Indiana Greco Under the Microscope???

JTM2004

Indiana at times has standouts but never will be a powerhouse if we dont stop treating Greco like the blacksheep of wrestling styles.  We as a wrestling community put so much weight on folkstyle and have in recent years taken away from freestyle and greco by extending the folkstyle season.  So if we are even going to think about producing champions at the national level we need to put the same efforts into are Greco Roman programs and trainings as we do our folk/freestyle programs.  That is just my thoughts.  Let me know what you all think.

I refer back to my post about finding a way to change the dates of the season in some way.  By having such a short crammed together season we end up doing a great diservice to the style, the athletes, and the coaches involved.  Finding a way to spread things out a little would improve learning, participation, and excitement about both freestyle and greco.  Right now by the time you actually get into learning and and practicing a style for competition the season is basically over.  Right now Greco does not have that many events but by having the season go a little later is that more clubs may be willing to host a greco event along with or seperate from their freestyle one. 

Another factor with both styles is that the rules constantly changing require coaches and athletes to cotinuously keep up on the style.  That because hard for some people to keep up on the rules the style is not taught as much in the club programs.  Greco seems to be the first one to be left behind as many coaches feel freestyle has more of a connection with the general folkstyle moveset.  Again a slightly longer season would give move coaches and athletes a chance to learn and practice the rules so they are more comfortable with Greco and have chance to try it in competition before the end of the season occurs.

That because hard for some people to keep up on the rules the style is not taught as much in the club programs. 

I can see that, the first time Greco was addressed with our club was when we had 4 kids qualify for SB duals in Greco this year! They do however focus on freestyle unlike some of the clubs in our area. I know one doesn't even do freestyle and their kids who do migrate over to us for that abbriviated season. We have great coaches who are willing to do whatever it takes to see our boys succed and I applaud them for their completely voluntary efforts! (Thanks Brig, Eric and Bink!) Honestly we only have a handful of boys who compete in greco but they have all been very succesful at it. I would love to see all styles of wrestling get equal time!

I agree wholeheartedly! I also don't understand why freestyle and greco are treated like "the redheaded stepchildren". My son prefers both to folkstyle.

This is why Indiana will always be the redheaded stepchild to all of the elite wrestling states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc.

I agree wholeheartedly! I also don't understand why freestyle and greco are treated like "the redheaded stepchildren". My son prefers both to folkstyle.

This is why Indiana will always be the redheaded stepchild to all of the elite wrestling states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc.

What's greco and where can I get some? 8)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.