Final Team Regional Rankings (Top 8 & Sectional Favorites)

maligned

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated through January 17 now.  Not much has changed.

Decbell: I kept them in the same order (EMD, Castle, Reitz) because of quality of wins.  Reitz may be the best of the 3, but we don't have enough to go on.  EMD beat Merrillville and Bloomington South, Castle beat Bellmont and Penn, and Reitz's second-best victory is a 10-point win out of the Top 20.  I gave you some more thoughts about slotting in a pm.

MD does not deserve a number one ranking!  They lost at home 36-21.  This was in MD's gym and it was not a competitive match.  It does not matter that Reitz has not wrestled anyone else.  They beat the number one team soundly and it was recent.  Reitz is solid and they proved on the mat that they deserve to finally climb above MD.  Anybody that knows wrestling and witnessed the match would agree.  They are all 1-1.  The only thing that seperates them is Castle and MD lost by double digits.  Reitz dominated MD and lost a close one to Castle.  Rankings should be Reitz/Castle/MD.

Yeah, again, we're splitting hairs trying to separate them.  If you want to compare victory margins, then we have to bring in other results too: EMD 47, Memorial 9; Reitz 34, Memorial 24.  These matches happened just before Christmas--well after football.  If we're going simply on wins and losses, then they're all three at 1-1 amongst each other and the only option is to look at strength of victories outside of the duals amongst themselves.  Again, there's no way to say EMD is better than Reitz because we know what happened in the dual.  But there's also no way to say Reitz is better than Castle...and no way to say Castle is better than EMD.  So we go with the data we have available until the top team proves themselves in the tournament.  Catfish: I explained a couple more things in a p.m.  Thanks for your thoughtful posts.

Peru:

1.McCutcheon*

2.Delphi

3.Lafayette Jeff

4.W. Lafayette Harrison

This will be a fight at sectionals!  All four of these teams are at the Jeff sectional.  The HCC meet was crazy with Harrison edging McCutcheon and Jeff....Sectionals belong to any of these 4 teams!!!!  With the winner likely going to team state!

MD will be 3rd. It will come down between Reitz and Castle. How will it go this time

personally its nice to see the talent come up and have fierce competition but i'm hoping Castle comes out again for the win and another shot at a team state

I made a couple of small changes based on recent results and recently having seen earlier results that I didn't know about before.  Chesterton and Lake Central moved up a slot each.  Elkhart Memorial traded places with Goshen.  WL Harrison moved up a slot (I consider their tourney victory over McCutcheon/Jeff about half as important as their dual losses to the same teams).  That's about it for changes.

A couple more small changes because of old results I've been looking through: Southwood joins the fold in the Peru regional (they should have a say at sectional; I'd completely missed their results before).  Also, I somehow didn't realize the consistency of performances by North Central...they're fringe top 20 at worst, so they've moved up a couple spots as well

MD will be 3rd. It will come down between Reitz and Castle. How will it go this time

personally its nice to see the talent come up and have fierce competition but i'm hoping Castle comes out again for the win and another shot at a team state

I think that it is up for grabs, MD is diffently dropping off but I do think that after getting thier butts handed to them they have improved and Reitz is on a roll. Not taking anything away from Castle they have good group of wrestlers but it will come down to which coach gets their young men fired up, with that being said MD will not be a factor. MD is NOT wrestling like the teams before them and there is no motivation from the coaches. That is the observation of an outsider looking in. This my opinion and opinions are like well you know and they all stink!

Now that sectional brackets have been released and we know everyone's record, I see Huntington North being favored in 8 of 14 matches against Delphi and McCutcheon. I have them at 7-7 with Lafayette Jeff. Huntington finally has its full lineup back and I think they are being very underestimated going into Team Regionals Wednesday.

Now that sectional brackets have been released and we know everyone's record, I see Huntington North being favored in 8 of 14 matches against Delphi and McCutcheon. I have them at 7-7 with Lafayette Jeff. Huntington finally has its full lineup back and I think they are being very underestimated going into Team Regionals Wednesday.

They have to beat Peru first.  I wouldn't count your eggs first

They have to beat Peru first.  I wouldn't count your eggs first

If I remember correctly Huntington beat them handly at the Peru duals with out all of their kids. Now with a full line-up, Huntington beats them AGAIN with even more team points.

UPDATED: Now that I've seen all the results necessary to finish the Genius ratings, here are my final opinions about each team regional's top teams.  The "favorites" star (*) doesn't mean those are necessarily my personal pick to win sectional, but they are the team I feel has done the most to deserve the ranking or "favorite" label.

Haha, have you seen the Peru sectional brackets?

Unless someone from HN quits, I don't see any way that Peru beats them. Huntington will finish higher than them in 9 weight classes. Peru is not the same team as the last few years.

Good Call! I see you enjoyed calling out the marion Folks for talkin their team up on another post, well how about how you've blown HN Team up on several posts only to see them not make it out of Sectional! They do have a fine young Team but with several posts like this you took it a bit far!

Unless someone from HN quits, I don't see any way that Peru beats them. Huntington will finish higher than them in 9 weight classes. Peru is not the same team as the last few years.

Pretty sure nobody from Huntington quit and Peru beat them

Good Call! I see you enjoyed calling out the marion Folks for talkin their team up on another post, well how about how you've blown HN Team up on several posts only to see them not make it out of Sectional! They do have a fine young Team but with several posts like this you took it a bit far!

Actually, I think my post was about as true as can be. The fact that they forfeited 189 instead of having the 2 seed kept them from winning. It's pretty cut and dry.

You really missed this one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.