Weight Changes

I'm all for making the weight change this year after looking at our pre-season kids and last years line up projections.  We have way to much of a cluster at the upper weights and wouldn't mind getting another one in the line up.

Looks like more people think 103 should be changed than not... Wonder what happened to all the people who attack me when i say that!?!

OK Mr Persecution.  The passion to get rid of the lowest weight class because it's so easy to get a varsity letter based only on size is somewhat misguided.  The folks that support it believe that if we do get rid of a weight class dominated by underclassmen it will improve the sport dramiatically because then all the big boys will feel better and they'll stay out for all 4 years rather than quit.  Stats support arguments.  The only way this argument can be supported is if there are exit interviews done with every freshman or sophomore upper weight kid that asks him why he's quitting the sport.  I feel pretty confident numbers like this haven't been compiled nor these interviews done.  Again, I can't disagree with getting rid of forfeits and if raising 103 to 106/107 will do that, bravo.  Just leave the discussion about fairness or unfairness of little guys getting a varsity letter out of the equation.  It's your opinion or feeling, not fact.

Looks like more people think 103 should be changed than not... Wonder what happened to all the people who attack me when i say that!?!

OK Mr Persecution.  The passion to get rid of the lowest weight class because it's so easy to get a varsity letter based only on size is somewhat misguided.  The folks that support it believe that if we do get rid of a weight class dominated by underclassmen it will improve the sport dramiatically because then all the big boys will feel better and they'll stay out for all 4 years rather than quit.  Stats support arguments.  The only way this argument can be supported is if there are exit interviews done with every freshman or sophomore upper weight kid that asks him why he's quitting the sport.  I feel pretty confident numbers like this haven't been compiled nor these interviews done.  Again, I can't disagree with getting rid of forfeits and if raising 103 to 106/107 will do that, bravo.  Just leave the discussion about fairness or unfairness of little guys getting a varsity letter out of the equation.  It's your opinion or feeling, not fact.

Well put!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not well put; it hardly makes any sense; mainly because you argued against a point I never made (this seems to be a very common tactic)

I never said we should get rid of 103 because it is too easy for freshman to get a varisty letter. I said it is the least competitive, and there were some fairly compelling statistics to back that up. I dont really see how your long term cross-sectional study will have anything to do with raising the 103 limit a few pounds.

Also, to point out, i never said let's drop the lower weights; all i am in favor of is moving 103 up to about 110. Aparently to you this means i hate children and am personally offended when a freshman has success, probably because I was a four year J.V. wrestler(jest from last years discussion) and I'm envious. (I figured i'd save you the trouble of a reply and just jot down what you had planned to write.)

That's not well put; it hardly makes any sense; mainly because you argued against a point I never made (this seems to be a very common tactic)

I never said we should get rid of 103 because it is too easy for freshman to get a varisty letter. I said it is the least competitive, and there were some fairly compelling statistics to back that up. I dont really see how your long term cross-sectional study will have anything to do with raising the 103 limit a few pounds.

Also, to point out, i never said let's drop the lower weights; all i am in favor of is moving 103 up to about 110. Aparently to you this means i hate children and am personally offended when a freshman has success, probably because I was a four year J.V. wrestler(jest from last years discussion) and I'm envious. (I figured i'd save you the trouble of a reply and just jot down what you had planned to write.)

Very bitter.  I never said my cross sectional study supports raising 103 a few pounds.  Others have stated that the reason 103 is not a viable weight class is b/c it's too easy for an underclassmen to get a varsity letter and I, apparently, wrongly lumper you in that category.  103 is the least competitive why?  I would guess you would say it's b/c it's dominated by freshmen.  So underlassmen aren't competitive?  That makes makes sense on some level, I'm just trying to figure out what level.  Stats support this?  The only thing studies show is that 103 is dominated by Freshmen.  How does that support lack of competitiveness?  Can only upperclassmen be competitive?  I'm sure you were a successful wrestler in your time.  I may misquote but leave the name calling to others.  I don't know if you hate children or not but you sure don't approve of underclassmen wrestling varsity.  BTW, your little survey hasn't been the landslide you expected for changing 103.  Pretty even I'd say.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.