Final Team Results From Nationals (Fargo)

MattM

Being the Folkstyle Director for the ISWA I have looked into a Team Indiana trip to the Disney Duals - It wouldnt workout to well because of the rules state that 6 wrestlers must be from the same high school.

Even in the All-State/District division?

Guest momofwrestlers

I'm not sure who stated, "kids who didn't qualify shouldn't go to Fargo", but I  disagree.  My son is one that did not qualify, yet he received a call from a team leader asking him to be on the team.  Without hesitation, he said YES!  It was something he never thought he would get to do & to be asked was quite an honor. 

He also went to all weekend tournaments, state tournaments, Disney Duals then Fargo, then throw in Middle School Duals in Danville for another son  NO, we  are not made of money & did not just "write a check"

What we did do was alot of fundrasing (through our wrestling program) & sent out letters asking for sponsors.  We didn't pay a penny for Disney or Fargo.  It can be done.

If the wrestler or parents really want to go to Fargo it can be done. It's not easy, but nothing is life is.  Start now, then next year, you could have the money.  There are several ways.  I speak from experience.  I have had 2 sons go to Fargo & have not paid a dime.  Thanks to family, friends & sponsors. 

My boys  enjoyed the experience & gained alot of confidence, met alot of new kids, different coaching, plus the camp at St Joes'. 

If it weren't for being asked this year - my son,  would have never had that kind of experience - is that something you want to take away from a kid who might not be a qualifier?  I hope not. 

Dingo, I disagree 100% percent Fargo is ot an "open" but a national event that wrestlers are suppossed to qualify for and wanting to go doesn't qualify a kid...I guess we should let everyone who wants to wrestle at high state state wrestle there too?  Returning Fargo to the true qualifiers would increase the competition in the state, clubs and the few local tournaments so that the kids can qualify instead of just asking mommy and daddy to write a check because they "want" to go.  Wrestling is about working hard to achieve success not just "wanting" to be good.

Did anyone notice that Indiana does host schoolboy duals and costs for the kids is still ridiculous, ask a few of the parnets how mucg they paid to attend a tournamant here iy was still ov $600 each and thene $10 per person per day to watch and that is without hotel and food costs since many didn'y live in the Indy area.

You know your statement is quite idiotic.  Mom and dad should not have to apologize for being able to send their kids to an event that their kids want to go to and were asked to attend.  How about you work harder and earn more money to "achieve success not just "wanting" to be good"

Just to clear up the cost for schoolboy duals...it was 350 for 1 style, 375 for both, which included the entry fees and the 3 day camp. Each boy recieved 2 singlets (blue and red), 1 windbreaker type shirt, 1 team indiana shirt, 1 pair of shorts, 1 back pack, 1 blood rag and an 8x10 team picture taken by one of the coaches on a digital camera. (the extra 25 for both styles was the 2nd picture). I believe the junior duals was close to 600, but they were held in Oklahoma City (one of our club kids took 1st at state and I looked at his packet, to compare the cost LOL)

It was a bit expensive, but not that bad.

The singlets were nice, I saw better/cooler and I saw worse. Anyone notice Kansas' singlets had a dopplar radar screen shot? NICE! LOL (we are orginally from Kansas and I had to laugh at that one!) None of our kids complained about them, they were all just thrilled to be able to compete. Our Club sent 7 kids who were thrilled with the experience!

Disney Duals is an AAU tournament, ISWA is a USAW organization.  AAU and USAW are not friends.

Just to clarify...although the IWSA is an affiliate of USA Wrestling, the ISWA exists, first and foremost to promote wrestling in the state of Indiana. From 1978 until 1991 the ISWA was affiliated with AAU. When USA Wrestling became the national goverining body for wrestling in the US, the ISWA made the decision to switch to USAW because AAU was a multi-sport organization with only a small amount of their revenue going to promote wrestling. At that time, the ISWA felt it was better to pay a little more for membership because USA Wrestling was about promoting wrestling and only wrestling. However, the ISWA's primary goal is and has always been to do what is best for the kids in Indiana. If that means a trip to an AAU tournament, then so be it.

Keep up the "boos" thats too funny, maybe I hit a nerve!  No, I don't think a wrestler who cannot place high enough at the state tournament or a regional should be offered the opportunity to go and compete at Fargo, so sorry to sound mean.  Fargo is a qualifier tournament, USAW has allowed the states to determine their qualifying process but apparently Indiana doesn't feel there is anything required to qualify.  Why even waste the money to hand out "qualifier" packets at state, just hang up a sign up list and everyone can add their name and the coaches or team leaders can just pick later, it's the same thing.  There are other "open" tournments to choose from so stop trying to water down the brackets for everyone else by sending kids that shouldn't be there, obviously the "send them all" practice yielded very poor results for the year.  Keep your throwback singlets (and yes many kids I have talked to hated them) and take everyone who wants to go and then the state can continue to look like the weakest wrestling state in the midwest.  The argument can be made just look at the Big 10 results.  Indiana has some outstanding wrestlers who can and should be recognized and applauded but when we place seomthing like 7 out of over 100 we look weak and those 7 look like flukes instead of the great wrestlers they are.  The idea of raising the costs for state or raising card costs is ridiculous, the cost for state is already one of the highest in the country and almost double the cost of many states.  Like I said boo away, but we should not be sending kids to Fargo who can't handle a top 3 finish in the state, that's why it's a qualify tournament somebody gets left out they're big booys let them set the goal to qualify the next year and when they achieve that goal it will mean even more on and off the mat.   

You know if less kids go, the costs will be more to attend, right?  The biggest fixed cost for the trip to Fargo are the buses.  The buses charge the same whether they have 5 people or 50 people on them. 

Also, almost every state does the same exact qualifying system as we do.  If the automatic qualifiers do not choose to go, they ask the 4th, 5th, etc placers if they want to go.  Indiana is no different than all the other states when it comes to who goes to this event.  Some states just have a ton more depth than we do.

Why would you need a bus for 5 kids?? Seems like a smaller group could get the costs down a little. Yes I know how some other states qualify kids but not that many states are willing to go below 5th and that's in the case of a particularily deep weight class.  Look at the overall numbers from the other states doesn't look like everyone else filled all the possible spots.  Quality is better than quantity, are we really desperate enough to send kids that didn't place even place?  Pull the rosters and compare them to the state results, especially in juniors. 

Are you really proposing we only take five kids?  So the ISWA motto should be, "only here for the good wrestlers, others too bad you suck?"

I just looked at Ohio's state finals and noticed many names not even at their state finals including Ty Mitch who was a national champion didn't participate in their state finals.  By your criteria, he shouldn't been allowed to go, right?

Junior Greco 20 total(45 spots allotted)

11 Top 3 finishers

5 did not go to greco state(1 did qualify at Central Regionals)

Other placers

5th, 5th, 7th(qualified at Central Regionals), 8th

Junior Freestyle 36 Total(45 spots allotted)

20 Top 3 finishers

2 Did not participate in freestyle state

5 Did not place at freestyle state

Other finishers:

3- 4ths

5th

6th- Did qualify at Central Regionals

2- 7ths(one did become an All-American)

2- 8ths

Cadet Freestyle 35 total(51 spots allotted)

Top 3 finishers- 21

2 wrestlers did not got to freestyle state(one qualified at FILA Cadets)

2 wrestlers did not place

Other placings

6-4ths

3- 5ths

1- 6th

In Cadet Greco we took 17 out of a possibility of 51 spots. 

Free spots on the roster this year

Cadet Greco- 34

Cadet Freestyle- 19(Three wrestlers qualified at Central Regionals)

Junior Greco- 22(Two wrestlers qualified at Central Regionals)

Junior Freestyle- 12(Three wrestlers qualified at Central Regionals)

Being the Folkstyle Director for the ISWA I have looked into a Team Indiana trip to the Disney Duals - It wouldnt workout to well because of the rules state that 6 wrestlers must be from the same high school.

Matt,

After looing into it alittle more - We could put together a team from Indiana for the District / All Star Team.  I will put together a proposal and present it to the ISWA Board at the budget meeting in two weeks.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Here are the last two years in comparison to the number of kids going to Fargo.  Last year we had a really good year, this year not so much.  There is very little difference in the teams week took in either year.

Junior Greco

2008 2009

Total 25 20

Top 3 14 11

4th  2 0

5th 1 2

6th 0 0

7th 1 1

8th 0 1

Not go 6 5

Not place 1 0

Junior Freestyle

2008 2009

Total 34 36

Top 3 17 20

4th 1 3

5th 2 1

6th 2 1

7th 1 2

8th 2 2

Not go 7 2

Not place 2 5

Cadet Greco

2008 2009

Total 26 17

Top 3 20 14

4th 2 3

5th 1 0

6th 0 0

7th 1 0

8th 0 0

Not go 6 0

Not place 1 0

Cadet Freestyle

2008 2009

Total 40 35

Top 3 25 21

4th 5 6

5th 1 3

6th 1 1

7th 2 0

8th 1 0

Not go 3 2

Not place 2 2

Matt,

After looing into it alittle more - We could put together a team from Indiana for the District / All Star Team.  I will put together a proposal and present it to the ISWA Board at the budget meeting in two weeks.  Thanks for setting me straight.

No problem, I just think its a great event and would love to see even more Indiana success at it.  This would be a great tune up event (though different styles) for those able to front the cost of both there and Fargo.  And just a great experiance trip because of the amount of decent matches you get for those only able or willing to participate in Disney.  It would be nice to say the qualifier for the DD was USA Folkstyle state, but the event at the cadet and junior level may need to move to a more central location to ensure more participate statewide.  I you could also include IHSAA state finalist into the list of possible candidates too though.  butI knew in the community divisions the rules were a little more sticky, but I thought the District/AllStar Division allowed for more freedom in who could wrestled.  I know some teams end up recruiting some wrestlers not even from their state in order to make a whole team. 

Just to clarify (not to start another argument)...

In most of the cases where a wrestler did not place at state, he usually qualified in the other style and there was an opening.  So, it's not just letting some random kid go.  The wrestler did qualify to be part of the overall Team Indiana.

This year was the 10th time I've gone out to Fargo to coach.  I also went 4 times as a wrestler.  I've seen it go from a huge honor to make the team with all of the studs attending to where we are now.  The cost is not the biggest obstacle - the raise in price is comparable to inflation from when I was going.  I would like to see the cost go down, and the ISWA will be examining ways to do this.  A bigger obstacle is the expanding list of opportunities throughout the summer.  I would have loved to have participated in Folkstyle Nationals, Disney Duals, Cadet Duals, Fila Cadets, and Fila Juniors but those tournaments didn't exist back then.  Kids simply do not have the time and/or money to do everything, so they have to make choices.  We need to find a way to promote Fargo as the best choice for our elite wrestlers. 

I know from our own family costs does come into play. We have discussed our plans for next year. We simply will be putting our pennys back for fargo for 2010.  I try to send one of the three to some sort of national tournament a year. One of the boys was lucky enough to go to Cadet Duals in June. We are in hopes of getting all three to Fargo in 2010. Working on a plan now so we can afford to send them next year. Then maybe it will really mean something to them when they do attend. 

rebels4life,

I'm not sure of the age of your kids, but a great tournament that is very light on the pocketbook is FILA Cadet Nationals in Akron, Ohio.  The FILA Cadet age group is 15-17 years old, so a first year Junior can wrestle in it.  The tournament has some top notch competition from throughout the country.  I took four kids this year and the cost was at most $200 per kid after hotel, food, entry and gas.  This is a great tournament that I do not see as many Indiana kids taking advantage of as they should.  The tournament is in late April, this year being the weekend before state.  I just thought I'd pass that along to you or anyone else that is looking to see some great competition and limit the cost. 

Y2CJ41,

Thanks for the info..I read some of your post from last year on the Fila Cadets.  The twins will be  11th grade  and my youngest will be in 10th.  All three will be in the junior div. this coming year.  The tournament I know is top notch from reading your past post. Thanks for info, we are in hopes of placing at state and making to Fargo next year.  I hav gotten some great ideas from reading this post. The boys want to go, so we will just put together a plan on raising some money for the trip..Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.