alot of them don't come in until Sunday Eve. or Monday. Good Luck to Daniel & all the other fine young wrestlers trying to make their way to a State Title!

I will be the first to admit that 215 is ridiculous.. There are two guys at the top that are head and shoulders above everyone else in the state and then there are about 20 kids with tons of common opponents mixed around and one point wins and one point losses each way. There is absolutely no consistency at this weight class whatsoever.  I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea about 215.  Outside of Cleveland, Lentz, and Green, none of the rest have any state experience, and there are plenty of kids here that have never even made it out of the regional, and plenty more that are wrestling varsity for their first time this season.  Such is the case when so many seniors graduate from this weight the year before.  The rest of the weight classes fill out nicely and common opponents pretty much rank themselves, but 215 has no trends whatsoever.  I really feel like outside of Cleveland and Lentz, I could pull 14 names out of a hat and be just as accurate as I have it now.

215 lbs.

Rank Name Grade School State Experience Notable Wins and Losses

1) Nathan Cleveland 12 Lowell 3rd at 215 in '09 "Win vs. Nacovski by Fall, Win vs. Lentz 4-2,

Win vs. Seaman by Fall"

2) Christian Lentz 12 Mishawaka 2nd at 215 in '09 "Win vs. Bollenbacher, Win vs. Bultemeier 7-0,

Loss vs. Cleveland 2-4, Win vs. Cooper 13-1"

3) Dylan Froehlich 12 Tell City

4) Sam Balbach 11 Mt. Vernon (Fortville) "Loss vs. Eckert by Fall, Win vs. Valentin by Fall,

Win vs. Smitherman 5-3, Win vs. Neff 6-0"

5) Kyle Smitherman 11 Pendleton Heights "Win vs. Forman by Fall, Win vs. Bultemeier by Fall,

Win vs. Jacquet 11-1, Loss vs. Balbach 3-5,

Loss vs. Neff 3-5 in 2OT"

6) Vlade Nacovski 12 Lake Central "Loss vs. Cleveland by Fall, Win vs. Bultemeier 8-5,

Win vs. Seaman 9-4, Loss vs. Seaman 4-5"

7) Dylan Green 12 Kokomo 8th at 215 in '09 "Win vs. Jacquet 4-2, Win vs. D. Scott (189) 3-2 in 2OT,

Win vs. Vice 3-2"

9) Daniel Campbell 10 Lafayette Harrison Win vs. Vice 15-8

10) Joe Gallegos 10 South Bend Clay "Loss vs. McDaniel 1-3, Loss vs. Neff 4-7,

Win vs. Seaman by Fall"

11) Curtis Vice 12 Lafayette Jefferson "Win vs. D. Scott (189) 8-4, Win vs. Seaman,

Loss vs. Green 2-3, Loss vs. Campbell 8-15"

12) Jack Seaman 11 Munster "Loss vs. Gallegos by Fall, Loss vs. Vice,

Loss vs. Nacovski 4-9, Win vs. Nacovski 5-4,

Loss vs. Cleveland by Fall"

13) Andrew Bultemeier 12 Bellmont "Loss vs. Lentz 0-7, Loss vs. Nacovski 5-8,

Loss vs. Smitherman by Fall, Win vs. Daugherty by Fall,

Win vs. Cooper 8-3"

14) Jacob VanDeventer 12 Bloomington North Win vs. Cooper 4-1

15) Logan Cooper 11 Perry Meridian "Win vs. Wright 1-0, Win vs. Daugherty 8-1,

Loss vs. Lentz 1-13, Loss vs. Bultemeier 3-8,

Win vs. Buchanan 8-1, Loss vs. VanDeventer 1-4"

16) Evan Wooding 12 Mooresville "Win vs. Wright 7-5 in OT, Win vs. Mills 4-3,

Win vs. Daugherty 4-3"

hm Brad Mills 11 Homestead "Win vs. D. Scott (189) by Inj. Def.,

Loss vs. Wooding 3-4"

hm Arthur Wright 12 Indianapolis Arsenal Tech Loss vs. Wooding 5-7 in OT, Loss vs. Cooper 0-1

hm Ron Forman 12 South Dearborn Win vs. Pratt, Win vs. Valentin, Loss vs. Smitherman by Fall

hm Tito Valentin 12 Bloomington South "Win vs. Pratt 8-6, Win vs. Collett, Loss vs. Forman,

Loss vs. Balbach by Fall"

hm Travis Daugherty 12 Castle "Loss vs. Collett 1-6, Win vs. Neff,

Loss vs. Cooper 1-8, Loss vs. Bultemeier by Fall,

Win vs. Collett 5-4, Loss vs. Wooding 3-4"

hm Mark Collett 11 Jennings County "Win vs. Pratt, Loss vs. Valentin, Win vs. Neff,

Win vs. Daugherty 6-1, Loss vs. Daugherty 4-5"

hm Scott Neff 11 Yorktown "Win vs. Gallegos 7-4, Loss vs. Collett, Loss vs. Daugherty,

Loss vs. Balbach 0-6, Win vs. Smitherman 5-3 in 2OT"

hm Andy Jacquet 12 Clinton Central Loss vs. Green 2-4, Loss vs. Smitherman 1-11

hm Jake Buchanan 12 Indianapolis Cathedral "Win vs. Devyak (285) by Fall, Loss vs. Melby (285),

Win vs. Jackson (285) 13-5, Win vs. Boley (285) 8-6,

Loss vs. Cooper 1-8"

hm Jimmy Pratt 12 Jeffersonville "Win vs. Eckert 15-10, Loss vs. Valentin 6-8,

Loss vs. Forman, Loss vs. Collett,"

hm Clayton Eckert 12 Franklin Central Win vs. Balbach by Fall, Loss vs. Pratt 10-15

hm Seth Biberstine 10 Southern Wells

hm Alan Bollenbacher 11 Bremen Win vs. Vermillion (189), Loss vs. Lentz

That is the top 16 and the watch list.. if anyone can offer me a top 16 and a detailed reason for why people were put where they were, I'm all for the help!

I think pretty much all of that list has been mentioned at one point or another....so that's about as good as you can do with this group of kids!!!  Everyone gets a turn on the rankings since you only have 16 spots!!!  I never thought I'd be excited to see how the 215 class turned out, but this year seems like it's wide open. (other than the top spots)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.