Open mats near Elkhart

wrestlinghog

Hi, my son goes to Concord High School, and their wrestling program is not very strong. They will have almost no preseason practices, with the head wrestling coach coaching 9th grade football this year. My son went to 3-4 camps this past summer and Mishawaka, Memorial, and Penn open mats. He still goes to a training camp on Sundays in Edwardsburg, Michigan. We have mats in our basement, and I try to drill with him alot, but I'm 41 and really don't challenge him. So does anyone know of any open mats semi-close to Elkhart area going on right now?

Thanks, Tom Hogendobler

This was posted on another thread by Cale A. Hoover HSWCA President and ISWA Junior Director .  Make sure what ever you do is within the rules.

"The open room policy was also discussed, and on Monday the IHSAA ruled on this policy.  We were told that the IHSAA would be looking into open rooms very closely because they are concerned about undue influence.  With Indiana?s decision to allow parents to choose the public school of their choice, the worry is recruiting will be an issue.  I want to remind all of members and schools that open rooms are for students of your school only and are voluntary.  You cannot invite kids from around the state to attend open rooms.  If you want to kids from other schools you must be a USA Wrestling (ISWA) or HYWAY club and every kid there must be a member as well.  If they are not you are in violation.  ISWA sponsored RTC?s are within the spirit of the rule as long as all participants are USA Wrestling card holders.

We were given some advice on this matter by the commissioners.  Do not advertise on IHSWCA.com or Indianamat.com as having open rooms where others are invited.  You need to come up with another name for the workout and make sure all participants are a club member (USA Wrestling or HYWAY).  I ask you as the Junior Director for the ISWA that you do not call them RTC?s unless you are an ISWA recognized RTC." 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.