best and worst sectionals and regionals

duck_and_run

Based on the current state rankings, I went through and put together some numbers for each sectional and regional heres what I found.  The average should be 7 for each sectional.

Top ten sectionals

1. Mishawaka sectional- 19 state ranked individuals( LaVille, Mishawaka, Mishawaka Marian, Penn, South Bend Adams, South Bend Clay, South Bend Riley,    South Bend St. Joseph?s, South Bend Washington.)

2.  Mooresville sextional- 15 state ranked(Center Grove, Franklin, Greenwood, Indian Creek, Martinsville, Monrovia, Mooresville, Whiteland.)

3.  Lawrence Central- 14 ranked(Indianapolis Arlington, Indianapolis Arsenal Technical, Indianapolis Bishop Chatard, Indianapolis Broad Ripple, Indianapolis Cathedral, Indianapolis Howe Academy, Indianapolis Manual, Indianapolis Scecina, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, North Central (Indianapolis).)

4.  Warren Central- 13 ranked(Beech Grove, Eastern Hancock, Franklin Central, Greenfield-Central, Mount Vernon (Fortville), New Palestine, Roncalli, Shelbyville, Triton Central, Warren Central)

5.  Castle sectional- 11 ranked (  Boonville, Castle, Gibson Southern, Heritage Hills, Princeton, South Spencer, Tecumseh, Tell City, Wood Memorial)

6.  3 way tie with 10

Evansville( Evansville Bosse, Evansville Central, Evansville Harrison, Evansville Mater Dei, Evansville Memorial, Evansville North, Evansville Reitz, Mount Vernon, North Posey)

Decatur Central( Ben Davis, Decatur Central, Indiana School for the Deaf, Indianapolis Attucks, Indianapolis Cardinal Ritter, Indianapolis Northwest, Indianapolis Washington, Park Tudor, Perry Meridian, Pike, Southport, Speedway)

Calumet-(Calumet, Gary Wallace, Gary West Side, Gary Wirt, Griffith, Hobart, Lake Station Edison, Merrillville, River Forest.)

)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 worst

1.  Twin Lakes- 0 ranked (Cass, Caston, Frontier, Logansport, North White, Pioneer, Rensselaer Central, South Newton, Twin Lakes, West Central, Winamac)

2 Southridge- 1 state ranked(Crawford County, Forest Park, Jasper, Mitchell, North Knox, Paoli, Pike Central, Southridge, Vincennes Lincoln, Washington.)

3.  tie with 3 between oakhill and peru and Shenandoah

Oakhill-(Eastbrook, Eastern (Greentown), Kokomo, Madison-Grant, Marion, Mississinewa, Northwestern, Oak Hill, Taylor, Western)

Peru- ( Huntington North, Maconaquah, Manchester, North Miami, Northfield, Peru, Southwood, Wabash, White?s.)

Shenandoah-  (Blue River Valley, Cambridge City Lincoln, Centerville, Hagerstown, Knightstown, New Castle, Northeastern, Richmond, Rushville, Shenandoah,  Tri)

best regionals average ranked wrestlers should be 14 per regional

1.Rochester(23 ranked)- Mishawaka and plymouth

1. Perry Meridian(23 Ranked)- Decatur Central and Warren Central

3.  Moorseville (22 ranked)-  Avon and Moorseville

4.  Castle (21 ranked)- Castle and Evansville Central

5.  Pendleton Hieghts(19 ranked)-  Hamilton Hieghts and Lawrence Central

Worst

1.  Peru- 4 ranked -Oak hill and Peru

2.  Jeffersonville- 5 ranked- Jeffersonville and Southridge

3.  Logansport- 6 ranked -Layfayette Jefferson and Twin Lakes

Good regional weights

112 Calumet 4 ranked

119 rochester 3 ranked

119 and 145 Carrol  3 ranked

hvy Jay County3 ranked

Is there really a good reason to talk about the worst sectionals in the state? I don't see a point in it, what does that tell the kids in those sectionals. I see it's a conversation piece, but I see no  benefit in the discussion other than to remind those sectionals that they are not up to par with other sectionals.

Why is it bad for those sectionals?  Its a fact and I would say besides Marion people they all know it.  I mean if nothing else it shows us some good areas to develope wrestling in the state.  Why do we always try to run from facts?  If we do not acknowledge the facts we will not better the states wrestling.  I can also call out the city of fort wayne for the fort wayne semi states failures in the past few years.  They are the second biggest city in Indiana and they only have 6 state ranked individuals.  Compare that to Indianapolis in the 20's, or Evansville at 10, or Southbend area with 15 and we see where the weak link is.  Now all we have to do is develope those areas to make the state better on a whole. 

In smaller areas Fort Wayne semi state is actually ahead of the rest of the state, but the lack of talented wrestlers in Fort Wayne hinders the Semi state year in and year out.  It really is a shame.

Why is it bad for those sectionals?  Its a fact and I would say besides Marion people they all know it.   I mean if nothing else it shows us some good areas to develope wrestling in the state.  Why do we always try to run from facts?  If we do not acknowledge the facts we will not better the states wrestling.  I can also call out the city of fort wayne for the fort wayne semi states failures in the past few years.  They are the second biggest city in Indiana and they only have 6 state ranked individuals.  Compare that to Indianapolis in the 20's, or Evansville at 10, or Southbend area with 15 and we see where the weak link is.  Now all we have to do is develope those areas to make the state better on a whole. 

In smaller areas Fort Wayne semi state is actually ahead of the rest of the state, but the lack of talented wrestlers in Fort Wayne hinders the Semi state year in and year out.  It really is a shame.

Ft Wayne's failings has a lot to do with FWCS eliminating all of the middle school wrestling programs.  It is hard for the High Schools to produce solid wrestlers up and down their lineups every year when they have zero feeder programs for the most part.  You look at most of the ranked wrestlers in the Ft Wayne are and they are coming from the surrounding school districts. 

Ft Wayne's failings has a lot to do with FWCS eliminating all of the middle school wrestling programs.  It is hard for the High Schools to produce solid wrestlers up and down their lineups every year when they have zero feeder programs for the most part.  You look at most of the ranked wrestlers in the Ft Wayne are and they are coming from the surrounding school districts. 

Speaking of Fort Wayne the New Haven Sectional only has 5 ranked wrestlers according to the new rankings.

However three of them are all in one weight!!!

Not having a feeder system would cripple and High School program.

This is a area where wrestler support from other parts of the state may be useful in helping to change the minds of the administrators in charge in the Ft. Wayne area.

Is anyone currently working on helping to change the loss of the middle school program in the Ft. Wayne area?

Not having a feeder system would cripple and High School program.

This is a area where wrestler support from other parts of the state may be useful in helping to change the minds of the administrators in charge in the Ft. Wayne area.

Is anyone currently working on helping to change the loss of the middle school program in the Ft. Wayne area?

It's all about $$$$.  They feel they are saving alot of money by not having these programs.  I am sure that there are several people who tried to keep them alive, but in the end the almighty dollar wins out.

It has everything to do with the middle school program.  A few years back going into snider to wrestle a duel meet was a real task now they fill about half a roster.  Granted they do have some solid individuals its a shame they can't even fill a lineup.  There are a few things going on to help with the health of Fort Wayne wrestling though.  I just saw that Talementus (sp) has opened his facilities up all year.  It would be nice to see a couple RTC pop up in the fort wayne area.  What really kills me is that Fort Wayne has great sports programs, and great facilities, and great wrestling families, but they have given up on wrestling all together. 

5 worst

1.  Twin Lakes- 0 ranked (Cass, Caston, Frontier, Logansport, North White, Pioneer, Rensselaer Central, South Newton, Twin Lakes, West Central, Winamac)

2 Southridge- 1 state ranked(Crawford County, Forest Park, Jasper, Mitchell, North Knox, Paoli, Pike Central, Southridge, Vincennes Lincoln, Washington.)

3.  tie with 3 between oakhill and peru and Shenandoah

Oakhill-(Eastbrook, Eastern (Greentown), Kokomo, Madison-Grant, Marion, Mississinewa, Northwestern, Oak Hill, Taylor, Western)

Peru- ( Huntington North, Maconaquah, Manchester, North Miami, Northfield, Peru, Southwood, Wabash, White?s.)

Shenandoah-  (Blue River Valley, Cambridge City Lincoln, Centerville, Hagerstown, Knightstown, New Castle, Northeastern, Richmond, Rushville, Shenandoah,   Tri)

I took a look at the trophy we won at the Twin Lakes Sectional last year and you wouldn't believe what it says on it,"Congratulations on winning the worst sectional in the state".  You know what? The boys who worked hard to win it our still very proud of it. Maybe instead you should point out that our sectional is comprised of 7 1a schools, 2 2a schools, and 2 3a schools.  We probably have the smallest average enrollment per school of any sectional.  Because yes size matters!  Please don't tell me we just don't work hard enough.  What would be your plan to "develop" better wrestling in our area?

Logansport by far...  I was assigned there once and it was the longest day in my life.  It's a crime to charge admission.

My mom told if I had nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.  I remember you there, I don't have anything at all to say.

Wow I didn't know that bringing up facts would make people so defensive.  I am taking nothing away from your team I am sure they work hard, I am just saying it gives these sectionals an unfair advantage in the state tournement.  I would also like to know what kind of youth programs they have.  How many of these schools have freestyle programs?  Thats where teams get better wrestling in the summer and year round.  Look at yorktown they travel all year round and it shows with quality wrestling.  There a smaller school and they are doing phenominal things.

Well you can look at any small school area in the state and they can produce quality wrestlers.  The ACAC Conference has more state quality wrestlers then Fort Wayne Does.  I would say over half those teams would walk in the twin lakes sectional.Most getting more then 10 wrestlers to regionals.

Wow I didn't know that bringing up facts would make people so defensive.  I am taking nothing away from your team I am sure they work hard, I am just saying it gives these sectionals an unfair advantage in the state tournement.  I would also like to know what kind of youth programs they have.  How many of these schools have freestyle programs?  Thats where teams get better wrestling in the summer and year round.  Look at yorktown they travel all year round and it shows with quality wrestling.  There a smaller school and they are doing phenominal things.

I didn't mean to sound like I was being defensive, I was going for sarcasm.  So you think that if you were in our Sectional you would do better in the state tournament? I invite you to go up to Merrilville and see if you can do better up there.  They take guys like you with your undefeated records and send you home crying.  Ask the Lafayette areas team how they like Merrillville.

i will say this with only 6 ranked guys in your regional your regional gets a bunch of guys with one seeds going into semi state that don't deserve to be and if your asking me if i would rather take my one seed at merriville or a 2 or 3 in fort wayne you bet your butt i would take the one seed at merriville more times then not.  So yeah it does give an unfair advantage.  Same thing goes with the weak Peru regional in fort wayne.

It is very obvious you have never been to Merrillville Semi State.  We go from the worst sectional to the toughest semi state.  You sir go from a tougher sectional to the easiest Semi-state.  I would prefer to make my way to state through Fort Wayne. By the way our guys "deserve" to be there. We didn't realign the Sectionals or Regionals the IHSAA did.

i just ran some more figures on the worst sectionals and regionals.  Southridge sectionals 103 results

1st-Jasper

2nd-Mitchel

3rd- Forfeit

4th- Forfeit

the other sectional tha feeds into it was Jeffersonville  there 103 results were

1st- jeff 2nd-coy cent  3rd-floyd cent  4th- new alb  5th- prov

This means there were only 7 wrestlers for 8 spots.  Actully 6 so the Jeff and coy central qualified for semi state from sectional.  This is a joke and it shows that restructuring must be done.  

i just ran some more figures on the worst sectionals and regionals.  Southridge sectionals 103 results

1st-Jasper

2nd-Mitchel

3rd- Forfeit

4th- Forfeit

the other sectional tha feeds into it was Jeffersonville  there 103 results were

1st- jeff 2nd-coy cent  3rd-floyd cent  4th- new alb  5th- prov

This means there were only 7 wrestlers for 8 spots.  Actully 6 so the Jeff and coy central qualified for semi state from sectional.  This is a joke and it shows that restructuring must be done.  

I also don't like trying to justify why some sectionals or regionals are bad in general, especially since you can't help from year to year what your competition is you just wrestle with what is put in front of you.  No matter what sectional or regional you come from most of it gets evened out by semi-state or state and those that came to wrestle will do just that.

You can't fault a school for having a wrestlers at that spot just because several other schools don't.  If thats the case your advocating removing the weight not calling that particuar sectional a joke.  I'm sure they have other weights with several good wrestlers who all fought for the regional and semi-state spot.  

I think it shows the one round step from regional to semi-state qualfier does have some small faults in it for particular weight.  And sure it may make semi-state a little less significant that in previous years.  Not sure what the best way to fix the situation is thought.  Making sectionals small agian has some  drawbacks and doing away with regional would add mroe matches to sectinoanl and/or semi-state.

I also don't like making a point of proving why a sectional is the worse.

I am sorry I shouldn't have said it was a joke.  I want better wrestling for indiana and thats a fact.  I was just bringing up some facts and people got mad.  It is an achievement no matter what to win sectionals, but it would be nice to get the talent more spread out through the sectionls.

I am sorry I shouldn't have said it was a joke.  I want better wrestling for indiana and thats a fact.  I was just bringing up some facts and people got mad.  It is an achievement no matter what to win sectionals, but it would be nice to get the talent more spread out through the sectionls.

So your issue isn't with the state tournment series then its with the youth development program statewide.  I'd say we need to continue to develop youth wrestling at local, in all regions, and at the state level, as well.  But this is by suggesting, organizing, and even helping with youth related wrestling activities not pointing out the worse of high school sectionals.  None of us have all the answer but we do need to find good ways to pool the ideas we do have, get them to an organization that will refine them into a plan, and distribute them to those that will make a difference in their areas.

I'm not sure we have always done that in the past and I'm sure finances and time play a huge factor, but obviously to keep Indiana wrestling improving we need to keep the ball rolling at all levels.

This is where I disagree a little I think you should treat it like any problem.  Us as a state have to diagnose where help is needed I think agreat way to do that is find sectionals with bad results.  These are the areas that need help.  Maybe in the form of RTC or camps or whatever it may be. I mean why try and fix Mishawaka?  Are they broken?    Fix the broken parts of the state and it will up the level all the way arround.

Yorktown is really not a small school. In football there are 5 classes and they are 3A. In basketball there are 4 classes and they are 3A.

Technically in wrestling, Yorktown is a small school.  They are in the bottom half of the enrollment when looking at all the schools that have wrestling.  They are close to the top, but still would be considered small if we had two classes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.