MD vs Reitz.

md85

MD was straight up out wrestled.  They wanted this more.  They got their share of bonus points as well.  MD had no answer on the mat.  Everytime Reitz got a take down, they threw in the legs and MD had no answer for that.  They should have been ready for it since that was nothing new.  Reitz 215 gassed bad, but MD could take advantage of that and lost 3-2.  Sims gassed bad (at least that's what it looked like to me) and had to take injury time.  Reitz almost pulled an upset there.  Only 2 kids from MD looked ready for this match, Boots and Brandenstein.  Everybody else looked like they were going through the motions.

Sectionals will be interesting now.  If MD wrestles like they did last night, I don't see them beating Reitz.

Congratulations to Reitz on winning the city title. 

Congratulations to MD on a great 32 year run of city title.  Maybe we can get it back next year.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will anyone post individual results?

171 - MD fall

189 - R fall

215 - R 3-2

HVY - R fall

103 - R 12-6

112 - R major

119 - R 10-4?

125 - MD dec

130 - R dec

135 - R major

140 - MD dec

145 - MD dec

152 - R dec

160 MD fall

I believe we are witnessing the death of a dynasty.  Last year and this year both were down years for talent.  MD has had down talent years before.  But never before have I seen a year where 2 varsity wrestlers from the year before don't even go out, one sure varsity starter doesn't go out, and another sure varsity wresler doesn't think it is important enough for him to crack a book.  I had a teacher at MD one time told me she could tell when wrestling season started because all the wrestlers stayed awake in class so they would be able to compete.  Guess it is just not important anymore. :'(

md85

Regional Qualifier

Cool Points: 3

[wahoo] [boo]

[]Posted by: md85 

Insert Quote

I believe we are witnessing the death of a dynasty.  Last year and this year both were down years for talent.  MD has had down talent years before.  But never before have I seen a year where 2 varsity wrestlers from the year before don't even go out, one sure varsity starter doesn't go out, and another sure varsity wresler doesn't think it is important enough for him to crack a book.  I had a teacher at MD one time told me she could tell when wrestling season started because all the wrestlers stayed awake in class so they would be able to compete.  Guess it is just not important anymore. 

For some of them wrestling may not be as important due to several reasons.  Some have decided that they want to concentrate on Football,(rumor/ fan expectations has it that there is a shot at a state title in the next couple of years)  Others decided that they just couldnt cut it, they say that practices too hard, the fans expect too much.  With the economy as it is other wrestlers have had to go to public education as private costs and family cost go up. As to not studing there is a thing called personal and parental responsibility and if a student isnt cutting it in the classroom it is his and the parents job to make an education the # 1 priority. After all you wont make a living out of high school/ or go to college  having a 1.5 GPA and 2 or 3 state titles.

BUT the biggest problem is Being King of the Hill you have a target on your back and you get EVERY teams best; week in and week out.  The Coaches are working hard , the wrestlers are giving it their all,  maybe sometimes a SCHOOL needs a WAKE UP CALL. If you win all the time it is expected to be the norm and no one gives it a second thought till you lose. IMO

It was inevitable.  Although we MD fans expect to go to win the city, SIAC, sectionals, and go to state every year, that is probably a bit unreasonable.  The wrestling in SW Indiana is getting stronger at a time when MD seems to have had a drop off in talent.  I do expect them to bounce back and wrestle much better at sectionals, because if they don't it will be a long off season for them.  How many teams around the country can say they were the best in their city for 32 straight years?  Not many.  We should be proud of that and continue working to get that title back from Reitz next year.

Next year should be up ontop of the hill. I was hoping that it wouldnt take that long to wake up -- I hope 9 days of hard practice is more than enough motivation.  I kjust feel bad for the JV they worked hard - won - and will take the brunt of the frustration from the varsity.    :)

First of all it was a great night of wrestling.  Intense atmosphere.  Reitz has finally got the monkey off their back.  This will do a lot for their program.  K to 12. With tutuion prices and the crack in MD armor.  MD will be tough but not the same.  It is an uphill battle.  Less kids lower motivation equals a slide in production.  That being said MD will always be tough.

I think we need to focus where the focus should be here.  It is really NOT a matter of MD being "down" or any of that stuff.

For literally decades we have listened to (the fact) that an MD JV team could beat most of the Varsity offerings from even of the best of programs.  It was a steady diet of defeat that honestly programs have gotten REALLY sickof having to choke down.  Coach Ferguson and his staff, as well as Coach Harmon and the guys at Castle have shown that they are able to field teams that can win against this program.  For those of us who have been around this area and have witnessed all this unfold over the years, it's been obvious that the train was coming, slow and plodding, but still moving. 

My hat is off to the Mater Dei program.  They have always had a great team and will be a force no matter when you see them on the mat.  But the fact is the guard is changing state wide.  Schools that had no program at all a few years ago are hitting their strides.  Programs are reaping the benefit of the hard work, blood, sweat, and tears of the coaches, and the kids who wrestled before them.  Programs are built through one single leg, one push up, and one stride on a long run, at a time.  The people put in the work and the rewards come.  The programs across the state are catching up and honestly passing the perinal favorites.  It's natures way of keeping balance. 

Honestly I have not seen the enduring benefit of have ONE program always on top.  Does it motivate?  I am sure it does in some ways, but it can also detract a great deal.  Just food for thought...

Congrats to Reitz...A hard fought and well earned win!

I'm really sick of the whole Mater Dei is down thing. What are you down from.......being number one all the way down to number two in the state. You take all the credit away from teams that you've beat this year like Merrillville (who at the time were ranked 2nd in the state). So your saying that these teams are even worse than it appears on paper or in a meet. Come on get over yourselves, you got beat by a superior team in Reitz. You stood on top of the hill so long you lost your edge and Castle and Reitz found it! I have know doubt in my mind that you'll wrestle above your so called ability the rest of the year. But dont take away from Reitz what they have worked so hard for by tainting the win with all the down year talk its a load of crap. In the words of Forrest Gump "thats all i got to say bout that".

I think when they are saying MD is having a down year they mean that only one senior is on varsity.  Only about 4 seniors are even on the team.  It seems weird to say that MD has more freshman on varsity than seniors. 

Take nothing away from Reitz, they have a ton of talent.  They have had it for years.  They came to wrestle last night.  They out worked MD, they out  hustled MD, and they had the desire to win.  It will be a great match between Castle and Reitz this Saturday.  The SIAC will be a great one to watch next saturday.

I do think it's a fair assessment to say that MD is down this year.  When I say that, I'm thinking in terms of the fact that MD has more freshmen on the Varsity team than they do seniors and giving up two forfeits during a JV match has been typically unheard of in the past, I'm not talking about the quality of the wrestlers or the quality of the wrestlers in other programs around the state.

Personally, I love that Reitz and Castle's programs (and outlying schools like Forest Park, Mt. Vernon), have really stepped up their programs..good, close matches are what it's all about...not that I don't love to win (believe me, I do)...but when you beat teams by 40+ points all the time it's really not all that exciting.  Plus, the better ALL the teams in Southern Indiana get, the more respect we earn and the more the rest of the states sees what truly talented kids we do have down here. 

IMO, and it's just that, my opinion, I think (in looking at years past), part of what made the MD kids so tough was the battle they had to do week to week in their own wrestling room to earn the Varsity spot at almost every weight, where 2-3 kids were all ready to challenge you week in and week out.  That kind of competition in your own wrestling room, naturally makes you tougher against competing schools.  Obviously they don't have that this year if they're giving up Reserve FF's. 

All that being said, Congrats to Reitz on the win last night...it was a long time coming.  Things have gotten interesting..and I can't wait to see the battle continue.  Reitz's wrestlers looked good (as always...Houchins, Rueger)...but I think Van Hook probably surprised me the most...great little 103 lbr...can't wait to see more of him.  The truth is...when they're not wrestling MD...I'm screaming my head off for all the Southern Indiana boys!  Both teams have quality reserves and middle school kids coming up, so the next few years should be fun. Can't wait for the tournament series!!

Here's what I have from last night:

Varsity:

171 MD Fall

189 R Fall

215 R  5-2 dec.

275 R Fall

112 R  TF 15-0

119 R  8-4 dec.

125 MD 6-2 dec.

130 R  3-2 dec.

135 R 10-1 major

140 MD 3-1 dec.

145 MD 7-5 dec.

152 R 4-0 dec.

160 MD Fall

Reitz 36  MD 21

Reserves:

171 MD Fall

189 MD Fall

215 MD Fall

275 MD Fall

103 R 4-1 dec.

112 R FF

119 R 1-0 dec.

125 R FF

130 MD Fall

135 MD Fall

140 MD Fall

145 MD TF

152 R 10-2 major

160 R 3-0 dec.

MD 47 Reitz 25

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.